MMA-UFC UFC 245 Discussion - 3 Belts on the line

Remove this Banner Ad

maybe but Colby was done especially with the jaw so the ref had to stop it.

I dunno, on one hand the Jaw thing means it was a smart stoppage but he hasn't been checked by a doctor, maybe it's fine and in that case is it an early stoppage? I think it was a couple seconds early especially as Colby is a good wrestler and maybe could have scrambled. But whatever, it's not embarassing or anything just slightly imo. Could easily have been another couple seconds of hammer fists.

Not quite...
excTMsH.jpg

All three judges had Poirier up 3-1 going into the fifth round. Completely unfair to say Poirier 'held on' when he beat Max 4-1 in all three judge's eyes. It was one way traffic in eyes of the people whose opinions matter the most.
everyone knows the judges arent very good

if you look online the majority of people scoring were 2-2, some 3-1 poirier

Last edited:
missed most fights, will watch soon. Main event was a cracker, co-main was decent but good to see a new Australian champion.

Volkan's leg kicking was brutal - great way to stop max's forward pressure and get him worrying about something other than the hands.

Was funny seeing Usman and Colby kickboxing, but Usman's power/cleanliness on the feet really stood out. Can't praise Colby's toughness enough, and he was looking alright at points even in rounds 4+5.

I dunno, on one hand the Jaw thing means it was a smart stoppage but he hasn't been checked by a doctor, maybe it's fine and in that case is it an early stoppage? I think it was a couple seconds early especially as Colby is a good wrestler and maybe could have scrambled. But whatever, it's not embarassing or anything just slightly imo. Could easily have been another couple seconds of hammer fists.

I don't think the jaw being broken or not played any part in the refs decision. He got dropped twice (or was it three times?) in quick succession and was in a position where he couldn't defend himself very well. Colby certainly loses no friends over it, he fought a terrific fight and was trying right up to the point it was stopped.

That's a good point. Having that kind of reach advantage clearly changes the dynamic when it comes to striking. However, if the striking isn't working for Alex, he can get to work on the ground so there are options for him. Multiple avenues to victory for Volk and that's why I like his chances. I want to see if he can control a longer body like Max's on the ground. I feel that will be a huge factor if the fight ends up on the canvas.
well in the end Volk managed to stop the forward press through his leg kicking. Seemed to catch Max off guard which was weird, considering he generally eats leg kicks in most of his fights. Great technique, showing he's more well rounded than I originally thought.

According to the commentators Colby was ahead on the judges card.

Only had to survive the last 50 seconds

Just seen the cards online. One had it 2-2, while the others had it 3-1 for each fighter. I gave up trying to score it because it was so close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just seen the cards online. One had it 2-2, while the others had it 3-1 for each fighter. I gave up trying to score it because it was so close.
i thought i heard Rogan and DC say Colby was winning but i wasnt pay full attention so i obviously misheard them.

Tbf one judge having a tie and the other two having a different winner each seemed about right. It was a hard fight to score a victory for either fighter and genuinly could have gone either way imo

The interesting thing was neither wanted to wrestle so obviously neither was confident enough in their ability to out wrestle the other. Even more suprising that Colby still wanted to stand and strike with a broken jaw, * that must have been painful. I thought for sure he would have tried to wrestle late on.

Surely these two go at it again at a later date, with their genuine hate for each other and a cracking first fight it would seem logical

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

well in the end Volk managed to stop the forward press through his leg kicking. Seemed to catch Max off guard which was weird, considering he generally eats leg kicks in most of his fights. Great technique, showing he's more well rounded than I originally thought.
Yes. It was the leg kicks that ended up serving Alex very well. Nice to see the overall striking playing in his favour and not just being reliant on his fists. One of the big advantages we have over the Americans is the level of striking in Australia/New Zealand/South East Asia is higher. It's usually the wrestling that lets us down but we know Alex's wrestling is solid.

so Dana just said Volk v Holloway rematch in Australia. He said Australia is a massive market for the UFC and that makes sense

Would be massive

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

classy loser, he won a lot of respect during that fight, but pissed it all away with this s**t

Oh, have a sook why don't ya.

The guy just fought 3 rounds with a broken jaw eating who knows how many power shots. Who knows the damage it's done.

Getting to a hospital should be his #1 priority.

Just caught up on the fights. Entertaining card. Exhausted by the end of it with all the titles fights pretty much going the distance

Faber did better than I thought he would but in the end Yan was just too good. Not sure how he would match up against Cejudos wrestling but probably deserves a shot now.

Definitely feel Aldo was robbed. He survived the early onslaught and head kicks from Marlon and seemed to control the rest of the fight so not sure what the judges saw there.

De Randamie gave Nunes her toughest challenge in a while but still won pretty comfortable. I thought she was ****ed when she ended up in that awkward triangle position on the ground but maybe De Randamie didn’t have the bjj skills to capitalise.

I’m absolutely stoked for Volkanovski. I used to live near the area he is from. Shellharbour is a little coastal town a couple of hours south of Sydney. It’s amazing that they now have produced a world champ. You could tell they had a game plan coming in with those leg kicks. Still have massive respect for Max, was able to land some decent combos but never really had any big moments in my opinion. I hope he gets the rematch.

Main event felt like a throw back to the old ufc days. The wrestling was always gonna cancel each other out so they pretty much just stood in the middle and trades blows. I found it hard to score because I felt like either one of them could have been knocked out at any time. I’m happy with the stoppage but Colby thinks he was robbed. I think Usman may have still got the decision had it gone all five but who knows.

Colby has earned my respect
Love him or hate him fighting on with a broken jaw and still being competitive is legendary. I had it 2 rounds each heading into the last. Could make a case for both guys tbh. Still think it was a tad early the stoppage but just my opinion. It’s a title fight & Colby has amazing scrambles.
Either way can’t complain. Great card didn’t disappoint. Usman & Colby are on another level to the rest of the division certainly made that clear

So happy with Volko such a well rounded fighter, as expected if he won the rematch down under, probs Sydney’s turn for a ppv in a 15k arena.

Sucks for Colby, unlucky that he’s body kinda let him down but he took some decent shots Usmans power significant in the end.

Looking forward to Usmans next fight back end of 20/early 21. You thought Woodley was a bad champ, Kamaru takes the cake. All set for the Jorge fight, Colby would’ve been way bigger but at least I really take a side this way.

and learns how to wrestle.
Surely he off the UFC roster until he learns a ground game too.

In his last fight I thought he showed improved ability to get back to his feet actually, his problem was he couldn't stop the TD in the first place. That Spivac seemed like a Judo/Sambo gun though, but yeah Tai is working on it.

Great show by Volk, i had him winning every round, great gameplan and he executed it well, never been so glad to lose a multi ha ha. Hoping he gets a chance to defend in Australia. I guess the rematch makes sense given Holloway's long reign, i don't see anything different happening in the rematch though.

Usman v Covington was entertaining, Colby sure toughed it out with the broken jaw and wasn't far off pulling it off. But not great class in running out of the octagon after the loss, to be expected though. I don't know who's next for Usman, you can be sure GSP ain't coming back for that one.

Nunes was a great win after some adversity, Aldo did well but didn't win imo, Faber to be expected but Yan looks like the real deal. All in all a fun card, long one, took all day (which I have no issue with!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back