What would it take for you to stop watching AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

The amount of times I've watched my club tease and rarely please you'd think would make most give up.

Mnup even if we don't have success in my lifetime the blind hope is always there. TBH I even watch a lot of neutral games just because it's interesting to watch compared to any other team sport.

I see a lot of whinging about changing the game, the standard, the corruption etc etc. Well while all that is true to varying degrees, thank your lucky stars we don't have soccer or rugby or motocross handball as our number one code to watch.

You've made precisely no case that it is not legitimate for people to call it the EPL. No case.

You might as well insist that I call your house "home"

I think we should change the name of our footy code to “Best Game on the Planet, Mofos”. It’s true, and according to the poster above, everybody would have to use exactly that term every time, because them’s the rules.

You've made precisely no case that it is not legitimate for people to call it the EPL. No case.

You might as well insist that I call your house "home"

The actual name is Premier League, that’s all he’s saying. Being obstinate about it because you don’t care for the sport says more about you. It’d be like calling the NBA the USBA because I’m not American.

The actual name is Premier League, that’s all he’s saying. Being obstinate about it because you don’t care for the sport says more about you. It’d be like calling the NBA the USBA because I’m not American.

It’s not premier though is it? Calling it premier is an arrogant statement, unless you state where it is premier.

It’s not premier though is it? Calling it premier is an arrogant statement, unless you state where it is premier.

It’s the only major football league called Premier League. Is La Liga and Serie A arrogant? Ridiculous thing to say. Not sure what the issue is just calling things by their actual name.

Lots of Australians, north Americans, sub continentals call it the English Premier league or the EPL. It is perfectly reasonable thing to do in cultures not submerged in soccer that tend to use acronyms to describe their sports leagues.

You are as obtuse as the other guy if you think it is me who is being obstinate rather than fools trying to insist that we dare not place an "E" in front of "PL".

It's actually fking ridiculous

It’s the only major football league called Premier League. Is La Liga and Serie A arrogant? Ridiculous thing to say. Not sure what the issue is just calling things by their actual name.

Most people in Australia wouldn’t know that La Liga means The league. But because it’s in Spanish, you could only get confused with South American nations as to its meaning. I think you should be ashamed because you are not using the proper term for the Spanish soccer competition. What hypocrisy! You should say “Campeonato Nacional de Liga de Primera División” every time because that is its actual name.

Sèrie A is not Arrogant. Unless that is what A stands for.

The EPL was only set up in 1992, as the Football Association Premier League. Maybe you should insist that everyone uses this term as it was more correct. Just because they keep changing their name, should we have to change the names too?
There is nothing wrong with calling the English top division soccer league EPL. Your issue with using correct terminology only extends to a competition that has reserved the right to misuse a term for itself.

To both of you above, I don’t care what you call it, though I do think it’s curious why you’re so against just using the correct term for something. I really don’t get that. It’s like calling a random guy called William ‘Bill’ because you don’t like what’s on his birth certificate.

To both of you above, I don’t care what you call it, though I do think it’s curious why you’re so against just using the correct term for something. I really don’t get that. It’s like calling a random guy called William ‘Bill’ because you don’t like what’s on his birth certificate.

I’ve explained my issue with a league having Premier in its name when that is clearly a lie. It’s like calling John Howard “Honest John”.

Ive explained how the term ‘Premier League’ is very recent, even given that the English Premier League itself is still young (founded in 1992). The word English (but not Barclaycard,lol) was dropped in 2002. When you set yourself up as the EPL, it’s perfectly reasonable for people to continue calling you by that name down the track.

I’ve even given an example where you misnamed a competing soccer league with the incorrect term. You called William Bill and seemed fine with it.

I find it really curious that you don’t get that it’s acceptable to use any of the term EPL, English Premier League, FA English Premier League, Barclay’s Premier League or Premier League and shouldn’t be lectured which term to use.

Perhaps you’ve headed the ball a few too many times.

I’ve explained my issue with a league having Premier in its name when that is clearly a lie. It’s like calling John Howard “Honest John”.

Ive explained how the term ‘Premier League’ is very recent, even given that the English Premier League itself is still young (founded in 1992). The word English (but not Barclaycard,lol) was dropped in 2002. When you set yourself up as the EPL, it’s perfectly reasonable for people to continue calling you by that name down the track.

I’ve even given an example where you misnamed a competing soccer league with the incorrect term. You called William Bill and seemed fine with it.

I find it really curious that you don’t get that it’s acceptable to use any of the term EPL, English Premier League, FA English Premier League, Barclay’s Premier League or Premier League and shouldn’t be lectured which term to use.

Perhaps you’ve headed the ball a few too many times.

😳

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Classic "I don't care but...."

Your man kicked this off by trying to stop people using "EPL". You and he are trying to control what others say. If you didn't care you wouldn't have intervened on the side of the dude who very much did care.

Last edited:
One is financed by organised crime. AFL isn’t.

One is so mindlessly moronic that even you can understand it, AFL isn’t.
One is called the most skilful code by many of those mindless morons, when truth is the sport is the most basic there is, such that even a two year old can kick and dribble. The other has skills that we sadly underestimate. Bouncing while sprinting, high marks, tackling, handballing, kicking a 60m punt.

One leads to brain damage in our kids, because the sport encourages contact of the head to the ball. Footy doesn’t.

One has full stadiums of 15,000. Only 8 stadia in the Uk have a capacity of over 50,000. The other has massive attendances and club memberships considering the population.

One is called soccer, not football. You could call it unAustralian football, I guess.

Sucks to be you.

The single most idiotic post in the history of this website.

And that is saying something.

Please don't call it that.

Seriously?

Here I am defending the sport and you want to go down that path?

Billions of people still refer to it as the EPL and I will continue to do so. In fact, if you type EPL into Google you will see that plenty of media outlets including Fox Sports and Optus (the official partner in Australia) use that abbreviation in certain situations.

epl/fixtures

I will continue to use the term. I will also refer to it as football if that is okay with you? Thanks.

Last edited:
If for whatever reasons, either through evolution or a breakaway league, AFLX on a rectangular field replaced AFL as we know it today on an oval field. I gave year one of AFLX a look. Skipped the Rampage/Deadlys etc version. Gave EJ Witten a look. It's just uninteresting, particularly the small playing field which is made redundant by any player that can kick more than 40m.

Obviously an extreme example but that is what it would take. I imagine the only way such a scenario could come about would be if due to the collapse of network broadcasting, the professional game's revenue disappeared overnight and private ownership returned to professional Australian Rules as the main source of funding. Even then for whatever reason, the new regime employing the footballers would need to desire rectangular-fields instead of ovals as the arena for their new enterprise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back