Perth stadium claims more victims. Ground harder than the cricket pitch. Really!

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a failure at this point in time if the main reason for it's existence is as a sports stadium and the surface is sub-standard. If grass is all that's needed to be fixed, I would have thought the period between AFL seasons would have been the perfect opportunity to do so. Or have they already done it and they're still having the same problems.

Once the test is done, get it done. A bit of pain and inconvenience early in it's life to get it right.
They can’t, the scorchers are playing at Optus stadium

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
It's a failure at this point in time if the main reason for it's existence is as a sports stadium and the surface is sub-standard. If grass is all that's needed to be fixed, I would have thought the period between AFL seasons would have been the perfect opportunity to do so. Or have they already done it and they're still having the same problems.

Once the test is done, get it done. A bit of pain and inconvenience early in it's life to get it right.
Is the surface sub standard? Most of the complaints I have seen are from people that wouldn't know if the surface was made of green cheese. Based on things like, footballers getting injured playing footy, and fast bowlers doing a hamstring in their delivery stride. All the independent tests say its hardness isn't out of the norm for AFL grounds, so if they alter it, alter it to what? If they want to alter it to the norm for AFL grounds, we are going to end up with a surface that we have now. Softer than AFL standard? What a s**t storm that will cause.

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Yet everyone brings up the heat as an issue as to why Darwin can't get a team?

How about cricket just has shithouse support? We certainly don't have these issues with the football or even state of origin. So it might not purely be a WA thing.
Who is everyone? Darwin has less population than Hobart. Only about 180,000.

You're right though s**t supporters.

If you arent in ViC/SA/NSW you are just camping out

Oliver09

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
berwick
AFL Club
Essendon
Been to the stadium 3 times. The train service to and from the ground from the city is terrific, very organised and easy to use. Being free with a footy ticket is a bonus as well. The stadium itself is a new version of Marvel without the roof. For the $1.2-1.4 billion it cost I have to admit I wasn't overly impressed. The staircases to get to the 2nd level seating is probably deliberate to discourage people from standing but it's a big part of footy culture. The seating on ground level is really good but nothing better than elsewhere. Nowhere to get a decent beer in the place, it's all mid strength craft beer which is average at best. Leaving the ground is pretty easy. The path to get to the train platforms is made in a way that you don't have the crush of people you get at the train stations when leaving Marvel and MCG.

As for the pub outside the ground forget it. Attempted to go there last year about 90mins before the game and would've been at least a half hour wait to get in. Obviously it's the only option out there so this will always be an issue. This year just went to the pub across the road from the train station in the cbd and left 40mins before the game. Made it with plenty of time.

All in all we're pretty lucky in Melbourne to have the 2 stadiums for AFL and cricket we have. Perth and Adelaide have only recently got world class stadiums so the locals who are only now being exposed to these kind of stadiums on a regular basis are always going to stick up for them.

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Food recall! Dropping on and off the pitch now...

Screenshot_20191215-193631_Chrome.jpg

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Is the surface sub standard? Most of the complaints I have seen are from people that wouldn't know if the surface was made of green cheese. Based on things like, footballers getting injured playing footy, and fast bowlers doing a hamstring in their delivery stride. All the independent tests say its hardness isn't out of the norm for AFL grounds, so if they alter it, alter it to what? If they want to alter it to the norm for AFL grounds, we are going to end up with a surface that we have now. Softer than AFL standard? What a s**t storm that will cause.

The AFL were saying that for years about Etihad/Marvel, what a s**t show that surface has been for it's entire existence. I know the roof adds extra complexities to the equation but they AFL have defended it no matter what.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
They can’t, the scorchers are playing at Optus stadium

Fair enough. I guess at some stage though, if the complaints continue, they're going to have to bite the bullet and someone is going to have to move and maybe be compensated for having to move. I get the feeling it won't be either of the AFL clubs if it were to come to that.

May 11, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
No it's pretty *ing hard lol, I've had a run on it. It presses your knee up rather than your weight presses the ground down.

But apparently grass bad means we have to cop s**t about attendance, shade, airport carparks, WA's infrastructure, bus routes, and food.

Brer Bear

All Australian
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
World class fish burgers and salmonella sandwiches! And you can wash it down with some lead from the drinking fountains... Yum!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Explain how a soft grass surface (but somewhat less soft than others - allegedly), causes fast bowlers to pull hamstrings, but there are all sorts of running events held on roads dont. Is it harder than a road, or are fast bowlers softer than jello? What exactly is the pathophysiological mechanism by which a grass surface damages hamstrings?
I’m guessing those runners don’t jump from a flat out sprint into a near complete stop while also performing a powerful action in the top half of their body.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I’m guessing those runners don’t jump from a flat out sprint into a near complete stop while also performing a powerful action in the top half of their body.
So your saying the pitch should be made nice and soft, to avoid wear on bowlers knees? Are we allowed to put some hard spots in to try to bounce the ball off?

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Perth stadium already the best cricket wicket in Oz

Now we head off to the worse..Last shield game was called off after a couple of hours

MCG a national embarrassment

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
Its seems to be only the Victorians and a few AFL supporters that have issues with Perth Stadium actully.

Manchester United with their squad of players worth more than all the Victorians combined played two games in a week and praised the stadium.The rugy state of origin and the national union team packed the stadium with nothing but praise.Seems to be the only issues are VFL wads and their anxiety problems.But you know keep embarrasing yourselves its all good.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Fancy that...a summer sport is hot

Four days at 40 degrees in December isn’t normal. Perth Average December maximum
is below 30c.

I spent the free day I got this weekend in or around water not in a concrete stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Health: Two out of every three people in Australia will develop skin cancer by the time they are 70.
Asset protection: Sun damage to paint and interiors in vehicles when left in the elements.

The reality is that Western Australia design lacks any great meta narrative. There is a collaboration of cheap imitation with scant regard to site specificity or local use which results in a lived space that is somehow less than its constituent parts. The Perth Stadium harmonises with this cacophony of insecure mediocrity seamlessly and the defenders of this place come up with ‘hurrah Perth’ rather that an unbiased critical assessment on the quality of any recent Western Australian facilities.

tl,dr: the oval is s**t

By the same metric every oval in Australia bar Adelaide Oval is s**t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back