Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS

Comments from Talent Manager Mark Wheeler

JACK MAHONY (no.34 to North Melbourne): “‘Professional’ is all I can say about Jack. It was unfortunate he got injured late in the season; he was our most missed player in the finals. He ticks every box and did enough this year to show everyone he’s a smaller player with great hands and skills that were above the level.

“He definitely has a footy brain, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he pops up for an AFL game or two next year. I think he’s a midfielder in the long run, because he’s smart with his ball use and he sees the game unfold before it does.”

One of my best mates works with Jack's dad (played 2 games for the Tigers when KB was coach). Their view is he is definitely a mid who pushes forward rather than the other way round. They say the player he is closest to on our list is Jed, but with perhaps a bit more scoreboard impact.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
One of my best mates works with Jack's dad (played 2 games for the Tigers when KB was coach). Their view is he is definitely a mid who pushes forward rather than the other way round. They say the player he is closest to on our list is Jed, but with perhaps a bit more scoreboard impact.
If it's TT, just say it's TT!

He’s going to have to learn to be the other way around

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Reckon he is too small for the modern day midfield especially without pace

For me he makes it as a forward pocket or doesn’t at all

Not necessarily a forward pocket, but a general forward like a Gresham/Papley that works up the ground and gets 15-20 possessions a game and a good mix of assists/score involvements/goals.

Basically, he's the guy want want to have as the last possession before Larkey or Brown.

I defer to the subject matter expert.

Indeed, given the term can be traced to Shakespeare it is best you do defer to a Melbourne High chap for this kind of thing.

Agree but not for the reason you stated.

Heh, there used to be a knocking shoppe at 4 Yarra Street in South Yarra.

Dudes would go in for a bit of how's your father in the arvo, then when they came out at 3.10PM there'd be like a thousand teenage boys on the stauon platforms cheering them and stuff.

Quality times.

Heh, there used to be a knocking shoppe at 4 Yarra Street in South Yarra.

Dudes would go in for a bit of how's your father in the arvo, then when they came out at 3.10PM there'd be like a thousand teenage boys on the stauon platforms cheering them and stuff.

Quality times.
Gives new meaning to the term "after school pick up".

Back