Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Today is the anniversary of Harold Holt’s disappearance

Those of more interest to me are predominately the no bodies death 'mysteries' and the wild conspiracy theories mostly invented by the media.

Emilia Earheart 1937:
Pre-radar days, she ran out of fuel on the way to Howland island and crashed in the Pacific ocean. The theories around her and her planes disappearance are interesting, although a little far-fetched but it is hard to believe they haven't to this day been able to find any evidence of her plane.

Harold Holt 1967:
The compelling aspect of Holt's 'disappearance' was there were witnesses standing on the beach who saw him drown. Of course that didn't stop the media's wild conspiracy theories which surprisingly haven't included alien abduction - but have included; a Chinese submarine pick-up, a CIA assassination and him swimming around to the next bay to meet his alleged mistress and then flee the country.

James Hoffa 1982:
A nice job by mafia hit-man/men or the Nixon led/CIA who obviously disposed of/destroyed his body which will never be found. There are a lot of historical facts with this mystery and despite 14 people claiming to have killed Hoffa, there is very little evidence. There are accounts that the Kennedy's attempted to have him 'taken care of' years before...

Rik Mayall is another off the top of my head. At his age, when a celebrity drops dead suddenly, I think we automatically default to "overdose or suicide?", sorry to say. From what I've read, it didn't appear to be either, no health issues, he was jogging and in pretty good nick for someone in his mid-50s, he just died all of a sudden
He did have a horrific quad bike accident in 1998 that saw him in a coma with head injuries. Granted that's 16 years before he died but who knows? I don't think dying of a heart attack at 56 is really mysterious or suspicious. Just tragic bad luck.

Pro soccer players in their early 30's dropping dead of a heart attack on the other hand..

Natalie Wood was one of the three young stars of the iconic 1955 movie 'Rebel Without a Cause', and all three of them met with unhappy endings. James Dean died in a car accident in the year of the film's release, Sal Mineo was murdered in the 1970s and Natalie Wood drowned off Catalina Island in 1981.

Natalie Wood also met her end at the thing she was most afraid of - water. She is not the only Hollywood actress to suffer this fate. Linda Darnell reportedly was terrified of fire throughout her life which sadly lasted just 41 years. And how did Linda Darnell die? In a house fire in 1965.
I read somewhere one of the theories was that she 'walked in' on Bobby and Chris and was so shocked she fell overboard.

Dec 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Vic Morrow. Died in a helicopter accident on the set of Twilight Zone (1983). Said previously after an earlier helicopter scene on another movie that he thought he’d always die in a helicopter accident.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Slightly off topic but Eddie Murphy was brutal here (9:05) joking about his chances of working with John Landis again (The director of the Twilight Zone Episode and Coming to America).

Back