Did GCS stuff up by losing Jack Martin for nothing?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Suns have locked away most of their young gun/valuable assets to new deals, so it's a good thing for them that they have stopped the bleeding there..

Have to wonder if The Suns kept a hardball stance in the hopes that Martin could be swayed to join the Dogs or another Vicco team keen on him, and maybe get a better deal than what Carlton offered.

Aside from losing a bit of face, I Don't think Gold Coast (or Carlton for that matter), lose much from this, I mean re-signing King and (especially) Lukosius is far more meaningful for the future and perception of The Suns than losing Martin for nothing.

The Suns have locked away most of their young gun/valuable assets to new deals, so it's a good thing for them that they have stopped the bleeding there..

Have to wonder if The Suns kept a hardball stance in the hopes that Martin could be swayed to join the Dogs or another Vicco team keen on him, and maybe get a better deal than what Carlton offered.

Aside from losing a bit of face, I Don't think Gold Coast (or Carlton for that matter), lose much from this, I mean re-signing King and (especially) Lukosius is far more meaningful for the future and perception of The Suns than losing Martin for nothing.
JM loses face, very rare to see a player not ensure a fair deal is done for his former club in these situations.

Blues just need to keep that in mind, If he can put GC over a barrel, he can put them over a barrel too (imagining he comes good and is someone the blues want to keep later)

JM loses face, very rare to see a player not ensure a fair deal is done for his former club in these situations.

Blues just need to keep that in mind, If he can put GC over a barrel, he can put them over a barrel too (imagining he comes good and is someone the blues want to keep later)

In 2 years after his $1m a year drops to $400k we may see a Motlop level improvement in ability to coincide with his request for a trade somewhere else.

Yes they did. If you want to stand your ground, then you go all the way. If you are not going all the way, then you comply with what the leaving player wants so you don’t end up with nothing.

Not a good move from Gold Coast

All Carlton have to keep in mind is that they need to turn up to the trade table should he seek a trade and actively seek a resolution both teams are happy with. My opinion is that Gold Coast did not do this and wanted to be the only winner so of course Jack Martin is not going to care about how they get nothing.

That is how I see this situation. If you are not going to have other people’s interest in mind when making a decision, then expect them to do the same to you. You get what you give.

All Carlton have to keep in mind is that they need to turn up to the trade table should he seek a trade and actively seek a resolution both teams are happy with. My opinion is that Gold Coast did not do this and wanted to be the only winner so of course Jack Martin is not going to care about how they get nothing.

That is how I see this situation. If you are not going to have other people’s interest in mind when making a decision, then expect them to do the same to you. You get what you give.
None of us are privy to the negotiations, but they sounded at least reasonably arguable offers being put forward.

What is almost certain here IMO is that JM was complicit in a series of actions that led to the Blues getting everything and GC getting nothing.

Then think about how much investment GC have put into this guy, just imagine alone the total salary he has drawn from them.

JM would need to have a certain mindset to do what he has done, Blues just need to bear this in mind.

if he wants to leave when his salary drops off after two seasons good luck to him, he'll be contracted for three more years. i'm sure we'd take a second and a third for him though.

Explain how Jack put GC over a barrel, and what he could’ve done to ensure they got a “fair deal”?

They disregarded Jack’s well-being when they refused to trade him last year, he owes them nothing.

Explain how Jack put GC over a barrel, and what he could’ve done to ensure they got a “fair deal”?

They disregarded Jack’s well-being when they refused to trade him last year, he owes them nothing.
Exactly what I thought when reading that post....laughable comment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back