Opinion Dustin Martin is better than Dangerfield

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Of the current crop of star mids, Danger is the least skilled with the lowest IQ. He is overrated, but gets attention due to his explosiveness and marking. His delivery is poor as are his decisions on field. It is a shame that he moved to Geelong when the club is reverting to the norm of the pre 2007 44 year drought. Timing is everything.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Transporting myself into their world of hyperbole I would say that Dusty is 'cooler' than most.
but Danger is using his highly developed sense of language and media savvy that he will cross most boundaries.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Martin missed out on the NAB rising star due to suspension and was drawing Leigh Matthews comparisons in his 2nd season (while polling 12 brownlow votes). Suggestions that he was a late bloomer is fake news.
Kicked 33 goals in his second season whilst averaging just over 22 disposals. Been a gun since day 1, so yeh this idea he wasn't good early is rubbish. He's been better than most since the start of his career.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not joking when I say if you combined Ablett junior, Martin, and Dangerfield I'm still not sure if that would equal Ablett senior. To say he was complete it putting it mildly. There are very few players I've seen that could do absolutely everything (and to a high degree). But he could.

Carey could do anything.
He and Snr are the only two I have ever seen who had the complete package. Beautiful users on either side of the body. Great leapers. 65-70 metre drop punt kicks. Ridiculous mobility (particularly Carey for someone 194cm tall).
Tough and Courageous.
Both loved to get the ball when a game was hanging in the balance.

I know Richmond fans will hate this but seriously, if you compare Dustin Martin prime years to either of those two, it's like comparing Cotchin to Fyfe and even then, that's being respectful to Martin.

Snooza 100

Club Legend
Dec 29, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manangatang Thirds. NewYork Knicks.
Not according to Leigh Matthews..
Martin is famous for his Septembers (rather quiet during the season). But even in September he's no Chapman, SJ. or Jimmy Bartel. Those guys dominated finals more in one game than Martins finals combined (and the season). Martin hides behind defenders and sneaks a goal or doesn't argue. He's a star but his current fame is getting ridiculous

On Redmi Note 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

dustysnecktattoo

Club Legend
May 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Martin is famous for his Septembers (rather quiet during the season). But even in September he's no Chapman, SJ. or Jimmy Bartel. Those guys dominated finals more in one game than Martins finals combined (and the season). Martin hides behind defenders and sneaks a goal or doesn't argue. He's a star but his current fame is getting ridiculous

I watched billy Madison last night, can you guess the scene that best describes the reply you deserve?

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
The next statue that will be erected at the MCG in 10 years time will be

1575448793704.png

Snooza 100

Club Legend
Dec 29, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manangatang Thirds. NewYork Knicks.
Carey could do anything.
He and Snr are the only two I have ever seen who had the complete package. Beautiful users on either side of the body. Great leapers. 65-70 metre drop punt kicks. Ridiculous mobility (particularly Carey for someone 194cm tall).
Tough and Courageous.
Both loved to get the ball when a game was hanging in the balance.

I know Richmond fans will hate this but seriously, if you compare Dustin Martin prime years to either of those two, it's like comparing Cotchin to Fyfe and even then, that's being respectful to Martin.
No il have Dusty in front of Ablett snr, Carey has Dusty covered at the moment.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
No il have Dusty in front of Ablett snr, Carey has Dusty covered at the moment.

lol give me a break mate!
Ablett averaged 15 & 4 for the best part of 12 years.
Played in a similar team as the current Geelong side which was never the best team in the comp, but only got as far as Dangerfield (Ablett) took them.

Martin's good for 25 & 1 and playing in a team where another bloke is a 5 x AA and arguably the most dominant team of the last three years. Martin's a champion but he's nothing compared to Ablett Snr.

Funnily enough, it's Richmond supporters doing their best to downplay Ablett and that's bizarre, he only ever averaged 17 & 6 against your mob. Tormented me thinks :)

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
lol give me a break mate!
Ablett averaged 15 & 4 for the best part of 12 years.
Played in a similar team as the current Geelong side which was never the best team in the comp, but only got as far as Dangerfield (Ablett) took them.

Martin's good for 25 & 1 and playing in a team where another bloke is a 5 x AA and arguably the most dominant team of the last three years. Martin's a champion but he's nothing compared to Ablett Snr.

Funnily enough, it's Richmond supporters doing their best to downplay Ablett and that's bizarre, he only ever averaged 17 & 6 against your mob. Tormented me thinks :)
Ablett played in a weak era filled with weak defenses would never last a quarter in the modern game of the 70s either

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Ablett played in a weak era filled with weak defenses would never last a quarter in the modern game of the 70s either

Is that the era where defenders were allowed to bear hug and man handle forwards?

You honestly believe Martin, with no vertical leap to speak of, could out mark guys in the 80's and 90's?
Martin is the one who plays in a weak era.
The only advantage he has is the insane fitness levels but he would be just another forward back in the day. Nothing special whatsoever.
Fyfe may have been a different animal. That bloke can actually take a pack mark and kick a direct set shot.

You new age supporters who believe past players are inferior to today's player need to get a clue.
If players of today played in the 80's, they have the same fitness as everyone else and vice versa.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Is that the era where defenders were allowed to bear hug and man handle forwards?

You honestly believe Martin, with no vertical leap to speak of, could out mark guys in the 80's and 90's?
The only advantage he has is the insane fitness levels but he would be just another forward back in the day. Nothing special whatsoever.
Fyfe may have been a different animal. That bloke can actually take a pack mark and kick a direct set shot.

You new age supporters who believe past players are inferior to today's player need to get a clue.
If players of today played in the 80's, they have the same fitness as everyone else and vice versa.
FMD !

How did Leigh Mathews go with no leap in that Era ? Martin is bigger faster and probably as strong as leigh mathews
Im not saying that Dusty is better than Ablett but with the amount of defenders and zones in todays football its a team defence and ablett would not have been as effective where he played 1 on 1 and had to defeat his defender.

There is no way known there is enough space for the fowards to play the Ablett game today

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

Back in my day

ok Boomer

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Gary Ablett Snr is the best player I have ever seen, nobody could stop him on his day. An absolute freak. His son has Martin covered, not by much but enough. Martin and Fyfe are probably ahead of the pack right now, but best ever, no.

I suspect half the kiddies touting Martin as GOAT or superior to Ablett Senior never actually saw him play.

Ablett Junior is currently the GOCE. He’s done it for well over a decade, and across the season

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

OK Boomer. You keep reminiscing about a very good player in an era of 1 on 1. Every man for himself. We'll continue to watch the best player of the modern era, hopefully continue dominating the modern defensive systems that would have made the old Gazza just another player with a mullet.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
OK Boomer. You keep reminiscing about a very good player in an era of 1 on 1. Every man for himself. We'll continue to watch the best player of the modern era, hopefully continue dominating the modern defensive systems that would have made the old Gazza just another player with a mullet.
You do yourself no favours dissing people who have seen players of all era's not just the modern. You can only measure a player against the players they played against, in the times they played. Ablett' (x2), Matthews and Carey's names (and others) have stood the test of time, let's hope Martin joins them, another couple of seasons and he may well do. That doesn't diminish those before him.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I suspect half the kiddies touting Martin as GOAT or superior to Ablett Senior never actually saw him play.

Ablett Junior is currently the GOCE. He’s done it for well over a decade, and across the season

Yep. He was always good from the start, then from 2007 to now (that's 13 full seasons) has been absolutely top drawer. Phenomenal consistency and durability.

Even though he's in decline now, he still kicked 35 goals as a small forward at age 35. Any small forward would be proud of those numbers.

Back