Painting miniatures, terrain and scenery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Been Blood Bowling the last few months

Good times
900fc727cdea6f2f8fcdd34c93d58f9d.jpg

I love it.... and will actually probably use this idea

A mate of mine made up a Blood Bowl pitch with actual pavers from the local Nursery. Too bad it weighs over 10 kgs!
Mine is with egg cartons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did a clean up of the shed and getting back into the terrain.

Our zombie-killing priest is off for a quick break from the apocalypse with some light reading.

7AC6C158-41AC-4EF6-9488-BDC8BBE6B7DE.jpeg

3D printed portaloos.

Last edited:
I recently picked up the D&D Adventurers Paint Set; one for me and one for a mate's birthday (he's just started in the hobby). It wasn't so much that I needed the paints. Primarily it was because of the Minsc & Boo (from Baldur's Gate) mini that comes with it. :)

I recently picked up the D&D Adventurers Paint Set; one for me and one for a mate's birthday (he's just started in the hobby). It wasn't so much that I needed the paints. Primarily it was because of the Minsc & Boo (from Baldur's Gate) mini that comes with it. :)

My son has bought me some D&D minis for Christmas and I reckon I'd like to have a shot at painting them. I was thinking of picking up the D&D Adventurers Paint Set. I haven't painted any minis in about 20 years so go no real idea on how to go about it. For a relative newbie like me, would this be the go?

My son has bought me some D&D minis for Christmas and I reckon I'd like to have a shot at painting them. I was thinking of picking up the D&D Adventurers Paint Set. I haven't painted any minis in about 20 years so go no real idea on how to go about it. For a relative newbie like me, would this be the go?

The difference to 20 years ago is there are now a million tutorials on YouTube.
But any starter painting set should be good that set looks like it has a decent range of colors as well.

The basics are...

- Use a wet palette. A zillion YouTube's on how to do it, super easy.

- always go towards having a little too much water, then not enough, when mixing with paint. Don't paint straight from the bottle

- base coat the whole thing, either with spray, or paint, black / white or grey. Total personal preference but if you have a starter set paint some grey on.

- wait to dry

- then nice smooth brushes with whatever colours you want. Just try and stay in the lines

- if you want to wash, then I suggest agrax earthshade (brownish) or nuln oil (blackish) from GW

- after that, it's more how much time you want to spend highlighting. At a minimum id repaint the main colour without going into the recesses

The most important thing is don't try and be perfect!!! If you hate a paint job you can throw any mini in Dettol for a few days and scrub it and start again

I'm by no means an expert, but for someone starting out I feel like a wet palette isn't a necessity. Just be judicious with the amount of paint you put on a palette and give a little forethought to what colour scheme you'll be going for. Also, paints that come in dropper bottles are really handy. Very useful when mixing paints.

The basics are...

- always go towards having a little too much water, then not enough, when mixing with paint. Don't paint straight from the bottle

- base coat the whole thing, either with spray, or paint, black / white or grey. Total personal preference but if you have a starter set paint some grey on.

- wait to dry

- then nice smooth brushes with whatever colours you want. Just try and stay in the lines

- if you want to wash, then I suggest agrax earthshade (brownish) or nuln oil (blackish) from GW

- after that, it's more how much time you want to spend highlighting. At a minimum id repaint the main colour without going into the recesses

The most important thing is don't try and be perfect!!! If you hate a paint job you can throw any mini in Dettol for a few days and scrub it and start again

The gw motto

Two thin coats!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back