2nds 2020 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible decision to get rid of the likes of Bastinac, N.Robbo, Walker among others. How else are we supposed to have an undefeated NEAFL season with an average winning margin of 67? :wink:

This but unironically

With our list complete for 2020 I thought I'd have a look at what our reserves side will look like in 2020. (back to back & undefeated?).

Seniors-

Grant Birchall, Harris Andrews, Marcus Adams.
Daniel Rich, Darcy Gardiner, Noah Answerth.

Stef Martin, Lachie Neale, Hugh McCluggage.
Jarrod Berry, Jarryd Lyons, Mitch Robinson.

Cam Rayner, Daniel McStay, Lincoln McCarthy.
Dayne Zorko, Eric Hipwwod, Charlie Cameron.

Zac Bailey, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Alex Witherden, Callum Ah Chee.

NEAFL-

Jacob Allison, Jack Payne, Mitchell Hinge.
Brandon Starcevich, Sam Skinner, Matty Eagles.

Oscar McInerney, Ely Smith, Rhys Matheison.
Corey Lyons, Deven Robertson, Tom Berry.

Keidean Coleman, Connor Ballenden, Toby Wooller.
Allen Christensen, Tom Fullarton, Cedric Cox.

Ryan Lester, Archie Smith, Tom Joyce, Connor McFadyen, James Madden, Brock Smith, Jaxon Prior.

IIRC there are 5 on the bench allowed next year so only 1 will miss out each week if we have a full list, although there will be at least 1 required as an emergency for the seniors.

Strong competitive side but doesn't look as good as the NEAFL side last season, very young with a fair few of the regular reserves players leaving eg. Ben Keays, Nick Robertson, Josh Walker, Ryan Bastinac, Tom Cutler, Lewy Taylor. No way I can see us going through 2020 undefeated, no shoe in for premiers either IMO.

Note- I fully expect the Big O to be in the seniors, I'm selecting the side from the remaining players after my preferred senior side.

Last edited:
With our list complete for 2020 I thought I'd have a look at what our reserves side will look like in 2020. (back to back & undefeated?).

Seniors-

Grant Birchall, Harris Andrews, Marcus Adams.
Daniel Rich, Darcy Gardiner, Noah Answerth.

Stef Martin, Lachie Neale, Hugh McCluggage.
Jarrod Berry, Jarryd Lyons, Mitch Robinson.

Cam Rayner, Daniel McStay, Lincoln McCarthy.
Dayne Zorko, Eric Hipwwod, Charlie Cameron.

Zac Bailey, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Alex Witherden, Callum Ah Chee.

NEAFL-

Jacob Allison, Jack Payne, Mitchell Hinge.
Brandon Starcevich, Sam Skinner, Brock Smith.

Oscar McInerney, Ely Smith, Rhys Matheison.
Corey Lyons, Deven Robertson, Tom Berry.

Keidean Coleman, Connor Ballenden, Toby Wooller.
Allen Christensen, Tom Fullarton, Cedric Cox.

Ryan Lester, Archie Smith, Tom Joyce, Connor McFadyen, James Madden, Jaxon Prior.

IIRC there are 5 on the bench allowed next year so only 1 will miss out each week if we have a full list, although there will be at least 1 required as an emergency for the seniors.

Strong competitive side but doesn't look as good as the NEAFL side last season, very young with a fair few of the regular reserves players leaving eg. Ben Keays, Nick Robertson, Josh Walker, Ryan Bastinac, Tom Cutler, Lewy Taylor. No way I can see us going through 2020 undefeated, no shoe in for premiers either IMO.

Note- I fully expect the Big O to be in the seniors, I'm selecting the side from the remaining players after my preferred senior side.
Where is the Neafl best player?

Jason mp,
A very good double list. Almost impossible to select this far out from round one.
The senior selectors will have a difficult time come round 1 especially if/hopefully no injuries.
The NEAFL team selected is still impressive. The 6 experienced players missing will have a impact but maybe not as much as one would imagine.

I always like to think in net disposals. Total disposals of the 6 mentioned less disposals of players replacing them = net disposals lost/gain.
These players could be anyone on our list. But i will use 6 from your NEAFL side Christensen,Mathieson,Lester,Hinge, Lyons & Eagles = net disposals lost/gain.
Without actually doing figures i don't think it would be a big difference. But that is only part of the equation.

Then you add in the natural improvement in the 2nd to 4th year players to cover this 2nd group mentioned and so it slowly filters down.
This of course only covers disposals and does not cover all other stats that's required to be a successful team.

Then their are our new experienced players- Birchall,CEY, Ah Chee. Plus the 4 new draftees.
All these things have an impact and trickle down effect on the NEAFL team.

They won't win every game in 2020. Last years effort of winning every game was extraordinary.
Can't wait for the preseason to start.

Are they replacing NT Thunder with another team?

6 out, but 3 experienced players in. And we can play 23 listed players in any final. Would be good to have a few loses but I think we will win the flag again... just the development of the younger players, especially key forwards. I'm calling it. I'm interested to see who steps up to replace Bastinac in the midfield and Keays up foward. Skinner likely to play forward I think to put pressure on McStay's spot. Will be interesting to watch.

6 out, but 3 experienced players in. And we can play 23 listed players in any final. Would be good to have a few loses but I think we will win the flag again... just the development of the younger players, especially key forwards. I'm calling it. I'm interested to see who steps up to replace Bastinac in the midfield and Keays up foward. Skinner likely to play forward I think to put pressure on McStay's spot. Will be interesting to watch.
GC should be stronger after their offseason draft hall and GWS add another 2 top 10 draft picks who will struggle to get games in their best 22. Hopefully it is a more competitive league this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that we're starting later than the other AFL clubs. Must be a good reason for it

Are the reserves coming down to Melbourne when seniors play Carlton 8th March?
There’s been talk of it given the whole list is travelling down to Melbourne for that weekend but nothing confirmed.

Hope another reserves scratchy takes place, really enjoyed last years game against Melbourne despite it being in Cranbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back