13The National Moonah
14Ellerston
15Ocean dunes
16The Lakes
17Metro
18Peninsula-Kingswood south
19Woodlands
20Barwon heads

Really need to get my arse down to King Island.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
My cat amongst the pigeon comment is that Barnbougle/Lost Farm are massively over rated. Can honestly say have no idea what the who-har is over them. Both are short with the most ridiculously penal rough from which you're forced to take a drop. Golf is hard enough without the course forcing you take a penalty every errant shot.

My cat amongst the pigeon comment is that Barnbougle/Lost Farm are massively over rated. Can honestly say have no idea what the who-har is over them. Both are short with the most ridiculously penal rough from which you're forced to take a drop. Golf is hard enough without the course forcing you take a penalty every errant shot.

I tend to agree, think the sandbelt courses are a far better test of true golf.

Never played King Island so can't comment

Oct 6, 2017
All over the place
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool Boston Celtics Victory
Fair enough you can kiss your ball goodbye if you stray into that thick marram grass, but the fairways are very generous.

It's funny having played Barny quite a few times in still conditions which made those longer holes designed with the prevailing wind in mind, very difficult!! So it never felt short to me, but then i'm not a long hitter.

Anyhow, both courses for mine have more than enough architectural quality to warrant their position in the ranking.

P.S. Had the wind behind on 4 at Barny once ( opposite to the prevailing wind as you would know), hit it well and put my drive on the green with a 3 metre putt for eagle. Missed the putt though. But it was such a buzz.

P.S. Had the wind behind on 4 at Barny once ( opposite to the prevailing wind as you would know), hit it well and put my drive on the green with a 3 metre putt for eagle. Missed the putt though. But it was such a buzz.

My playing partner did exactly that on the 3rd at Lost Farm, except the putt was far closer, maybe 3 feet. Poor bugger choked with anticipation

I’m hoping to play one, or both, while I holiday in Bridport next week

Think I'm at 13/20

Chatting with a mate lsst night, he's just purchased a 2 seater plane.
Offered to fly me to King Island any time I want.
LOCK it in Eddie

same (13). got recips with R adelaide. will do it next year

Oct 6, 2017
All over the place
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Think I'm at 13/20

Chatting with a mate lsst night, he's just purchased a 2 seater plane.
Offered to fly me to King Island any time I want.
LOCK it in Eddie
I've never had a fear of flying but flap me, flying in a two seater would be serious white knuckle time for me.

Oct 6, 2017
All over the place
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I've been lucky enough to play 15 of that top 20 list. However i played Peninsula North and South before their redo. So 13 really.
The one's i haven't played are Ellerston (haha as if), Royal Adelaide, Cape Wickham,Ocean Dunes and the National Gunamatta.

Last edited:
I've been lucky enough to play 15 of that top 20 list. However i played Peninsula North and South before their redo. So 13 really.
The one's i haven't played are Ellerston (haha as if), Royal Adelaide, Cape Wickham,Ocean Dunes and the National Gunamatta.
not many have played national Gun as its just recently been made open to guests.

steve4445

All Australian
Jul 18, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
its funny people get different things out of different courses.

I played 5 of the above list in 5 days Early October and of the 5 mine would go:
1. Cape Wickham
2. Lost Farm
3.Ocean Dunes
4.Barnbougle
5.Royal Melbourne West

My Ga handicap is 19 and i lost one ball between Lost Farm and Barnbougle Im not a massive hitter off the tee with average 210-220m from the tee but found the landing areas pretty forgiving. I did lose 2 off the first tee at cape wickham though haha.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
its funny people get different things out of different courses.

I played 5 of the above list in 5 days Early October and of the 5 mine would go:
1. Cape Wickham
2. Lost Farm
3.Ocean Dunes
4.Barnbougle
5.Royal Melbourne West

My Ga handicap is 19 and i lost one ball between Lost Farm and Barnbougle Im not a massive hitter off the tee with average 210-220m from the tee but found the landing areas pretty forgiving. I did lose 2 off the first tee at cape wickham though haha.
True. BB/LF are courses where, on a good day, you can get away with playing nothing lower than a 4 iron.
I just have a fundamental belief that (as long as the shot isn't terrible) you should have a chance to hit some sort of recovery, not automatically penalised a shot. A course like Augusta Nationsl predominantly has pine needles and OOB. Rough shouldn't be death, it should just be........ rougher than the fairway.
Anyway, Merry Christmas all.

steve4445

All Australian
Jul 18, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
True. BB/LF are courses where, on a good day, you can get away with playing nothing lower than a 4 iron.
I just have a fundamental belief that (as long as the shot isn't terrible) you should have a chance to hit some sort of recovery, not automatically penalised a shot. A course like Augusta Nationsl predominantly has pine needles and OOB. Rough shouldn't be death, it should just be........ rougher than the fairway.
Anyway, Merry Christmas all.
I think it also depends on what your used to, My local here if you miss a fairway there are not many vast open places to land, you will have an ok sandy lie and wont lose the ball but your going to have to thread the needle through the trees on your second shot. Royal Melbourne for me I found to forgiving and felt like it played very short. If i didn't miss a 2 foot put that i didn't put properly because i was upset the birdie put lipped out I would have been +5 after 9 holes (as someone whose ga handicap is 19.2 and playing off 22) For me i was after a bigger challenge, even the fairway bunkers I hit a fairway wood out of twice because they were just easy to get out of.

I cant wait to get to King Island and Barnbougle again but not sure id pay $350 to play royal melb again.

Back