Cricket at Metricon stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I like your spin on it! Ever thought about a career in marketing?
I am looking at Primary teaching however I have marketing in the back of my mind as a back up.

Both sides could have pushed tonights match as a 'Battle of the GC' similar to the Sydney Smash and Melbourne Derby

Terrible turn out tonight only 11900 turned up, was a great night with perfect weather. Pretty disappointing tbh

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

C'mon, cause it'd be nice to get 19-20k.....but
I'm not there, and sitting way over here, but if we struggle to get 15k to a Suns game, when things aren't going well, then why would you expect anymore than that, especially 5 days before Christmas, and with 2 teams who have no association with the GC whatsoever.
I mean even the Brisbane Heat fans won't support their team unless it's at the Gabba, so why would anyone expect those living on the GC to support a team that's not from the GC, especially a Brisbane team.
And 11900 is still more than turned up to Geelong last night............just sayin'

Last edited:
Terrible turn out tonight only 11900 turned up, was a great night with perfect weather. Pretty disappointing tbh

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I thought it was a good crowd about the same as we get for a regular footy game.

It was a great atmosphere I really enjoyed my night out.
Love our stadium but for f*** sake please fix the bloody terrible shuttle bus system.
Missed the first over because it took 20 minutes to get from Nerang station to Metricon all of 2.2km.
Can’t understand why they don’t have a dedicated Bus lane

I thought it was a good crowd about the same as we get for a regular footy game.

Love our stadium but for f*** sake please fix the bloody terrible shuttle bus system.
Missed the first over because it took 20 minutes to get from Nerang station to Metricon all of 2.2km.

Could have been worse, you could have stayed home and put up with bl**dy Brayshaw's commentary......between him and Derwayne, I'm not sure which is worse.......5555555

I went to the opening ceremony of the comm games last year and I got home to my accomodation in Broadbeach near Broadbeach South station at 4am because the shuttle service was so slow and amateurish.. I wasn’t happy and it wasn’t because we stayed out somewhere I either it was literally leave the stadium go on a shuttle straight back to our hotel area but it just took for ages!!

they really need to think of improving public transport because people shouldn’t have to wait for busses all night... this needs to be done ASAP before the suns end up being successful with big crowds.

could this be another reason for low crowds? People know it’s a pain to get to so don’t bother going at all!

Im not really a cricket fan so attending wasn’t really something i would do.
but i echo the transport issues as they are also a factor for suns games.

there should be a bus lane from nerang.
and buses from boowaggan should drop people on the way to stadium and not go past stadium and do a u turn and drop them on back. That last part (past, uturn, back and drop) takes forever.

Average crowd for a Gold Coast sporting event. The only reason I'm disappointed is because it means we're less likely to get our own franchise. Otherwise, it was a fun night of entertainment. Side note - the man on the PA consistently referred to the south-eastern side of the stadium as the "Broadbeach End". I didn't hear him make any reference to a name for the north-western side of the stadium but I guess it's logical to call it the 'Hinterland End' or even the 'Tamborine End'.

Very good innings from Maxy. He was on some kind of mission tonight
I reckon he was chasing the ground batting records last night. Going into last night's match, Chris Lynn held the ground records for most runs in an individual match (84) and most runs total for his career (127). Maxwell fell one run short of the first record last night but now holds the record for most total runs scored at Carrara with 162. He also has an opportunity to better that record in six days from now when the Stars return to Metricon to face the Adelaide Strikers.

I reckon he was chasing the ground batting records last night. Going into last night's match, Chris Lynn held the ground records for most runs in an individual match (84) and most runs total for his career (127). Maxwell fell one run short of the first record last night but now holds the record for most total runs scored at Carrara with 162. He also has an opportunity to better that record in six days from now when the Stars return to Metricon to face the Adelaide Strikers.
Yeah, he'll have another shot at it. I haven't chosen a team, but I think no matter which team you support, you can just enjoy Maxy just doing what he does best, and it's so much fun witnessing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Average crowd for a Gold Coast sporting event. The only reason I'm disappointed is because it means we're less likely to get our own franchise. Otherwise, it was a fun night of entertainment. Side note - the man on the PA consistently referred to the south-eastern side of the stadium as the "Broadbeach End". I didn't hear him make any reference to a name for the north-western side of the stadium but I guess it's logical to call it the 'Hinterland End' or even the 'Tamborine End'.

on the tv they referred to the ends as the "nerang river end" and the "nerang beach road end"... assuming they meant "nerang broadbeach road end", which in itself is a bit of a long winded name. wish we had some more glamorous names haha.

on the tv they referred to the ends as the "nerang river end" and the "nerang beach road end"... assuming they meant "nerang broadbeach road end", which in itself is a bit of a long winded name. wish we had some more glamorous names haha.

and they also had NARANG River End showing early on in the game but changed it to NERANG during Stars innings....

and they also had NARANG River End showing early on in the game but changed it to NERANG during Stars innings....
It was definitely "Broadbeach End" over the PA at the stadium and they were referring to the end that faced the Pacific Ocean, not the end that faced Nerang-Broadbeach Rd.

Did anyone know that former Brisbane Lion and Labrador Tigers junior Claye Beams is now captaining the Surfers Paradise cricket club? I remember once seeing an interview with Dayne Beams where he said Claye was good enough as a cricketer back in his PBC days to make it to the top level but he decided to pursue football instead.

7d75ac760f9846ec42dc251b9f4acbc1

Did anyone know that former Brisbane Lion and Labrador Tigers junior Claye Beams is now captaining the Surfers Paradise cricket club? I remember once seeing an interview with Dayne Beams where he said Claye was good enough as a cricketer back in his PBC days to make it to the top level but he decided to pursue football instead.

7d75ac760f9846ec42dc251b9f4acbc1

I remember Dayne also saying Claye was a better cricketer than footballer as well. Great news for him.

That’s right, he was the Asian boy, Sum Kunnt
While I can appreciate your attempt to create humour, the TSS Old Boy I was thinking of who is now an England national team player was Sam Hain. Probably also worth mentioning that NZ national team player Black Tickner also attended TSS. So we've got some pretty decent cricketers coming out of the GC.

Anyway. BBL cricket returns to Metricon tomorrow night with the Stars v Strikers game. Anyone willing to have a crack at a crowd prediction?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back