Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

AstroboyUK

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2008
London / Delhi
AFL Club
Richmond
I've run tricky businesses but I don't know what the A-league can do strategically to fix itself; its constrained on all sides.

Small fish in Australia, but needs to act like a big fish (ala RU)
Franchise Model that is leveraging owner's willingness to continue to absorb losses over an extended period and their a quid-pro-quo of decision making power
Lost enthusiasm of the general public and reverting to the historic mean of interest.
National Team no longer the PR talisman it was.
Previous Hubris means it has few friends outside its core supporters. Will need to work very hard to find allies in a time of need.
TV ratings very low, almost vanishing from general public view,
Crowds in downwards spiral
Corporate sponsorship falling
New franchise threatening to be a liability not a panacea

The only thing I can see working for it to reverse the negative spiral and turn it positive is actually for it to bottom out, and somehow turn itself into the underdog league once more. This was part of the original novelty/feel good factor of A-League. But it turned itself from underdog made good into a Gadfly Pretender trying to push others around The league cant allow itself to fail but it can 're-set' its benchmarks: ie 'we're small' and set expectations to match. Then its small crowds and ratings and footprint are no longer causes for death-riding ridicule, but a starting point from which 'things are getting better, get on board'.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The NBL, riding on a crest of a wave of improving crowds & ratings, is soon almost certain to establish an NBL team in Hobart.

GR Basketball is growing strongly in Tasmania, as is GR soccer- both at record levels.
Male GR AF club & school competition nos. have been in a long term decline in Tasmania- & the once magnificent Tasmanian recruitment gold mine of star players into the VFL/AFL has, tragically, been greatly diminishing.

Will the introduction of a Tasmanian NBL team provide a stimulus for the AFL to "rescue" the neglected & demoralised Tasmanian GR AF- by introducing a Tas. 19th team into the AFL (which is being widely predicted,starting c. 2025)?

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
The NBL, riding on a crest of a wave of improving crowds & ratings, is soon almost certain to establish an NBL team in Hobart.

GR Basketball is growing strongly in Tasmania, as is GR soccer- both at record levels.
Male GR AF club & school competition nos. have been in a long term decline in Tasmania- & the once magnificent Tasmanian recruitment gold mine of star players into the VFL/AFL has, tragically, been greatly diminishing.

Will the introduction of a Tasmanian NBL team provide a stimulus for the AFL to "rescue" the neglected & demoralised Tasmanian GR AF- by introducing a Tas. 19th team into the AFL (which is being widely predicted,starting c. 2025)?
They should in my opinion had a AFL team in Tassie before GWS and the GCS. Just saying

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League

Do not think the NBL having a team in Tasmania will have an effect on the AFL one way or the other.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Another massive 600 crowd( looks like they might have counted twice as well going by the TV)on a perfect night in Melbourne at the Womens soccer last and as I said before the ABC is wasting OUR money on broadcasting this rubbish that clearly not very many people apart from friends and family are interested in.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Another massive 600 crowd( looks like they might have counted twice as well going by the TV)on a perfect night in Melbourne at the Womens soccer last and as I said before the ABC is wasting OUR money on broadcasting this rubbish that clearly not very many people apart from friends and family are interested in.
W league ratings compare well to A league ratings.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
that is the reason why they are telecasting it. ABC are promoting women's sport. I very much doubt it is costing them much.

If a government TV channel is going to broadcast sports, it should be sports which need it and has little or no demand. The aim should not be ratings but building an audience and promoting sport as a healthy activity

Edit: thought I post an article from 2014 when they cut the WNBL and W-League. Makes my point more clear.

Last edited:
It's ridiculous given the club has a generic name. Why not Wyndham United if that's the point of the club? They're going to have fu** all fans regardless in the short term, at least that would give them a bit of an identity that might help them out long term.

I can only envisage 1 of 3 things.
- The investors are incredibly dumb
- The investors are massive, massive soccer fans with far too much money
- There's some serious under the table s**t that no-one's found out about yet

Have to say though that this is genuinely the most fascinating off field sports story I can remember. Secret investors, huge payments that make no sense, big plans that make even less sense. It's got everything.

depends upon the size of the land parcel

for example, Williams Landing was 275 hectares around the old RAAF base, and was a $1.5b development.

A quick google showed the site listed as the address for the stadium development (1160 Sayers Road) is 133 hectares

Also the council had a redevelopment plan for this in 2013/14, had plans to have a $55m aquatic centre as a cornerstone of the redevelopment in 2015, went to tender in 2017, and look to have tried again more recently.

As such, this is a piece of land that have been trying to urbanize for 7 years now, but for whatever reason it has remained untouched (i couldnt find any obvious reasons, but there was some opposition in council to the cost of the aquatic centre.

Also realestate.com.au is saying the land was sold in 2009 for $27m, so a bad guess would be thats when council bought it up

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
Looks like another racial incidence in the premier league overnight. Alleged monkey chants directed at a Chelsea player from Tottenham supporters was highlighted by the player which the Chelsea captain then reported the match official. Once again sky sports pundit Gary Neville laid some of the blame for this on both the political parties in Britain who have been seen to be fueling this type of behavior. There have been suggestions that players should start walking off the field in protest towards this behavior. Graeme Souness slammed the PFA for being weak and worrying to much of PR and not taking a stronger stand in protecting players. All pundits agreed unanimously that governing bodies need to take a stronger stand in the fight against racism with stronger bands and stronger ad campaigns to start highlighting the issue.

Last edited:

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The afl wont just give tasmania just because they want it,the afl have never said they plan on expanding anytime soon, even with a very good business case it probaly wont happen for another 10 to 20 years.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Looks like another racial incidence in the premier league overnight. Alleged monkey chants directed at a Chelsea player from Tottenham supporters was highlighted by the player which the Chelsea captain then reported the match official. Once again sky sports pundit Gary Neville laid some of the blame for this on both the political parties in Britain who have been seen to be fueling this type of behavior. There have been suggestions that players should start walking off the field in protest towards this behavior. Graeme Souness slammed the PFA for being weak and worrying to much of PR and not taking a stronger stand in protecting players. All pundits agreed unanimously that governing bodies need to take a stronger stand in the fight against racism with stronger bands and stronger ad campaigns to start highlighting the issue.

Nothing will be done as the premier league and the English FA have the ostrich system = heads in the sand.
For them its all about the corporate pound in this case.

A-League Round 11:

WSW v WU - 11,988
Well v Syd - 8,855
MCity v Vic - 18,038
Perth v New - 6,585
CCM v Adel - 4,848

The Melbourne Derby was actually 17,083 and is the lowest of the 29 played so far. None of the others had dropped below 20k. Previous low 20,083 in 2017-18.

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
I honestly didn't know there was a third Melbourne team in the A league till i read the above post.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
It's like they killed the Melbourne derby by bringing in another team. Suddenly it's just another game, like most Vic v Vic games in the AFL.
I wonder if Macarther coming in next season will have a similar effect on the Sydney derby.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
I wonder if Macarther coming in next season will have a similar effect on the Sydney derby.

At least for the Sydney clubs, they have some sort of identity.
The Victory and City represent the whole of Melbourne, and then you have this spud of a club stuck out in the middle of no man's land.

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Melbourne Derby was actually 17,083 and is the lowest of the 29 played so far. None of the others had dropped below 20k. Previous low 20,083 in 2017-18.

Perhaps even more pertinent is that since Heart became Melbourne City in 2014, they've always attracted between 22,000 and 26,000 to that pre-Christmas derby (which is scheduled as their home game at AAMI Park every year). To get 17,000 is probably the strongest indicator yet that A-League attendances will disappoint overall this year, partly as a result of the competition's overall standing and in this particular instance due to Melbourne Victory fielding perhaps the poorest side they've had since 2005-06.

I thought about a month ago that average regular season attendances would still end up in that 10,000-11,000 band this year, but it now looks unlikely.

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
1160 Sayers Road in Tarneit looks to be an address on a single lane road, with no pedestrian access nearby even linking it to Wyndham Vale Station (which is at least 3 kilometres away). It's basically what Casey Fields was when it was being built 15 years ago, which was a community asset rather than a commercial precinct.

The idea that there'll be a stadium there in three years time seems impossible. Even before we get to zoning permissions, construction contracts and finance - how will the road and rail access be improved that would even make construction possible? Let alone cope with match day traffic of up to 15,000 people?

There's either corruption or incompetence at play. Maybe both?

Back