2019/20 Italian Football Thread - Serie A

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
From what I remember, the Napoli president wanted to punish the players by forcing them to stay at this place. Ancelotti didn't agree with this, and the players didn't go. He also threatened to take like a 25% cut out of players' wages and was publicly hanging players like Mertens out to dry. I believe it was Gab Marcotti who spoke about this a number of times on podcasts I listen to. I got the idea the Napoli president just lost it and was threatening with things that are illegal or aren't of this time anymore (like that camp thing). He wants to sell or push out some of his top players, but no idea how he'll attract quality players to replace them if he acts like this.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
From what I remember, the Napoli president wanted to punish the players by forcing them to stay at this place. Ancelotti didn't agree with this, and the players didn't go. He also threatened to take like a 25% cut out of players' wages and was publicly hanging players like Mertens out to dry. I believe it was Gab Marcotti who spoke about this a number of times on podcasts I listen to. I got the idea the Napoli president just lost it and was threatening with things that are illegal or aren't of this time anymore (like that camp thing). He wants to sell or push out some of his top players, but no idea how he'll attract quality players to replace them if he acts like this.
What an over emotional idiot ADL is if so

Still think a new manager needs to come in though

All the good work done by Fiorentina in October and early November to climb up the table after a bad start has come to little, we have lost our last three and are now sliding back towards the relegation zone. This time we lost 1-0 to Lecce.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Credit to Lazio for making us look very average and putting us to the sword after Cuadrado was sent off.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
He’s not the best but I think the 4-3-3 suits Napoli better and Gattusso can give them a good kick up the arse. He got a pretty average Milan team one point away from the top 4.

Bringing in Ancelotti was probably a mistake in the first place as well. Why fire the coach that got the most points in you’re clubs history for a coach that’s historically more of a cup manager?

Adam_23

All Australian
Apr 14, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd, Napoli, Cavs
Not sure there's many managers out there atm that'll excell with this squad.

In additon to weak depth in some areas, our senior core of players have run their race at the club. Things have become stale, new cycle needed.

Insigne, Allan, Hysaj, Callejon, Mertens... all looking like they just need a fresh start. Even Koulibaly has taken a step back this season (i wouldn't sell him though).

Gattuso did ok with Milan, I'm not opposed to him being appointed.

Adam_23

All Australian
Apr 14, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
As expected, Fiorentina fired Montella after the Roma defeat.

Pellegrini and Zaniolo starring again. Roma are starting to look really, really good under Fonseca.

And speaking of good, Atalanta tearing Milan apart right now. What a 2019 they've had! So incredibly well coached.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Milan have too many average players Rodriguez, Calhanoglu, Suso and Bonaventura and they keep wasting money on youngsters that won’t kick on like Piatek and Leao.

Adam_23

All Australian
Apr 14, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
WE FINALLY WON. Tactical masterclass by Gattuso in the second half 😂

First half was arguably our worst of any during winless run, but great response.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Milan have too many average players Rodriguez, Calhanoglu, Suso and Bonaventura and they keep wasting money on youngsters that won’t kick on like Piatek and Leao.
Agreed

Their squad belongs in a less physical, less tactical league, like La Liga/Premeira Liga.

Far too many soft players who won't dig in, they need enforcers holding up defence and midfield, then build from there.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Montella in danger as Fiorentina go down 4-1 to Roma at home. Seven games without a win now.

Ribery's not been fit and Montella has failed to adapt his formation to account for his absence, plus Fiorentina lack strikers. Not surprised he's been sacked.

Ribery's not been fit and Montella has failed to adapt his formation to account for his absence, plus Fiorentina lack strikers. Not surprised he's been sacked.

He’s now been sacked three times in two years, has done nothing since his first stint at Fiorentina.

Back