ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool

Well said by Gary Neville here.

I think what the producer meant to say was: “Gary’s views about the leadership of the country are not those of Rupert Murdoch, who incidentally does lead the country.”

It’s not up for debate that racist comments attributed to the UK’s most influential political leader are there in black and white. He made these comments, was given the opportunity to apologise and retract them, and instead chose to double down. The opposition has also faced accusations over the years.

Would it really be a surprise if this was having an impact on the terraces at football stadia?

Beyond banning offenders from attending games I don’t think there’s much more the clubs can do. I completely agree that the Premier League and the FA need to take a more hard line stance against racism.

Last edited:

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anthony Taylor is the reason we have VAR, he is a truly terrible referee. No idea how he keeps getting big games.

That Alonso penalty was clear as day in real time and he gives the foul the other way, that is just textbook bottle job refereeing. And this is only a couple of weeks after not giving that penalty at the Etihad for the clear foul on Rashford.

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Anthony Taylor is the reason we have VAR, he is a truly terrible referee. No idea how he keeps getting big games.

That Alonso penalty was clear as day in real time and he gives the foul the other way, that is just textbook bottle job refereeing. And this is only a couple of weeks after not giving that penalty at the Etihad for the clear foul on Rashford.
It was a howler alright but was a very big tick for VAR for me. When Taylor pointed for a Tottenham free kick I was about to go mental until remembering VAR will have a look. Calmed me right down knowing we were likely going to get the right outcome which is what happened.

One thing I never understand with these racist chants coming from the stands, is surely there are people within the same group of supporters of the very background & colour as the target. Not necessarily joining in, but just being there. I can understand they probably don't want to say anything out of fear of their own safety, but I find it strange it still continues to happen despite all that

It’s not up for debate that racist comments attributed to the UK’s most influential political leader are there in black and white. He made these comments, was given the opportunity to apologise and retract them, and instead chose to double down. The opposition has also faced accusations over the years.

It's just a distraction imo. Anyone using comments from Johnson or Corbyn years (if not decades) ago as an excuse for being racist at a football game wouldn't be seen as credible.

Trying to pin things on one party (leader) or the other just means that politics becomes the issue, not racism.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Well said by Gary Neville here.

I think what the producer meant to say was: “Gary’s views about the leadership of the country are not those of Rupert Murdoch, who incidentally does lead the country.”

Would it really be a surprise if this was having an impact on the terraces at football stadia?

Beyond banning offenders from attending games I don’t think there’s much more the clubs can do. I completely agree that the Premier League and the FA need to take a more hard line stance against racism.

Lol are you trying to say that the racism is down to Boris Johnson? Ffs get a grip

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gary Neville was quite clear to mention both major political parties as being equally as bad.

A couple of prom games in empty stadiums might bring this to a head. No chance it will happen though.
It’s nothing to do with the politicians. Like some have said you’ll never entirely stamp out racism from society. The fact that a few are found in stadiums across England is a symptom of that. Twitter and other very left wing media love to blame the politicians or the people voting for them. It’s sour grapes because they are upset they lost. Saw it after Brexit, Trump and now Boris.

Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets
It was a howler alright but was a very big tick for VAR for me. When Taylor pointed for a Tottenham free kick I was about to go mental until remembering VAR will have a look. Calmed me right down knowing we were likely going to get the right outcome which is what happened.
Was one of the weirder decision.

WTF was Gazza thinking!

money has to wonder where VAR went on the holds in the box for Spurs though.

surely they can just tighten it right up by saying holdinf an opponent while not watching the ball is a penalty. Would be so black and white and clear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I didn't see that coming. Huge win, and especially great to see Frank change things up after a dire month. Probably the best game I've seen Willian play too, if only he could do that more consistently.

Also, the Gazzaniga incident is exactly why VAR was brought in, to reverse obvious howlers. It just needs to be left to do that and not judge offsides by millimetres.

Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets
It’s nothing to do with the politicians. Like some have said you’ll never entirely stamp out racism from society. The fact that a few are found in stadiums across England is a symptom of that. Twitter and other very left wing media love to blame the politicians or the people voting for them. It’s sour grapes because they are upset they lost. Saw it after Brexit, Trump and now Boris.
It’s those sort of lazy generalisations in the media that get Trump and Boris elected

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
One thing I never understand with these racist chants coming from the stands, is surely there are people within the same group of supporters of the very background & colour as the target. Not necessarily joining in, but just being there. I can understand they probably don't want to say anything out of fear of their own safety, but I find it strange it still continues to happen despite all that

And every side has African, Asian, Middle-Eastern players.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
It's just a distraction imo. Anyone using comments from Johnson or Corbyn years (if not decades) ago as an excuse for being racist at a football game wouldn't be seen as credible.

Trying to pin things on one party (leader) or the other just means that politics becomes the issue, not racism.
Lol are you trying to say that the racism is down to Boris Johnson? Ffs get a grip

I’m pretty sure we’ve had this discussion before.

In short, I agree that racism cannot be pinned to a single political leader. These people (who are in the minority) were racist before these politicians and the current media narrative came along, and they’ll probably be racist after they’re gone. What I am saying is that I think it has an impact and at best it doesn’t help the situation.

I’m a firm believer across a range of different issues in the workplace and in society that the standard you walk past is the standard you accept, and through this leaders influence culture (for better or worse).

There are many people in the community who are very easily influenced by what they read in the papers and hear out of the mouths of our most influential elected politicians. It’s not a line of direct causation nor is it the only factor at play, but of course it has an impact in creating an environment where it becomes more acceptable for this small group of people to voice these racist sentiments. As Neville points out, if that’s the standard set by our elected leaders, what can we expect from the terraces?

From the FA and the Premier League’s perspective, it would be fantastic if they stood up and filled the leadership vacuum which currently exists on this issue, and took a more hardline stance.

Last edited:
Can we take the political talk to um, I don't know, the SRP board?

Since it is relevant to football and specifically actions on the football pitch literally this morning, it's relevant to this board and thread don't you think? If you don't like it no one's forcing you to read it?

Back