Coach North Melbourne Football Department Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope he can "stat" some tackles in to Ahern.

It's good that we have a top notch stats bloke, but nothing beats watching the game/tape when it ultimately comes to analysing footballers. Statistics just build on that base.
Hopefully he's a good compliment to some really solid football people.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hopefully he's a good compliment to some really solid football people.

.........and that's how I think we must ultimately view the bloke mate.

If we get a few outside chances delivering, then the supercoach element around here will build monuments to the bloke, and if we land some duds, the same folks will call for his head............when in fact he's just another spoke in the wheel.

I'm actually more interested in what he could bring us in the way of game day analysis, but I suppose that's not his gig any more. This is the true strong suit of the stats folks. Game. Day. Analysis.

As emperor palpatine would have said, everything is proceeding as foreseen. We actually did the biggest off season recruitment as we got people who are more attune to the modern needs of AFL. We also picked up a gem or two here and there, who knows when the planet aligns this year, melbourne finishes last, De Goey jumps ship, who says good things don't happen in lumps.

I don't recall you forseeing that.

I think you might be right about the bold tho. All up thats a reasonably coherent and upbeat post, so if you can improve there's no reason the side can't.

I hope he can "stat" some tackles in to Ahern.

It's good that we have a top notch stats bloke, but nothing beats watching the game/tape when it ultimately comes to analysing footballers. Statistics just build on that base.
Totally agree.

I don't recall you forseeing that.

I think you might be right about the bold tho. All up thats a reasonably coherent and upbeat post, so if you can improve there's no reason the side can't.

I might need to consider unblocking him if these sort of post reviews keep coming through!

AFL football has not seen change like it. In the space of six months every single leadership position at North Melbourne bar the chairman has changed.
North has a new chief executive, general manager of football, list manager and a senior coach appointed mid-season. While all the appointments have experience, none have experience in the positions they are now in.

They are a club of P-plate leaders.

North Melbourne chairman Ben Buckley said the club did not plan to completely overhaul its football department when it began making changes mid-season and parted ways with coach Brad Scott but he said the club was frustrated and impatient for success.

He was at pains to praise the outgoing staff members but plainly North believed they had stagnated and needed major changes to the entire football department.

Brad Scott was the first significant change at the club when he left mid-contract and mid-season, acknowledging the club was determined for a re-set and re-direction and his departure provided for clear air. He was replaced by Rhyce Shaw, initially on an interim basis but soon as the permanent senior coach.

Shaw was highly regarded at Sydney, where he worked as an assistant coach for three years after retiring. He moved to North at the end of last year to work as an assistant. His is the shortest coaching apprenticeship of all current senior AFL coaches.

Then the sentiment for change gathered momentum. Cameron Joyce was moved on as general manager of football and replaced by former player Brady Rawlings, who had been list manager at West Coast. Rawlings, too, was very highly regarded at West Coast, and was put on gardening leave before taking up his appointment at North at season’s end once his Eagles contract ended. He has not, though, been a GM of football before.

List manager Mick McMahon left at the end of the season and has been replaced by respected former Champion Data analyst Glenn Luff who had been hired earlier this year as a football analyst. Luff is very well regarded from his time at Champion and like Rawlings will likely do well in his position, but he too is breaking new professional ground.

None of these appointments in isolation would be remarkable but the fact of so many leadership positions being held at once by people without direct experience in those roles is surprising.

Then there’s the non-footy shift. On top of this sweeping football change the club split with chief executive Carl Dilena, who impressive commercial success at the club but was regarded as too commercially focused.

Sources indicated the club had been eager to introduce a chief executive with a stronger football than commercial background and former board member and ex-Richmond chief executive Mark Brayshaw was on the short list.

The club then surprised with the appointment of Ben Amarfio, who has strong commercial background but little football pedigree. He worked with Buckley at the AFL in broadcasting. And, of course, was at Cricket Australia for six years until he left late last year after a change of chief executive and an overhaul of management and culture.

The likelihood is North will soon appoint an experienced football person, with a strong suggestion that respected veteran list manager Scott Clayton could be sought for a role mentoring Rawlings and Luff.

North have been bold in its appointments. They have run at the idea of change rather than run from it. They are impatient for success but also will need to be understanding of staff finding their way.

AFL football has not seen change like it. In the space of six months every single leadership position at North Melbourne bar the chairman has changed.
North has a new chief executive, general manager of football, list manager and a senior coach appointed mid-season. While all the appointments have experience, none have experience in the positions they are now in.

They are a club of P-plate leaders.

North Melbourne chairman Ben Buckley said the club did not plan to completely overhaul its football department when it began making changes mid-season and parted ways with coach Brad Scott but he said the club was frustrated and impatient for success.

He was at pains to praise the outgoing staff members but plainly North believed they had stagnated and needed major changes to the entire football department.

Brad Scott was the first significant change at the club when he left mid-contract and mid-season, acknowledging the club was determined for a re-set and re-direction and his departure provided for clear air. He was replaced by Rhyce Shaw, initially on an interim basis but soon as the permanent senior coach.

Shaw was highly regarded at Sydney, where he worked as an assistant coach for three years after retiring. He moved to North at the end of last year to work as an assistant. His is the shortest coaching apprenticeship of all current senior AFL coaches.

Then the sentiment for change gathered momentum. Cameron Joyce was moved on as general manager of football and replaced by former player Brady Rawlings, who had been list manager at West Coast. Rawlings, too, was very highly regarded at West Coast, and was put on gardening leave before taking up his appointment at North at season’s end once his Eagles contract ended. He has not, though, been a GM of football before.

List manager Mick McMahon left at the end of the season and has been replaced by respected former Champion Data analyst Glenn Luff who had been hired earlier this year as a football analyst. Luff is very well regarded from his time at Champion and like Rawlings will likely do well in his position, but he too is breaking new professional ground.

None of these appointments in isolation would be remarkable but the fact of so many leadership positions being held at once by people without direct experience in those roles is surprising.

Then there’s the non-footy shift. On top of this sweeping football change the club split with chief executive Carl Dilena, who impressive commercial success at the club but was regarded as too commercially focused.

Sources indicated the club had been eager to introduce a chief executive with a stronger football than commercial background and former board member and ex-Richmond chief executive Mark Brayshaw was on the short list.

The club then surprised with the appointment of Ben Amarfio, who has strong commercial background but little football pedigree. He worked with Buckley at the AFL in broadcasting. And, of course, was at Cricket Australia for six years until he left late last year after a change of chief executive and an overhaul of management and culture.

The likelihood is North will soon appoint an experienced football person, with a strong suggestion that respected veteran list manager Scott Clayton could be sought for a role mentoring Rawlings and Luff.

North have been bold in its appointments. They have run at the idea of change rather than run from it. They are impatient for success but also will need to be understanding of staff finding their way.

This is the backs to the wall underdog tag we strive for!

We love this and will use it to our strength!

Bring on 2020

North Melbourne has significantly strengthened its Recruitment and List Management departments with the appointment of Scott Clayton to the newly created position of Head of Player Personnel.

Clayton brings with him a wealth of experience during his time with the Lions, Dogs, Suns and most recently, the Eagles where he formed part of the recruiting team in their premiership year. His role will encompass draft, trade and list management strategy.

Clayton’s appointment comes just days after the club announced highly regarded analyst Glenn Luff as its list manager and experienced former coach, Darren Crocker, as mature age scout.

Along with national recruiting manager, Mark Finnigan, Clayton will have plenty to work with ahead of the 2020 draft with North holding two first-round picks for the first time in its history.

Clayton will commence his role with the Kangaroos on January 14.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North Melbourne has significantly strengthened its Recruitment and List Management departments with the appointment of Scott Clayton to the newly created position of Head of Player Personnel.

Clayton brings with him a wealth of experience during his time with the Lions, Dogs, Suns and most recently, the Eagles where he formed part of the recruiting team in their premiership year. His role will encompass draft, trade and list management strategy.

Clayton’s appointment comes just days after the club announced highly regarded analyst Glenn Luff as its list manager and experienced former coach, Darren Crocker, as mature age scout.

Along with national recruiting manager, Mark Finnigan, Clayton will have plenty to work with ahead of the 2020 draft with North holding two first-round picks for the first time in its history.

Clayton will commence his role with the Kangaroos on January 14.

So we’re appointing experienced people to newly created roles. Certainly doesn’t scream financially challenged as some peanuts in the media like to portray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His role will encompass draft, trade and list management strategy.
Seems ambiguous to me, in terms of seniority and role. Does Luff report to him, and if so, why?
Is it a 'management' role vs a 'consulting/mentoring role?

Edit: afl.com says: "New North list boss Glenn Luff and national recruiting manager Mark Finnigan will answer to Clayton." Why?

Seems ambiguous to me, in terms of seniority and role. Does Luff report to him, and if so, why?
Is it a 'management' role vs a 'consulting/mentoring role?

Edit: afl.com says: "New North list boss Glenn Luff and national recruiting manager Mark Finnigan will answer to Clayton." Why?
Probably because those departments have been excessively underperforming and hence we have a change of roles.
Luffy is inexperienced. Definitely has his P plates still on and he admits that himself. It’s been a meteoric rise from CD statistician to List Manager in 12 months time. Unheard of. Hell appreciate bouncing ideas off Clayton.

As for Finnigan, he gets final say on all draft calls. He’ll consult with Shaw and Luffy but at the end of the day the call is his.
He’s the recruiting manager and I doubt he’ll answer to Clayton as much as Luffy will.

Probably because those departments have been excessively underperforming and hence we have a change of roles.
Luffy is inexperienced. Definitely has his P plates still on and he admits that himself. It’s been a meteoric rise from CD statistician to List Manager in 12 months time. Unheard of. Hell appreciate bouncing ideas off Clayton.

As for Finnigan, he gets final say on all draft calls. He’ll consult with Shaw and Luffy but at the end of the day the call is his.
He’s the recruiting manager and I doubt he’ll answer to Clayton as much as Luffy will.
Good to know re Finnigan and if you're right about it being a more 'mentoring' than 'directive' role with Luff, then I'm okay with that.

Good to know re Finnigan and if you're right about it being a more 'mentoring' than 'directive' role with Luff, then I'm okay with that.
Yep it’s more process guidance rather than answering to Clayton.
No list manager at other clubs would be doing much in December but Luffy is still learning the ropes.
This time next year he should be well established.

Has anyone got a copy of that picture handy of Buckley in full stern look mode last year, when the side was playing like crabs?

I think it was round 9 v Sydney in Hobart.

THAT'S the moment when I knew the world was going to change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back