Resource 2022 NMFC Membership thread - Final Tally: 50,191

Remove this Banner Ad

It's all about the facade really. The smoke and mirrors, chest beating and grand promises made every year during the off-season to garner interest and build support for the coming season. No club in their right mind is going to tell its supporters that they pretty much have the same prospects for the coming season as what they achieved in the previous season. I think that North have pretty much just endured two of their worst seasons since 1973. We were seriously on the improve in the second half of 2019 despite one absolutely horrific game. One wants to think that we will only improve as we consolidate support in Tasmania, build depth with the VFL, and expand our brand and appeal through the AFLW. Perhaps the new CEO and Coaching Staff will produce better outcomes to bolster and build a hunger in the senior team for the Flag. Otherwise, why would we bother?

Well, it sure beats trying to “garner interest” by putting him on the cover of True North and Taylor’s hammies giving up the ghost for the entire season...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond has always had a huge following, they just go missing when they're s**t.

They are an original "Big 4" club.

Very passionate fans but I know a lot of people who have only recently jumped on the bandwagon and will be the first ones to jump off at the first signs the bandwagon breaks down. It is good for clubs to cash in when the downhill skiers jump on board, but I think building a rock solid base while you are hopeless on-field is a good sign that you can endure the lean periods.

30k is a great start for us and it would be nice to hit 50k, but if we get 50k members and only 20k turn up to home games then the number between 20k and 50k is a bit dubious imo. The AFL only counted full memberships before and people that invested in full memberships typically committed to going to games.

I think the Whyndham region has given us some natural growth, while Rhyce has done a great job to date, I think a lot of people who were in the wilderness will want to see a better season than finishing 12th and being inconsistent. If we want to get more people on board I think we need to provide more evidence that we can defend and fight out games which aren't on our terms. If Ziebell has to apologise for the way we play every 3 or 4 weeks and the average punter doesn't have any confidence if we are going to be good or shithouse on any given week then it is going to massively impact how many non-hardcore supporters jump on board.

I think if Rhyce can turn that around we will see it translate into memberships and attendances in 2021+, while the second half of our season was better under Rhyce in 2019, there was still massive variances in performances. We need to be a professional club that supporters can rely on to be competitive every week.

North Melbourne's membership* and merchandise outlets at Arden St will be open right up until Christmas Eve this year.

See below for our Christmas opening hours.

Friday, December 20 - 9am - 1pm (early close due to staff Christmas party)
Saturday, December 21 - 9am to 2pm
Monday, December 23 & Tuesday, December 24 - 9am - 5pm

The club will be closed from Christmas Day, returning Monday, January 13.

The cut-off for merchandise to be delivered to homes before Christmas is December 19.

*Please note, that Membership Services phone line will be closed from 1pm Friday, December 20 and will reopen on Monday, January 13. Please email membership@nmfc.com.au if the matter is urgent.

Very passionate fans but I know a lot of people who have only recently jumped on the bandwagon and will be the first ones to jump off at the first signs the bandwagon breaks down. It is good for clubs to cash in when the downhill skiers jump on board, but I think building a rock solid base while you are hopeless on-field is a good sign that you can endure the lean periods.

30k is a great start for us and it would be nice to hit 50k, but if we get 50k members and only 20k turn up to home games then the number between 20k and 50k is a bit dubious imo. The AFL only counted full memberships before and people that invested in full memberships typically committed to going to games.

I think the Whyndham region has given us some natural growth, while Rhyce has done a great job to date, I think a lot of people who were in the wilderness will want to see a better season than finishing 12th and being inconsistent. If we want to get more people on board I think we need to provide more evidence that we can defend and fight out games which aren't on our terms. If Ziebell has to apologise for the way we play every 3 or 4 weeks and the average punter doesn't have any confidence if we are going to be good or shithouse on any given week then it is going to massively impact how many non-hardcore supporters jump on board.

I think if Rhyce can turn that around we will see it translate into memberships and attendances in 2021+, while the second half of our season was better under Rhyce in 2019, there was still massive variances in performances. We need to be a professional club that supporters can rely on to be competitive every week.

For sure all clubs skew membership figures as they aren’t analysed by the ato. But I’m relation to the diff between 40k members and a 20k attendance, we have a massive % if interstate members. Tassie obviously, but I also remember hearing that we are one of the best supported vic sides in WA. And playing games in Canberra and even Gold Coast probably adds to the numbers.

Plus I hear we are counting women’s team memberships in that figure, so some might not be real match day supporters of the men’s team.

For sure all clubs skew membership figures as they aren’t analysed by the ato. But I’m relation to the diff between 40k members and a 20k attendance, we have a massive % if interstate members. Tassie obviously, but I also remember hearing that we are one of the best supported vic sides in WA. And playing games in Canberra and even Gold Coast probably adds to the numbers.

Plus I hear we are counting women’s team memberships in that figure, so some might not be real match day supporters of the men’s team.

That is what I mean that the number between those that attend and the number we report is varying degrees of bullshit depending on how it is made up. In 2018 on average we had $163.43 of membership revenue per member and it is not massively different to most other Victorian clubs who report their membership revenue in their annual report. Hawthorn is $164.49, Carlton $169.45, Essendon $176.66, Footscray $177.73 and St Kilda $177.81. Richmond doesn't report their membership revenue and all the other clubs include other things into the number so you can't really make a direct comparison.

Given Tasmanian memberships are $70 and Interstate is $160 for adult versions plus for all the memberships concession and junior prices are substantially lower, I am not sure we have a huge mass of low value non-Victorian memberships, that would likely drive our revenue per membership down quite dramatically I would imagine. For example, GWS reported around 21k members in 2018 but their membership revenue per member was $87.86, that figure includes merchandise sales, the low value and free memberships the AFL give away are obvious when you look at the membership revenue per member figure.

We don't seem to have much shenaniganry going on, especially when you factor we have 5k ish low value Tasmanian members. I think over the years we have lost a lot of the support we once had in SA and WA, at least in terms of financial numbers. If we had 30k out of 50k off-shore then I would expect our membership revenue per member to be a lot lower than it is.

Showing my age here - what's the go with leaving that ridiculous big sticker on the peak? Is it the modern equivalent of not removing the small fabric tag sewn onto a suit sleeve?

“ I used to be with it then they changed what it was......”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back