Who do you want to debut in 2020?

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Probably one of the hardest list questions to answer in this PS.

I agree they won’t go into next season thinking bottom 4 at all. I think what many forget is playing kids like Jones and McHenry don’t automatically make us worse.

I think they will have been bitterly disappointed in Gibbs output and attitude last year, and will be putting it on him to respond.

I think after what he showed last year he’s nothing like automatic best 22 and will need a very strong pre season just to be in the conversation.

My guess is he starts in the 2’s and hopefully for all parties he works his way into the 1st. No guarantees though even if his form is ok.
I’m not sure how any discussion on bottom 4 commences ? ..... who have we lost that sees us plummeting down the ladder ?

The Port Rookies did excellent jobs when given the opportunity last season .... I see an influx of youth, renewed enthusiasm and a new Coach ... having us banging on the door of the 8

The loss of Keath hurts .... but not the others .... exciting year ahead !!!

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I’m not sure how any discussion on bottom 4 commences ? ..... who have we lost that sees us plummeting down the ladder ?

The Port Rookies did excellent jobs when given the opportunity last season .... I see an influx of youth, renewed enthusiasm and a new Coach ... having us banging on the door of the 8

Agree. Also the return of Doedee counteracts the loss of Keath

Hopefully we stay out of the bottom 4, but the biggest difference is we now lack experienced depth... which is not a bad thing in rebuild mode.

We will have more players under 50 games, which will lead to more inconsistency. JJ & Eddie won't have their goals replaced by Frampton/EH & Stengle. We don't have an immediate quality CHB to replace Keath.

Personally I'm more excited by playing more of the recent years draftees, because losing playing experienced players not playing well is pointless.

Dc9798

Club Legend
Dec 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus FC
Best bet would be Daul Cab ute with chairs in the Back and Back up to the Fence
But we managed to see them using the entrance of Turner Drive, and find a good place along the fence needs to be Southern side, and take some Bino's, While you are there pop into the Crows Cafe sometimes there are a few people to meet.
A mate was saying he also gain a good Spot of Brebner drive.
My biggest problem is I don't drive these days and rely on others and that's why I want a move to North Adelaide.

Checkside Tavern side you should be able to have a look at some training.
Agree though on the move to North Adelaide, can’t come quick enough .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ned is number one. If he doesn't debut (barring injury), then we've learned nothing.

JLT will be fascinating. That idiot Pyke had us playing our oldest, slowest and least exciting side for pre-season games FFS. Hopefully that mindset is no longer at the club.

It’s never too early to start building continuity credits.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think if the AFC really felt how EC feels about our prospects this year, then we would have found a way to get Gibbs off the list.

I think it is more likely they see Gibbs as best 22, and they see us as in the mix for finals.

Where do you think Gibbs plays most of his footy this year, AFL or SANFL?

Gibbs a bigger challenge than most though. Big contract, rumours swirling and he’s only in SA due to his missus. If Port weren’t interested, and why would they be, he’s not going anywhere. We’d need to delist him and pay him out, which I doubt we had the cap space to do, or do a Tippett and keep him on the list but tell him not to bother turning up. As he’s not toxic, he might as well train.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Gibbs a bigger challenge than most though. Big contract, rumours swirling and he’s only in SA due to his missus. If Port weren’t interested, and why would they be, he’s not going anywhere. We’d need to delist him and pay him out, which I doubt we had the cap space to do, or do a Tippett and keep him on the list but tell him not to bother turning up. As he’s not toxic, he might as well train.
I reckon if we were serious about Bryce in the reserves and guys like Hamill and Sholl in the ones, then we would have found a way

People said the same thing about Jenkins’ contract. If you really don’t see a future for the guy in the ones then you find a way

Given Bryce is on our list, I reckon it is likely we will manufacture a role for Bryce in the ones, and leave Hamill and Sholl to develop their games in the reserves

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon if we were serious about Bryce in the reserves and guys like Hamill and Sholl in the ones, then we would have found a way

People said the same thing about Jenkins’ contract. If you really don’t see a future for the guy in the ones then you find a way

Given Bryce is on our list, I reckon it is likely we will manufacture a role for Bryce in the ones, and leave Hamill and Sholl to develop their games in the reserves

Coaches a big factor in the lack of Sholl getting a crack. We’ve been reticent to give youth a crack ahead of an out of form senior. Don’t tell me Doedee wasn’t ready to debut in 2017 ahead of playing a cooked Otten as a 3rd tall defender. We might finally see change in this area and Gibbs the most likely casualty.

Dropping from 11th to the bottom 4 isn't exactly a plummet, flipping 2 of our wins into losses would have done that this season. Trying to adapt both the senior and the new players to an entirely new game plan at the same time is likely to bring teething problems. Most of our quality is either too old or too young as well, there's very little to write home about between 22 and 28.

They won't aim for bottom 4, but it's a realistic result with our current list profile.

McHenry at the very least should debut, but I don't see anyone else debuting in midfield. I strongly suspect that Keays will play round 1 - and if he does, and keeps his place, it's a big red flag that McAdam and Stengle will be heading for the exit end of year.

One or two of the younger key defenders ideally needs to be debuting as well, be it Butts, McAsey, or Worrell, because Hartigan is not the future, and shouldn't be the now either. The smaller defenders should also be given some auditions, ie McPherson, Sholl, Hamill, as I'd like to never see Milera in defense again, midfield-forward only, and I'd like us to try Smith as a half forward.

Last edited:
Given how much of our older side just gave up in 2nd halves this year, I doubt we will be much worse off playing younger players who will at least give a crack.

Imo we will finish around the same as this year, bur will be a more inconsistent & exciting year with more players under 50 games.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Given how much of our older side just gave up in 2nd halves this year, I doubt we will be much worse off playing younger players who will at least give a crack.

Imo we will finish around the same as this year, bur will be a more inconsistent & exciting year with more players under 50 games.
Game day thread will be one to watch

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Game day thread will be one to watch

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Neddy is the obvious one, but I'd suspect Schoenberg gets a crack and I reckon they'll rotate the tall draftees through the side.

Keays and Crocker will play games too.

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

This proves it. No wonder Mutineer has so much intel. He’s ten goal Tommy.
Nah, just base it off what I saw live right in front of me for his 2 year's at the Geelong Falcons, don't think I've ever seen a more tenacious 16/17 year old footballer with the hardness, evasiveness, aggression and skills and decision making to go with it. Love his niggle, feisty character and team first attitude and I can fully understand why Tommy and Tex are talking him up big time...he's a little ripper!

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nah, just base it off what I saw live right in front of me for his 2 year's at the Geelong Falcons, don't think I've ever seen a more tenacious 16/17 year old footballer with the hardness, evasiveness, aggression and skills and decision making to go with it. Love his niggle, feisty character and team first attitude and I can fully understand why Tommy and Tex are talking him up big time...he's a little ripper!
Tex is also talking up the season

Will he be right or wrong

Back