Star Wars movie

Remove this Banner Ad

I have quite enjoyed the sequel trilogy and by the end of next week will see ROS 4 times. While they made a big mistake not anchoring the trilogy with a central voice, they have managed to put together a pretty good story and more importantly, some interesting characters. It helps to have some genuinely good actors.

I couldn't give a rats if they copied beats from the originals, as long as you do it in a fresh way there is nothing wrong with that. But like TLJ I don't mind if they mix it up either. The prequels had the best trilogy story, but the worst direction/scripting/acting, so story alone a good film does not make.

My two favourite parts have to be Kylo's shrug and Poe's "come back to my house" face. Small moments but just loved it.

As for the "power" of the force users. They Force Unleashed it, for sure. But we see an elevation is force abilities as we move through the series. And I have no issue with Rey's abilities either as she obviously has power in her blood but more importantly, all this came to be once she touched the lightsaber. That is the moment and it is reinforced by the other Jedi voices, just as in this finale.

As for the future, they are free to go where they like, I just hope that is what creators are given. TFA had to be OT linked, had to be. However, while I enjoy Mandolorian, it is not really original or has a particularly interesting story at the moment, other than baby Yoda (I have the t-shirt), so I kinda laugh at people pointing to it as the direction. However, I would like to have some content from the current timelines mixed with the new we hopefully get. My kids love Rey, Poe and Finn and that tells me that they can move on from Skywalkers and not lose momentum.

Maybe Rey fighting the Yuuzhan Vong?

Luke really only started to have significant ability in the third movie after he had continued his training and he controlled his emotions somewhat.

This was the underlying message throughout the series, that it took training, discipline and control to be a jedi but through almost the entirety of the Disney movies Rey was rash, let her emotions control her decision making, often fought the sith when she was angry/emotional yet she had superhuman ability even by Jedi standards and she never failed in a spectacular way.

Yeah, true. He was more distant as a character in the third one too. Cos he'd completed his training I assume.

I have quite enjoyed the sequel trilogy and by the end of next week will see ROS 4 times. While they made a big mistake not anchoring the trilogy with a central voice, they have managed to put together a pretty good story and more importantly, some interesting characters. It helps to have some genuinely good actors.

I couldn't give a rats if they copied beats from the originals, as long as you do it in a fresh way there is nothing wrong with that. But like TLJ I don't mind if they mix it up either. The prequels had the best trilogy story, but the worst direction/scripting/acting, so story alone a good film does not make.

My two favourite parts have to be Kylo's shrug and Poe's "come back to my house" face. Small moments but just loved it.

As for the "power" of the force users. They Force Unleashed it, for sure. But we see an elevation is force abilities as we move through the series. And I have no issue with Rey's abilities either as she obviously has power in her blood but more importantly, all this came to be once she touched the lightsaber. That is the moment and it is reinforced by the other Jedi voices, just as in this finale.

As for the future, they are free to go where they like, I just hope that is what creators are given. TFA had to be OT linked, had to be. However, while I enjoy Mandolorian, it is not really original or has a particularly interesting story at the moment, other than baby Yoda (I have the t-shirt), so I kinda laugh at people pointing to it as the direction. However, I would like to have some content from the current timelines mixed with the new we hopefully get. My kids love Rey, Poe and Finn and that tells me that they can move on from Skywalkers and not lose momentum.

Maybe Rey fighting the Yuuzhan Vong?
I’ll doubt they’ll introduce the Vong with the scrapping of the original EU, but an outer-galaxy threat would be the go, as most people are probably sick of imperial types being the enemy.

I’ll doubt they’ll introduce the Vong with the scrapping of the original EU, but an outer-galaxy threat would be the go, as most people are probably sick of imperial types being the enemy.
I imagine a lot more people identify with imperial types these days.

Snazzy uniforms and big wheels (or spaceships) goes a long way these days.

I imagine a lot more people identify with imperial types these days.

Snazzy uniforms and big wheels (or spaceships) goes a long way these days.
Not going to bite.

In saying that, who didn’t get a kick out of seeing the old Star Destroyer’s. Even the Resurgent class ones are pretty cool, even though they never fired a shot.

Not going to bite.

In saying that, who didn’t get a kick out of seeing the old Star Destroyer’s. Even the Resurgent class ones are pretty cool, even though they never fired a shot.

I wasn't aiming that at anyone political. When the first Star Wars came out there was a clear delineation between which side were a pack of campaigners and which side weren't.

These days the idea of not being a campaigner if you can possibly manage it isn't even on the radar any more.

It's not unique to any side of politics either.

Then there was the tech thing. The rebels weren't tech orientated. They brought down walkers with tow ropes basically. Had rag tag fleets and hung out with Ewoks.

They jury rigged everything.

We love technology. Shiny new s**t. No one knows how to jury rig stuff any more. Well let me rephrase that...

I assume no one in the city knows how to jury rig anything cos I'm a bush based bigot who hates cities and knows nothing good ever comes from them.:cool:

The further I get away from my viewing the more things don’t make sense

I am sure in A New Hope Luke looks at the Hologram of Leia and says something like who is she and that from Ep3 the twins were separated at birth?

In Ep 9 with that training scene it appeared that they knew each other at the very least?

Wouldn’t Luke have looked at the hologram and said ‘yo Leia. Wats up’?
I read it as Luke training Leia post-ROTJ, as he had been trained. It was a small moment in this movie - and undercut severely for me by the CGI Leia - but I still appreciated that finally we’ve seen that she did learn to use her powers as Luke said she would.

I loved how much Leia was a part of this story, I loved the pilot from the original film bobbing up in the final battle, I loved the final two suns over Tattoine shot, I loved that Ewoks were seen and not heard, I loved Rey’s journey and I loved that Ben/Kylo reprised Anakin/Vader’s heroics. So many things I thought were a bit cheesy or a bit clunky, but I decided to enjoy the ride one more time. And I watched it with my sons, one of whom is 13 - the age I was when I saw the first film - and that helps remind me not to be judgy and to just have some fun.

I read it as Luke training Leia post-ROTJ, as he had been trained. It was a small moment in this movie - and undercut severely for me by the CGI Leia - but I still appreciated that finally we’ve seen that she did learn to use her powers as Luke said she would.

I loved how much Leia was a part of this story, I loved the pilot from the original film bobbing up in the final battle, I loved the final two suns over Tattoine shot, I loved that Ewoks were seen and not heard, I loved Rey’s journey and I loved that Ben/Kylo reprised Anakin/Vader’s heroics. So many things I thought were a bit cheesy or a bit clunky, but I decided to enjoy the ride one more time. And I watched it with my sons, one of whom is 13 - the age I was when I saw the first film - and that helps remind me not to be judgy and to just have some fun.

...well that’s how bad the CGI was...I thought they were teenagers around 15/16

Even though people like myself aren't a fan of the new trilogy and has left a sour taste in the mouth, hearing stuff like this warms the heart.

Art is subjective, and if anyone gets a positive experience out if it, all the better.

Even though people like myself aren't a fan of the new trilogy and has left a sour taste in the mouth, hearing stuff like this warms the heart.

Art is subjective, and if anyone gets a positive experience out if it, all the better.
The more Star Wars fans, the better. I loved the prequels as a kid, and I have no doubt that the new films have attracted plenty of the newer generations.

Abrams and Johnson did Leia a great disservice by making her as mostly background noise in the first two Disney movies before she passed away irl, perhaps they weren't confident she could pull off a major role. According to Lucas' expanded universe, Leia was a Jedi, she was partially trained informally by Luke but was later trained formally by a different jedi master in the new jedi order where she started to reach her potential with the force and eventually became a Jedi Knight.

Leia had a natural affinity with the force powers Force Harmony and Battle Meditation, which she used before she became a jedi knight, was able to help rescue Luke from the cloned Palpatine. Story sounds familiar as Abrams borrowed extensively from it. Cloned Palpatine had used Force Storm to capture Luke, Leia eventually went to rescue him, she used Force Harmony to protect Luke from the Force Storm. Palpatine then tried to use Force Storm on the new republic fleet when Leia used Battle Meditation, cutting Palpatine's connection with the dark side momentarily, forcing him to lose control of the storm which devoured his ship and killed Palpatine.

Palpatine never had grand children (as far as I remember), but had a son who was killed by Jaina Solo (daughter of Leia and Han) in a lightsaber duel. Jacen Solo (Ben in the movie) and twin of Jaina, became Darth Caedus. He wasn't the emo brat that he seemed to be in the movies, he was a Jedi who was a philosopher who didn't believe in using violence to combat violence and had a personal crisis when his younger brother was killed. He had premonitions/visions of a dark figure ruling the galaxy, which over time realised was his uncle Luke.

As the galaxy descended into chaos after the fall of the empire and the new republic being largely ineffective at dealing with galactic problems, a sith called Lumiya came to the conclusion that only the supreme will of a dark lord could impose order and stability. She had an encounter with Jaycen while he was a jedi, he divined the future and found that if he didn't go to the dark side then he would end up killing Luke and the galaxy would be consumed by chaos. He was eventually killed by his twin sister, Jaina.

It was an interesting story, Luke had attempted to infiltrate the sith and pose as switching to the dark side in order to get close to Palpatine and assassinate him. He failed in his attempt to assassinate Palpatine and Palpatine turned him to the dark side, it was Leia who brought him back.

Trying to align the EU with Disney's movies it seems Rey is somewhat of an amalgamation of Leia and her daughter Jaina, with Ben being largely Jaycen, although not sure where the Vadar worship thing came from.

When you look at the EU, it had a lot of prominent and powerful female characters, they would have got a lot less blowback if they said they just followed the EU storyline and dressed it up better for an action movie than try and create their own version.

It would have been great to see jedi master Mara Jade Skywalker (who married luke) and took Jaina as her apprentice until she achieved the rank of Jedi Knight. We went from return of the jedi where there was basically no jedi to the first disney movie where there were basically no jedi and a lot happened in between and would have made for some good movies imo.

I do agree that for young people if they didn't know anything much about Star Wars, the latest movie had a lot of action and on the surface was entertaining and I guess that is all that matters if you just want some entertainment. The only thing I really regret is the missed opportunity to have it be more than it is, to be on the same pedestal as the original movies.

Abrams and Johnson did Leia a great disservice by making her as mostly background noise in the first two Disney movies before she passed away irl, perhaps they weren't confident she could pull off a major role. According to Lucas' expanded universe, Leia was a Jedi, she was partially trained informally by Luke but was later trained formally by a different jedi master in the new jedi order where she started to reach her potential with the force and eventually became a Jedi Knight.

Leia had a natural affinity with the force powers Force Harmony and Battle Meditation, which she used before she became a jedi knight, was able to help rescue Luke from the cloned Palpatine. Story sounds familiar as Abrams borrowed extensively from it. Cloned Palpatine had used Force Storm to capture Luke, Leia eventually went to rescue him, she used Force Harmony to protect Luke from the Force Storm. Palpatine then tried to use Force Storm on the new republic fleet when Leia used Battle Meditation, cutting Palpatine's connection with the dark side momentarily, forcing him to lose control of the storm which devoured his ship and killed Palpatine.

Palpatine never had grand children (as far as I remember), but had a son who was killed by Jaina Solo (daughter of Leia and Han) in a lightsaber duel. Jacen Solo (Ben in the movie) and twin of Jaina, became Darth Caedus. He wasn't the emo brat that he seemed to be in the movies, he was a Jedi who was a philosopher who didn't believe in using violence to combat violence and had a personal crisis when his younger brother was killed. He had premonitions/visions of a dark figure ruling the galaxy, which over time realised was his uncle Luke.

As the galaxy descended into chaos after the fall of the empire and the new republic being largely ineffective at dealing with galactic problems, a sith called Lumiya came to the conclusion that only the supreme will of a dark lord could impose order and stability. She had an encounter with Jaycen while he was a jedi, he divined the future and found that if he didn't go to the dark side then he would end up killing Luke and the galaxy would be consumed by chaos. He was eventually killed by his twin sister, Jaina.

It was an interesting story, Luke had attempted to infiltrate the sith and pose as switching to the dark side in order to get close to Palpatine and assassinate him. He failed in his attempt to assassinate Palpatine and Palpatine turned him to the dark side, it was Leia who brought him back.

Trying to align the EU with Disney's movies it seems Rey is somewhat of an amalgamation of Leia and her daughter Jaina, with Ben being largely Jaycen, although not sure where the Vadar worship thing came from.

When you look at the EU, it had a lot of prominent and powerful female characters, they would have got a lot less blowback if they said they just followed the EU storyline and dressed it up better for an action movie than try and create their own version.

It would have been great to see jedi master Mara Jade Skywalker (who married luke) and took Jaina as her apprentice until she achieved the rank of Jedi Knight. We went from return of the jedi where there was basically no jedi to the first disney movie where there were basically no jedi and a lot happened in between and would have made for some good movies imo.

I do agree that for young people if they didn't know anything much about Star Wars, the latest movie had a lot of action and on the surface was entertaining and I guess that is all that matters if you just want some entertainment. The only thing I really regret is the missed opportunity to have it be more than it is, to be on the same pedestal as the original movies.

, after probing the future he determined that if he didn't
I miss reading about Thrawn, the Imperial Remanent and the Fel Empire.

I miss reading about Thrawn, the Imperial Remanent and the Fel Empire.

Kathleen Kennedy saying there wasn't material for them to have made better movies like Marvel had access to was complete bullshit. She is just a shitty producer.

I think the only hope of the franchise is to basically reboot it. I think it was telling that Benioff and Weiss walked away from Disney to do low budget HBO spinoffs of Game of Thrones than have to try and resuscitate this IP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kathleen Kennedy saying there wasn't material for them to have made better movies like Marvel had access to was complete bullshit. She is just a shitty producer.

I think the only hope of the franchise is to basically reboot it. I think it was telling that Benioff and Weiss walked away from Disney to do low budget HBO spinoffs of Game of Thrones than have to try and resuscitate this IP.

I think this quote has been misinterpreted a fair amount. I think KK has failed at her main job, managing the SW movies including the hiring and running of the creative team but in this quote she was correct in saying there were not pre-written stories or books that were a blueprint for what comes next as official canon. The EU was never an official part of canon, as Lucas didn't really like them. They were endorsed by Lucasfilm. That is why they kinda went all over the place depending on which writer.

I think this quote has been misinterpreted a fair amount. I think KK has failed at her main job, managing the SW movies including the hiring and running of the creative team but in this quote she was correct in saying there were not pre-written stories or books that were a blueprint for what comes next as official canon. The EU was never an official part of canon, as Lucas didn't really like them. They were endorsed by Lucasfilm. That is why they kinda went all over the place depending on which writer.
There was a lot of good old EU, but there was a lot of silly/nonsense old EU stories.

ie:IG-88 in the second Death Star. Admiral Daala as Tarkin’s mistress.

There was a lot of good old EU, but there was a lot of silly/nonsense old EU stories.

ie:IG-88 in the second Death Star. Admiral Daala as Tarkin’s mistress.

I liked a lot of them but they weren’t timeless unless you recast the Skywalkers. Taking bits from here or there is a great way to mine them rather than entire storyline’s.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It wasn't official canon but Lucas pretty much had control over what happened with his IP, until he sold it. I agree that there was good and not so good parts of the EU and you would never take that all in verbatim and just try and follow everything; books, comics, cartoons, etc do not translate directly to movies.

However, Marvel didn't do that either, there was a lot of s**t comic material that they ignored for the movies. I think Disney just lacked someone like Kevin Feige, who is going to be working on a Star Wars movie for Disney, but someone like him needs to be the producer of the entire IP, you can't allow what KK did and have different directors go different routes with the stories. There is nobody at Disney controlling the Star Wars story or legacy. It is probably why Weiss and Benioff bailed. I don't think you can be in a boat with 20 different people pulling oars out of sync, it is just going to go nowhere.

It wasn't official canon but Lucas pretty much had control over what happened with his IP, until he sold it. I agree that there was good and not so good parts of the EU and you would never take that all in verbatim and just try and follow everything; books, comics, cartoons, etc do not translate directly to movies.

However, Marvel didn't do that either, there was a lot of s**t comic material that they ignored for the movies. I think Disney just lacked someone like Kevin Feige, who is going to be working on a Star Wars movie for Disney, but someone like him needs to be the producer of the entire IP, you can't allow what KK did and have different directors go different routes with the stories. There is nobody at Disney controlling the Star Wars story or legacy. It is probably why Weiss and Benioff bailed. I don't think you can be in a boat with 20 different people pulling oars out of sync, it is just going to go nowhere.
The thing is, though, Star Wars had all the inconsistency and crapness you’d ever see when Lucas ran things - even more than across this final trilogy. None of it ever came close to the magic of the original and the first sequel. So you’d need a single guiding hand who was also a much better judge of the material than we’ve seen. Parts of TFA and this last instalment have at least delivered an emotional link to the original - derivative, but that works better for me than the utter confusion of the prequels. Maybe not all they could have been, but I think they work.

Nailed it. Well done

Never seen a Star Wars movie - any of them BFNAAK?

R2D2 has similar colours

Slow paced, but always played consistently at the highest level. Surprisingly overlooked with the second pick.

The thing is, though, Star Wars had all the inconsistency and crapness you’d ever see when Lucas ran things - even more than across this final trilogy. None of it ever came close to the magic of the original and the first sequel. So you’d need a single guiding hand who was also a much better judge of the material than we’ve seen. Parts of TFA and this last instalment have at least delivered an emotional link to the original - derivative, but that works better for me than the utter confusion of the prequels. Maybe not all they could have been, but I think they work.

I agree, I enjoyed the latest movie for what it was, I don't really go into a JJ Abrams movie expecting something I know I am not going to get and in that regard I wasn't disappointed. Some of my posting in this thread is tongue-in-cheek to rile up other Star Wars nerds like myself.

I don't think I ever expected Lucas or others to recreate what they were able to do with A New Hope, that is generally how it goes with movies and sequels, it is difficult to recapture that lightning in a bottle, if it was something simple to do we wouldn't have such a poor strike rate with classic movies and sequels.

During Christmas the movie came up in discussions, my nephew saw it and wasn't happy and I knew he wouldn't have knowing him, but I did recommend it to some other family members who I knew didn't really care much about the lore. I guess to some degree I wish the next generation had the opportunity to experience what we got from A New Hope, who knows, perhaps they did, perhaps the things I like are just relics of a bygone era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back