Past #3 Dylan Stephens

12SyGW20DC0774.JPG

Dylan Stephens
The Sydney Swans used their first pick five since Jarrad McVeigh in 2002 to lock in a talented midfielder from South Australian club Norwood at the 2019 AFL Draft. Dylan Stephens is a prolific ball-winner and creative user of the footy by hand and foot. He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with All Australian honours. He also played some excellent football at senior level with Norwood, averaging 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches. Stephens enjoyed a breakout season for the Bloods in 2020 with a memorable AFL debut in Round 6 against Richmond alongside fellow debutant, Chad Warner. Stephens finished the campaign with eight appearances, averaging 12.5 disposals and 3.4 marks per game, while also kicking two goals.

Dylan Stephens
DOB: 08 January 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #5, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Red Cliffs (Vic)/Walkerville (SA)/St Peter's College (SA)/Norwood (SANFL)

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Little trainging atm, boys helping Buddy rebuild his house.

I heard all the new draftees are at Buddy's house. They are all there when not training. Buddy has them doing important jobs like mowing the lawn, cleaning the toilet, washing the dishes and being a foot rest for Buddy when he is resting on the couch watching TV

elastic

Cometh the moment
Jul 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I heard all the new draftees are at Buddy's house. They are all there when not training. Buddy has them doing important jobs like mowing the lawn, cleaning the toilet, washing the dishes and being a foot rest for Buddy when he is resting on the couch watching TV
It's great to see he's taking his new leadership role seriously.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Just a gut feeling...like i said happy to be wrong and its very early but to me he appeare to be very reserved and doesnt seem sure of himself/confident

I see what you say.
I think he will be a guy who takes 2-3 pre-seasons and 40-50 games before he really gets going at AFL level.
But once he gets to 21-22 he should be flying.

How is anyone supposed to have any insight about him when at most he has trained about a fortnight with the club?

No need to think about Dreamteam rookies until March, chill.

Wet Blanket on...

#SparkofHope

Probably the least ideal game for a player like Stephens to debut in. Wet, scrappy, defensive and stagnant. The type of game you imagine in a few years time Stephens himself could've possibly lit the spark required in. That being considered, he looked good at the level.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
As a 19 year old first gamer, didn't look out of place, found the ball a bit and did a couple of nice things. As much as you can reasonably expect IMO. Should only grow from here.

Precisely my thoughts. Showed some signs that he's well suited to seniors and he found the ball particularly well in the first half. Good scope to improve throughout the year.

Back