Division 1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Lock them in for 10 flags in a row in the Southern league

Maybe. Maybe not. Somebody has to go first. There’s a lot of scope for major expansion of the SFL. Seaford, Frankston (SFL already has a club there), Langwarrin, Cranbourne, Narre Warren (SFL now has Narre South), Beaconsfield, Pakenham. They’re all outer suburbs and who knows how things could look in ten years.

AFLVIC

Cancelled
Dec 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe. Maybe not. Somebody has to go first. There’s a lot of scope for major expansion of the SFL. Seaford, Frankston (SFL already has a club there), Langwarrin, Cranbourne, Narre Warren (SFL now has Narre South), Beaconsfield, Pakenham. They’re all outer suburbs and who knows how things could look in ten years.
Scope for major expansion in the SFNL,you must be kidding yourself mate,we at AFLVIC would love too shut that competition down completely.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Scope for major expansion in the SFNL,you must be kidding yourself mate,we at AFLVIC would love too shut that competition down completely.

don’t think it deserves to be shut down. First two divisions are great.

Billy the Lid

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
don’t think it deserves to be shut down. First two divisions are great.
A balanced view - I’m an SFNL follower but the comp has a long way to go before any division can be classed as “great”. Few genuine stars in the comp, falls away after the best 5 or 6 players, very poor buy in towards the U19s and often a big disparity between the top 3 or 4 teams and the rest. And after a period of genuine improvement I reckon the standard has levelled off and even perhaps gone backward the last couple of seasons.

In consecutive days last year I went and watched the SFLNL Div. 1 GF and then the VAFA Premier div. GF. Conservative estimate was that the VAFA premiers would have beaten Dingley by 25 – 30 goals. Berwick, Narre and Beacy would absolutely slaughter any SFNL team.

Comp has huge scope for growth but standard needs to improve before introducing big clubs such as Berwick etc.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A balanced view - I’m an SFNL follower but the comp has a long way to go before any division can be classed as “great”. Few genuine stars in the comp, falls away after the best 5 or 6 players, very poor buy in towards the U19s and often a big disparity between the top 3 or 4 teams and the rest. And after a period of genuine improvement I reckon the standard has levelled off and even perhaps gone backward the last couple of seasons.

In consecutive days last year I went and watched the SFLNL Div. 1 GF and then the VAFA Premier div. GF. Conservative estimate was that the VAFA premiers would have beaten Dingley by 25 – 30 goals. Berwick, Narre and Beacy would absolutely slaughter any SFNL team.

Comp has huge scope for growth but standard needs to improve before introducing big clubs such as Berwick etc.

totally agree, the league is miles off when comparing to VAFA and EFL but in terms of competitiveness within the division - 1 and 2 go alright. More so just wanted to reply about it being shut down completely. The league needs to fix the lower end before it fixes division 1.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
totally agree, the league is miles off when comparing to VAFA and EFL but in terms of competitiveness within the division - 1 and 2 go alright. More so just wanted to reply about it being shut down completely. The league needs to fix the lower end before it fixes division 1.

Same in the EFNL,as far I am concerned the No.1 priority is the 3 bottom clubs in D4 being Kilsyth ,Croydon North and Nunawading being competitive against the other clubs in D4,not bringing clubs like Berwick into our competition.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

I doubt it’d be 25 - 30 goals but I hear what you’re saying.

As for Berwick, I don’t think they’d be too competitive in VAFA Premier or EFL Premier unless they recruited pretty hard. They have enough to win their current league but that’s a long way off.

I think the SFL’s problem has been a lack of expansion over the years which has meant newer, stronger clubs in growth areas haven’t been there replace those that have naturally fallen away. Their problem is they’re so heavily bordered (and in fact somewhat invaded) by the MPNFL, EFL and the old SEFL. If that weren’t the case, a true Southern premier Division would be extremely strong.

Billyhunt69

Debutant
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I doubt it’d be 25 - 30 goals but I hear what you’re saying.

As for Berwick, I don’t think they’d be too competitive in VAFA Premier or EFL Premier unless they recruited pretty hard. They have enough to win their current league but that’s a long way off.

I think the SFL’s problem has been a lack of expansion over the years which has meant newer, stronger clubs in growth areas haven’t been there replace those that have naturally fallen away. Their problem is they’re so heavily bordered (and in fact somewhat invaded) by the MPNFL, EFL and the old SEFL. If that weren’t the case, a true Southern premier Division would be extremely strong.
22 1 point players in this years grand final side plenty of room in that area for recruiting

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon

I’ve seen a bit of the sfnl the last few years. Dingley as a whole would be a middle of the pack div 1 team at the moment At best. They have a few players that would be walk up starts in a premier div team. That noodles is a gun and they have a good full back

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lowey33

Debutant
Apr 21, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hello boys! Been absent for a while...yes can confirm I’ve put my hand up, but it’s a bit compromised at the minute as I’m working nights in sale at the minute...hence the ridiculous time for this post. I won’t speak about upper right now, rather talk Berwick. The problem I see those clubs coming into EFNL has nothing to do with footy but the N part of the name. I’ve got a mate from baseball(not hitman) who’s son plays at Narre, and they are reluctant to move to the efl because of the netball component of the company. They are a ‘country’ club and they’ve always had the netball played in conjunction with the footy on a Saturday, and they don’t want to change that. Probably something that could be a future consideration for the EFNL to ponder going forward. I know I’d love to have netballers hanging around after games on Saturday nights! As for them going into premier div, wait to see what happens I guess. Time will tell.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Hello boys! Been absent for a while...yes can confirm I’ve put my hand up, but it’s a bit compromised at the minute as I’m working nights in sale at the minute...hence the ridiculous time for this post. I won’t speak about upper right now, rather talk Berwick. The problem I see those clubs coming into EFNL has nothing to do with footy but the N part of the name. I’ve got a mate from baseball(not hitman) who’s son plays at Narre, and they are reluctant to move to the efl because of the netball component of the company. They are a ‘country’ club and they’ve always had the netball played in conjunction with the footy on a Saturday, and they don’t want to change that. Probably something that could be a future consideration for the EFNL to ponder going forward. I know I’d love to have netballers hanging around after games on Saturday nights! As for them going into premier div, wait to see what happens I guess. Time will tell.

Pretty simple issue unfortunately... very few metro grounds have netball courts.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I do remember playing at Mitcham many years ago when the Netball girls played on the court at the southern end of the Grandstand.
Quite distracting at times.

Really the newly redeveloped facilties at the MCG of East we might be able to get netball courts back in that area if you are interested in watching the girls play more then the boys,lol

Lowdown

Debutant
Mar 9, 2011
Ferntree gully
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bloke rang sen today and said that East Ringwood had gone into administration. Assuming this ding dong from the bass coast still assumed the maroondah club is combined with east. Brother works for maroondah council and confirmed maroondah club in hands of administrators. What does this mean for the whole complex? Will it affect the footy and cricket clubs at all?

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
As far as I know Lowie the footy club doesn't get any money from them, not sure about the cricket club.
At least if it is in administration there is a chance it's results can be turned around.

Noodles Magee

Senior List
Aug 14, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bloke rang sen today and said that East Ringwood had gone into administration. Assuming this ding dong from the bass coast still assumed the maroondah club is combined with east. Brother works for maroondah council and confirmed maroondah club in hands of administrators. What does this mean for the whole complex? Will it affect the footy and cricket clubs at all?
None whatsoever. Have been independent from MC for some time.

Lowey33

Debutant
Apr 21, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
been quiet in 1st div so I thought I'd leave this here......
Screenshot_20210408-125520_Facebook.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back