EPL Matchday 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow. What happened here? I had to do something around 77 minutes when City led 2-1 and now they’re about to lose.
Played most of the game with 10 men. Even at 0-2 we were hanging on a bit.

It says nothing of the sort.

There isnt supposed to be a retake if the penalty is missed and an attacking player encroaches.

but if the defender encroaches these is a retake. Which takes precedence? Obviously the interpretation is the player that influences the play is taken to be the primary person

but if the defender encroaches these is a retake. Which takes precedence? Obviously the interpretation is the player that influences the play is taken to be the primary person

They both cancel each other out is what usually happens. Very surprised that VAR got involved in that one as both te encroaching attacking / defending players challenged for the ball. Should have been left alone.

Well the title was already over for me, we’ve just reached the stage now where even if City win all their remaining games (which they won’t) Liverpool would still get over the line. Procession for them now, which is a great place to be.

Well the title was already over for me, we’ve just reached the stage now where even if City win all their remaining games (which they won’t) Liverpool would still get over the line. Procession for them now, which is a great place to be.
For us it's all about getting enough wins to get 2nd. But to make sure we find the form/fitness to do well in the cups.

League wasn't going to happen regardless of today. But we need to get a level of consistency back.

They both cancel each other out is what usually happens. Very surprised that VAR got involved in that one as both te encroaching attacking / defending players challenged for the ball. Should have been left alone.
So you think if an attacker encroached on the other side of the penalty area (10 meters away thus having no impact on play), and a defender also encroached who then managed to clear the ball just in front of another non encroaching attacker it should be play on???

Title race is dead but wolves very much in the discussion for a CL spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you think if an attacker encroached on the other side of the penalty area (10 meters away thus having no impact on play), and a defender also encroached who then managed to clear the ball just in front of another non encroaching attacker it should be play on???

The official rule states that the pen should not be retaken if an atracker encroaches and it is missed. There is nothing about the position of players in the official FIFA rule.

So for me if both attacking and defending players encroach and Atkinson lets it go originally (rightly IMO) I think it's fair to suggest that VAR shouldnt be intervening.

Yep, if City finish out the season with 16 wins and 3 draw, so stupidly consistent, they would end up on 90 points. To catch that, Liverpool would need 39 points to beat it from 20 league fixtures remaining or 13 wins and 7 losses.

Title race is dead but wolves very much in the discussion for a CL spot
4th place looks very competitive at the moment. Can’t see City or Leicester being dragged into a CL fight though. It’s exciting for teams involved in it - especially for those who’ve never or rarely qualify for the CL, but it’s a poor substitute for a title race for the neutral

Geez I hope they're not thinking that way

4th place looks very competitive at the moment. Can’t see City or Leicester being dragd into a CL fight though. It’s exciting for teams involved in it - especially for those who’ve never or rarely qualify for the CL, but it’s a poor substitute for a title race for the neutral

Worrying times for Leicester. Beaten convincingly by both their title race rivals and dropped points at home to Norwich. Need to bounce back over the next few games otherwise their season could unravel. 4th spot wide open.

Last edited:
Geez I hope they're not thinking that way
They won’t be, Klopp is too astute to let that mentality persist outwardly to a large degree. But in the back of their minds it will be only natural for them to be thinking this is as good as done now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back