List Mgmt. Your clubs 25 and under team

Remove this Banner Ad

B: Martin Gleeson - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Adam Saad
HB: Mason Redman - Aaron Francis - Conor McKenna
C: Andrew McGrath (vc) - Mitchell Hibberd - Tom Cutler
HF: Jake Stringer - Joe Daniher - Jayden Laverde
F: Orazio Fantasia - James Stewart - Irving Mosquito
R: Sam Draper - Darcy Parish - Zach Merrett (c)
I/C: Kyle Langford - Will Snelling - Matt Guelfi - Dylan Clarke

EMG: Brayden Ham - Jordan Ridley - Josh Begley - Kobe Mutch

Extremely thin on high value positions (KPF, KPD and mids)

Interesting you should say that. Most of our younger players have not been given the same AFL game time as they would have in other clubs. THe competition for spots is just too fierce. What we do have the luxury of is allowing these players time to develop and build confidence at VFL level. These players are not any less talented than those at other clubs, in fact given our track record recently with finding hidden gems and developing, I would predict that many would exceed expectations.

Ross, RCD, Graham, Higgins and Stack are all proven midfielders already but are all 20 or younger. Stack, Ross and Graham in particular, could all be elite midfielders moving forward. RCD is developing and was impressive in the VFL Grand Final.

Garthwaite would be in our backline (and in the backline of many other teams) if it wasn't so strong already. When you have Grimes and Astbury to compete with for spots, it makes it incredibly hard to play. What he did do is play as the Full Back in the VFL Premiership team. He couldn't have done more. At the other end CCJ could be anything. He really is a talent given his size, marking capability, agility but again, opposition supporters have not seen him because he has been developing at VFL level.

I think you would be unwise to underestimate our youth just because you haven't seen them yet. They are developing nicely at VFL level (as evidenced by their VFL flag) but to play in the current Richmond side you need to be better than someone in that Premiership team first.

Dogs mids easily the best but keen to see how we stack up with our big 4 LDU Simpkin Thomas and Bonar
LDU is barely AFL standard, Simpkin is an ordinary AFL player, Thomas is young and all potential, Bonar won’t make it.

Bont is a top five mid in the comp, Macrae is a top ten mid in the comp, Dunkley is a top fifteen mid in the comp.

Fair to say you’re miles off.

LDU is barely AFL standard, Simpkin is an ordinary AFL player, Thomas is young and all potential, Bonar won’t make it.

Bont is a top five mid in the comp, Macrae is a top ten mid in the comp, Dunkley is a top fifteen mid in the comp.

Fair to say you’re miles off.
Incredibly poor analysis of our mids who have played only 1-3 years so far

Like I said dogs under 25 mids are ahead now due to obvious reasons of being more seasoned but that will change over time. Those bulldogs mids under 25 are their best mids right now

we have Higgins Cunnington and Ziebell as the nucleus now with the upcoming big 4 young talent

Incredibly poor analysis of our mids who have played only 1-3 years so far

Like I said dogs under 25 mids are ahead now due to obvious reasons of being more seasoned but that will change over time. Those bulldogs mids under 25 are their best mids right now

we have Higgins Cunnington and Ziebell as the nucleus now with the upcoming big 4 young talent

Ok but then throw in Lipinski and Bailey Smith.....

Hard to argue against the Dogs young mids.

Dogs young KPPs still a bit unknown (besides Naughton) which is why they have introduced mature players Bruce, Keath and Trengove.

Ok but then throw in Lipinski and Bailey Smith.....

Hard to argue against the Dogs young mids.

Dogs young KPPs still a bit unknown (besides Naughton) which is why they have introduced mature players Bruce, Keath and Trengove.
I’m not saying the dogs arent

I’m saying we will be right up there with them

What would have been a fourteenth medal just walked off to St Kilda along with Dan Butler. And good luck to him.

If this side doesn't look daunting on paper in comparison to the equivalents elsewhere, it's probably because so many of the above are stuck in the VFL (premiership finally won there this year though), not through lack of potential or effort, but for long-term development and from a lack of senior opportunities.

I'd probably rate Turner and Markov at the bottom of this 22, yet both could conceivably find an AFL spot elsewhere, were they moved on. The reality is, some will have to be delisted at some stage.

While, the young Dogs are very good (the WB should make top four next year), the Tiger cubs are quite possibly even better. Many will disagree with this assessment, no doubt, and feel inclined to say so quickly.

That's fine. Time will tell. Eventually. I've been around long enough to see things fall apart. Often. The current Punt Rd list management is different, however. If it can be kept up, look out. I see shades of '67 - '80.

Without the open cheque-book.
scary thing is this richmond side is scarily similar to Geelong of 2007-2011

FB Roarke Smith, Lewis Young, Bailey Williams
HB Caleb Daniel, Zaine Cordy, Lachlan Young
C Ed Richards, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Hunter
HF Pat Lipinski, Aaron Naughton, Toby McClean
FF Bailey Dale, Josh Schache, Riley West
FOL Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae
INT Billy Gowers, Bailey Smith, Will Hayes, Cody Weightman
EMG Brad Lynch, Fergus Greene, Ryan Gardiner

Pretty Strong, especially through the midfield. Smaller defenders the biggest weakness. All except Weightman have played at AFL level.
I'd say this line up wins. Sydney have put together a pretty handy under 22 or so there as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting you should say that. Most of our younger players have not been given the same AFL game time as they would have in other clubs. THe competition for spots is just too fierce. What we do have the luxury of is allowing these players time to develop and build confidence at VFL level. These players are not any less talented than those at other clubs, in fact given our track record recently with finding hidden gems and developing, I would predict that many would exceed expectations.

Ross, RCD, Graham, Higgins and Stack are all proven midfielders already but are all 20 or younger. Stack, Ross and Graham in particular, could all be elite midfielders moving forward. RCD is developing and was impressive in the VFL Grand Final.

Garthwaite would be in our backline (and in the backline of many other teams) if it wasn't so strong already. When you have Grimes and Astbury to compete with for spots, it makes it incredibly hard to play. What he did do is play as the Full Back in the VFL Premiership team. He couldn't have done more. At the other end CCJ could be anything. He really is a talent given his size, marking capability, agility but again, opposition supporters have not seen him because he has been developing at VFL level.

I think you would be unwise to underestimate our youth just because you haven't seen them yet. They are developing nicely at VFL level (as evidenced by their VFL flag) but to play in the current Richmond side you need to be better than someone in that Premiership team first.
‘Proven” is a bit much for guys who haven’t stepped onto an afl field.

Not bad. I've gone a bit more conventional in defence. Like most of these, the KPP and rucks are a bit light on.

B: Hardwick, Koschitzke, Jiath
HB: Impey, Sicily, Scrimshaw
C: Morrison, Howe, Glass
HF: Walker, O'Brien, Nash
F: Hanrahan, Lewis, Moore
R: Reeves, O'Meara, Worpel
IC: Maginness, Cousins, Ross, Golds

Greaves, Day, Jeka and Morris miss out. Based on footywire, which doesn't have Jones for some reason.
Good job. That’s probably our starting back 6 in 18 months.

kosi will take a little time.

If the club can keep Callum Coleman-Jones as he continues to develop, the long-term possibility of him teaming with Lynch is tantalising to say the least.

I can think of no current backline with two sufficiently tall and mobile key defenders to handle that. Add in all the exciting young small forwards and the possibility of Riewoldt playing up the ground in a year or two is not out of the question.

But we shouldn't talk of Coleman-Jones. He's rubbish and no other club could possibly want him. It's all the system. Richmond has no talent worth poaching.

Repeat the last paragraph ad nauseam and cross fingers in hope that nobody notices...

B: Vlastuin - Garthwaite - Short
HB: Stack - Balta - Baker
C: McIntosh - Ross - Naish
HF: Higgins - Chol - Bolton
F: Rioli - CCJ - Castagna
R: Nank - RCD - Graham
I/C: Soldo - Eggy - Turner - Markov

Not a bad side. 13 premiership medals in that

All of the bolded are things Hawks supporters could've said a couple of years ago, and probably did.

In the last game of 2017, we had 12 premiership players running around. We won 10 games that year. And Box Hill has won a couple of flags from a bunch of finals appearances over the last several years, but we missed finals this year. When your club is up and about, it's tempting to think you'll just continue on your merry way. But we couldn't just instantly replace those gun players we lost to retirement, and I think you'll find Richmond is the same.

Best youth in order:

Bulldogs
GWS
Gold Coast
Brisbane
Sydney
Richmond
Fremantle
Melbourne
Port Adelaide
St Kilda
Carlton
Adelaide
Collingwood
Essendon
Geelong
North Melbourne
Hawthorn
West Coast

All of the bolded are things Hawks supporters could've said a couple of years ago, and probably did.

In the last game of 2017, we had 12 premiership players running around. We won 10 games that year. And Box Hill has won a couple of flags from a bunch of finals appearances over the last several years, but we missed finals this year. When your club is up and about, it's tempting to think you'll just continue on your merry way. But we couldn't just instantly replace those gun players we lost to retirement, and I think you'll find Richmond is the same.
Yes, it could all end very quickly. Yet, the cautionary comparison lacks the simple rider that Hawthorn's list management in their recent dominant era was rather different than Richmond's current management to say the least. Indeed, too different to be a reliable guide to the development of younger players at Punt Rd now. Hawthorn was heavily invested in ready-made reinforcements at the end. It was at the very beginning of their initial rise when the Hawks drafted key talent.

Richmond did likewise. And it took a long time to reach fruition. By the beginning of 2016, I thought the club was ready to replace Hawthorn at the top. Instead, they needed another year and a few reinforcements of their own to put a premiership into obvious potential.

I look at the current crop and I see some similar signs. That is no guarantee of future success certainly, but it sure beats being gloomy.

B: Martin Gleeson - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Adam Saad
HB: Mason Redman - Aaron Francis - Conor McKenna
C: Andrew McGrath (vc) - Mitchell Hibberd - Tom Cutler
HF: Jake Stringer - Joe Daniher - Jayden Laverde
F: Orazio Fantasia - James Stewart - Irving Mosquito
R: Sam Draper - Darcy Parish - Zach Merrett (c)
I/C: Kyle Langford - Will Snelling - Matt Guelfi - Dylan Clarke

EMG: Brayden Ham - Jordan Ridley - Josh Begley - Kobe Mutch
I really like this team. 3 All-Australians, 1 Rising Star and a bunch of players that have shown a lot. Can't wait to see Zerk-Thatcher take over the reigns at full back. Go Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back