FTA-TV Game of Thrones - season 8

Remove this Banner Ad

It wouldn't have been too bad if they actually gave the NK any sort of back story or reason for being big bad
I loved the mystery surrounding the WW in the early seasons, not actually knowing who they are or what their motivations were was really intriguing. It was a massive screw up on the writers part that they didn't go into depth in the last couple of seasons.

Instead all we got was 'the NK wants to kill Bran and wipe away the memories of human history'. That was it, NK is killed and the show falls off a cliff.

Just caught up with Season 8 and I absolutely loved it. It panned out the way I always thought it would from the early seasons, and it was told very intelligently. Episodes 4-6 were largely excellent (although those time jumps to the Euron sea battle and then arriving at Kings Landing feel very abrupt, but I guess they had to rush the travel by now). Episode 4 (The Last of the Starks) which starts with the post-WW funeral and ends with the beheading is particularly well constructed.

Not every show stays consistently excellent and goes out like that. Game of Thrones did for me. Bravo!

Last edited:
Just caught up with Season 8 and I absolutely loved it. It panned out the way I always thought it would from the early seasons, and it was told very intelligently. Episodes 4-6 were largely excellent (although those time jumps to the Euron sea battle and then arriving at Kings Landing feel very abrupt, but I guess they had to rush the travel by now).

Not every show stays consistently excellent and goes out like that. Game of Thrones did for me. Bravo!
Sarcasm surely.

Sarcasm surely.
I don't really understand the web reaction. Maybe a lot of fanboys were invested in certain outcomes which didn't transpire or something? (a bit like with Star Wars atm). I felt like the problem of Jon (his naivety, popularity and blood secret) and how it rippled throughout subsequent character choices in the 4th episode, especially Sansa and Varys, was brilliant. It really ended exactly the way I wanted it to, that to me was what GoT was all about. Dany was always set up from the early seasons for this tragic turn at the very end, and the ground level perspective in the penultimate episode underlined this in such chilling beauty. Seeing the last few episodes rated as some of the worst in the entire series is complete madness to me. Sad reality of a show that attracts viewers of all kinds, from the discerning like myself who enjoy the palace intrigue and historical erudition of a show working with many layers, and those who just rock up for some spectacle, nudity, undead, swashbuckler, memes, etc. or to team a particular character/house.

This entitled ownership of fans is like a kind of plague. I feel sorry for those who get sucked in by such empty pedantic backlash. I guess some of the biggest properties can accumulate some of the most wrongheaded fans.

Last edited:
I don't really get the Alfie Allen Emmy nom though. Maybe in some of the earlier seasons, but I don't feel like he had enough material in those 3 episodes to really earn a nomination, although I guess a few of them were always going to be gifted 'lifetime' nominations.

I don't really understand the web reaction. Maybe a lot of fanboys were invested in certain outcomes which didn't transpire or something? (a bit like with Star Wars atm). I felt like the problem of Jon (his naivety, popularity and blood secret) and how it rippled throughout subsequent character choices in the 4th episode, especially Sansa and Varys, was brilliant. It really ended exactly the way I wanted it to, that to me was what GoT was all about. Dany was always set up from the early seasons for this tragic turn at the very end, and the ground level perspective in the penultimate episode underlined this in such chilling beauty. Seeing the last few episodes rated as some of the worst in the entire series is complete madness to me. Sad reality of a show that attracts viewers of all kinds, from the discerning like myself who enjoy the palace intrigue and historical erudition of a show working with many layers, and those who just rock up for some spectacle, nudity, undead, swashbuckler, memes, etc. or to team a particular character/house.

This entitled ownership of fans is like a kind of plague. I feel sorry for those who get sucked in by such empty pedantic backlash. I guess some of the biggest properties can accumulate some of the most wrongheaded fans.
It largely wasnt what happened but how it was so poorly written and directed and about all the ridiculous plot holes that became necessary to keep it all going and all the cliches.

Read an article on season eight or some of the you tube video reviews. Plenty are linked in this thread. The best thing about season eight was actually the you tube videos reviewing it. Some are absolutely hilarious and will have you rolling on the floor.

Last edited:
It largely wasnt what happened but how it was so poorly written and directed and about all the ridiculous plot holes that became necessary to keep it all going and all the cliches.

Read an article on season eight or some of the you tube video reviews. Plenty are linked in this thread. The best thing about season eight was actually the you tube videos reviewing it. Some are absolutely hilarious and will have rolling on the floor.
I actually have to completely disagree. The telling is what made this season beautiful, even more than what happened. I had a fair idea of what would happen, and I still found myself completely engrossed and impressed by how it was communicated.

Claiming something is poorly written and directed, has ridiculous plot holes by necessity and all the cliches, probably requires a bit of evidence. It was one of the highest quality TV seasons I saw in 2019. Cramming everything into 6 episodes was certainly a challenge, and drawing near the end it naturally closes in on particular characters and stops introducing new faces and/or most people have died. I felt most of the character arcs were well handled and the themes resonant and thoughtful.

Youtube reviews are trash (one of the biggest scourges on this forum), and most web articles feed on clickbait (negativity) and rumourmill nowadays. The important thing is to be able to think for yourself and process the various information sources available in a critical fashion. Just because something has the loud reputation of a disappointment does not necessarily make it so.

Last edited:
I had a brother who died half a decade ago around the time of S4, and I remember we used to both agree that Dany would turn bad at the very end (in a sad & preventable but inevitable way) and we both felt that Bran would outlast them all and probably get the throne in some way.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone who has "just caught up on S08" a whole six months after it aired probably shouldn't be given too much credence.
Sarcasm surely. If you think waiting until xmas season to binge denies someone's analytic credibility, then there is no hope for you. Like, why even bother catching up with shows from the 90s & 2000s if that's your zealous attitude.

Last edited:
Remember how we thought all the Dothraki and Unsullied and the entire army of the North had all been wiped out and then it turned out they'd barely been touched? What was the whole point of the Night King anway?

I actually have to completely disagree. The telling is what made this season beautiful, even more than what happened. I had a fair idea of what would happen, and I still found myself completely engrossed and impressed by how it was communicated.

Claiming something is poorly written and directed, has ridiculous plot holes by necessity and all the cliches, probably requires a bit of evidence. It was one of the highest quality TV seasons I saw in 2019. Cramming everything into 6 episodes was certainly a challenge, and drawing near the end it naturally closes in on particular characters and stops introducing new faces and/or most people have died. I felt most of the character arcs were well handled and the themes resonant and thoughtful.

Youtube reviews are trash (one of the biggest scourges on this forum), and most web articles feed on clickbait (negativity) and rumourmill nowadays. The important thing is to be able to think for yourself and process the various information sources available in a critical fashion. Just because something has the loud reputation of a disappointment does not necessarily make it so.
The amount of plot holes increased significantly in this last season. The amount of story arcs that were completely ignored or abandoned was significant (R=L+J, White Walkers back story, reason for spiral symbols if they were just mindless zombies, Three Eyed Raven being completely inconsistent, the list goes on and on and on). That this doesn't seem to bother you leads me to suspect you were a fairly casual viewer of Game of Thrones, the fact that you waited 6 months to watch it also leads me to the same conclusion.

That's fine, everyone can view TV shows however they like. But you should understand that you are in the minority and you are trying to tell the majority that we are wrong and you are right and the last season was great. In my opinion it was awful and if you got over you preconceptions about Youtube being trash and watched some of the indepth reviews they explain in great detail where the show fell down from a story board/plot perspective.

But to each their own.

The amount of plot holes increased significantly in this last season. The amount of story arcs that were completely ignored or abandoned was significant (R=L+J, White Walkers back story, reason for spiral symbols if they were just mindless zombies, Three Eyed Raven being completely inconsistent, the list goes on and on and on). That this doesn't seem to bother you leads me to suspect you were a fairly casual viewer of Game of Thrones, the fact that you waited 6 months to watch it also leads me to the same conclusion.

That's fine, everyone can view TV shows however they like. But you should understand that you are in the minority and you are trying to tell the majority that we are wrong and you are right and the last season was great. In my opinion it was awful and if you got over you preconceptions about Youtube being trash and watched some of the indepth reviews they explain in great detail where the show fell down from a story board/plot perspective.

But to each their own.
I've never been a casual viewer of GoT (I've watched the first few seasons multiple times and have been watching since the first few episodes of S1), except for the fact I've never read the books and don't really plan to. Those points you bring up are fairly obscure to the appeal and intrigue of the show (at least for me anyway). I'm just not a week-to-week viewer, I think Breaking Bad's final season is one of the only times this decade I watched a show week-by-week. Life and other hobbies get in the way. Looking down on someone waiting a few months is just lame 'nerd cred', and a really pathetic cop-out in a mature discussion. It doesn't make your opinions more genuine or anything, if anything it reveals insecurity.

I'm not trying to say you guys are wrong at all, you are free to think it is awful or flawed, I was just defending my liking of it (maybe with a few strong words). It isn't a right or wrong thing, and I know it's not considered cool to like it on the webz, but as a quality TV drama concluding a storyline I found it admirable enough. The Wire S5 was also unfairly maligned on release even if it couldn't quite match the prior seasons.

I've watched a number of youtube reviews in my time, and whilst a few demonstrate good taste, generally in practice I don't find it a useful or particularly insightful medium for reviewers. Especially with extremely popular things like GoT. At least with a written review you can pre-scan the veracity and ideas, whereas with youtube reviews you often have to suffer a few minutes before you realise they just love the sound of their own voice and have no real new or meaningful insight to provide.

Last edited:
There is nothing pretentious about being discerning. There is nothing wrong with GoT attracting a wide range of viewers. That is why it became a phenomenon in the first place.
The pretentious bit is insinuating that discerning viewers like the ending and those of us that didn't are rednecks wanting to see ****, zombies and memes.

Them: "Star Wars fans have an unrealistically high standard. They'll never be satisfied."

Star Wars fans: watches Mandalorian Ep 8 the same week "I'm satisfied, this is great Star Wars."

Wrong thread lol.

I watched the series again for the first time since it ended.

I don't think it's the disaster people make it out to be but i won't defend anything that happened after daenerys dies, it's a full on trainwreck after that and I won't watch that ever again.

I think Jon killing her should of been one of the last things to happen.

Tie up all the story lines after the kings landing battle and than after more time passes Jon kills her and then escapes from everyone back up north.

I was a huge fan of the theory that the NK was going to sneak down to wipe out Kings Landing first and the battle against the north would be the final battle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back