Australia v New Zealand 2nd Test at the MCG December 26-30

Remove this Banner Ad

The only way this doesnt end tomorrow is if Australia bat for half the day, besides even if NZ crawl to 8/100 at stumps, is anyone going to show up day 5? It’ll be 43 degrees and nothing worth watching, if it makes it to day 5 it’ll make a shield crowd look big

The kiwis will be their. Its hot, theirs lots of piss to attack & they'll keep trying to taunt Smith.

They've got nothing else to do before the Gold Coast bus leaves.

With a player as good as smith any small edge you can find is gold.

Look at any normal batsman and compare them to Bradman’s body line numbers. He scored a fair few runs and averaged high 50s.

But did it reduce his impact? Absolutely. Anything a team can find to even slightly curb Smith’s influence is very valuable

I have no doubt that Smith will respond to the bodyline bowling because he's a bloody good batsman. But like you said, he has been nearly invincible in his test career till date. Even Kohli went through a nightmare England series when he was troubled by the ball swinging away outside the off stump against Anderson and a few other bowlers, but I don't think Smith has really been challenged by any other bowler or any style of bowling in his career. So anything that sort of works would be like liquid gold for the pacers world over attempting to get him out.

I remember him getting troubled by Rabada a bit in the past (probably the only other bowler to bother him apart from Wagner), did he face any similar issues against him in the past? Admittedly I didn't actually watch the ties between Australia and South Africa although I followed the scores.

South Africa have had our measure here of late.

Interesting looking at the Safs v Poms at centurion. It looks strangely similar to this match.

Safs lost the toss & were put in. Lost Elgar first ball!. Then rolled the poms 100 behind. Safs 4/143 in 2nd dig.

Barmy army would be in full voice. Full of shyte no doubt.;)

Makes me laugh when everyone shits on New Zealand being poor when they’ve ended up with the same result as every touring team that’s toured here since I can remember, with the exception of Bumrah
Saf have won last three series here

Bookmarked.

I reluctantly side with Eddie on this one, any cricket on day 5 is unlikely, feel free to bookmark this as well, consider:

- Australia will bat for an hour in the morning and declare.
- NZ will then need to 'survive' for about 70 overs which they haven't got anywhere near thus far this series...
- NZ may show some resistance but on a two-paced wearing day 4 pitch, against this Aus bowling attack, they will need a lot of luck!
- I doubt the Kiwis will risk further injury to Boult, so Aus will only require 9 wickets.

The only real chance this test going into day 5 is if Paine decides to 'experiment' with Head and Burns as Aus new ball bowlers, backed up by Wade and Warner, Tim may even give Wade the gloves and have a roll himself, now at least that would be entertaining...

Having said all that, I would be the first one to congratulate NZ if they somehow ended up 3-300 at stumps...

Last edited:
When was the last time Australia traveled to NZ? Would have been during the 2015 World Cup where we beat you at Eden Park.

About time Australia played a test series in NZ, you won't be looking so good over there.

The very last test series between the nations...
Of which the Aussies clean swept the series.

When was the last time Australia traveled to NZ? Would have been during the 2015 World Cup where we beat you at Eden Park.

About time Australia played a test series in NZ, you won't be looking so good over there.
We won a test series in a clean sweep in early 2016.

last time they travelled to NZ was in 2018 when they had a T20 tri-series, best remembered for when NZ couldn’t defend a total of 243

No we played a 2 test series in NZ in Feb 2016. The 1st one in Wellington we won by over an innings with Voges MOTM. The 2nd in Christchurch we won by 7 wickets with Burns MOTM.

See above.

In the tests Australia won by an innings in the 1st match and by 7 wickets in the 2nd

But hey, you won a stage game in an ODI. Good on you. Dunno how we can sleep when we have the world cup from the same tournament...
You see that series doesn’t count because of Voges being saved by an incorrect no-ball call, which excuses NZ losing by an innings in that game and by 7 wickets in the following match.

forgot about the ODIs before that series, IIRC in that 3rd game MMarsh got stitched up with NZ appealing after a replay went up on the big screen

I don't remember the times we lost, I only remember the times we win.

I'm still dining out on this great test win in Hobart.

Doug Bracewell robbed of the MOTM award.

That was back when Ch9 had that stupid viewer poll for MOTM so of course they all voted for Warner.

No wonder you couldn’t remember the last time Aus played in NZ then, NZ haven’t won a series since 1992-93 (even that was technically a draw).

and yep, bracewell not getting MOTM that game was a joke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New Zealand cricketers walking off the ground, hugging each other and celebrating as if they have done a good job. What a joke. They are getting thumped. Problem is with NZ cricket is they are soft and accept mediocrity time and time again.. They shouldn't be patting themselves on the arse as if they have won the game or are in the game.. . It's pathetic actually. They need to develop a killer instinct and accept nothing other than winning as acceptable.. Until then, they will remain irrelevant on the big stage..
Agree. The cricket fraternity treats them with kids gloves too. They are no. 2 in the world, they have objectively disgraced themselves by being 100% uncompetitive, but the coverage would make you think they were playing their first ever Test series and battling beyond their ability.

That was back when Ch9 had that stupid viewer poll for MOTM so of course they all voted for Warner.

Being real, I don't get this line of thought.

The only way you can possibly get out of a situation like this without compounding is by keeping positive, and smiling, having fun and such does that as it helps keep people engaged in the game. Sure it looks better if they're upset, but if they're upset and flustered, all that is going to happen is this situation is going to get more embarrassing for them.
Replace New Zealand with your Football team in the GF (or mine) getting spanked...

Tell me how you feel then?

This isn't Saturday morning school sports... this is professionals and their livelihood. Even more so than an AFL team, it's for a country.

I don't want any team I follow giggling and smiling while they are getting smashed.

There's plenty of logic actually.

He's played 5 Test Matches outside of Australia and been s**t in all of them bar one in New Zealand, he's had the benefit of playing crap teams in Australia and still only averages 40.

I repeat, this is about how bad Harris has performed not how good Burns has performed.

New Zealand really are the St Kilda of cricketing nations.

Replace New Zealand with your Football team in the GF (or mine) getting spanked...

Tell me how you feel then?

This isn't Saturday morning school sports... this is professionals and their livelihood. Even more so than an AFL team, it's for a country.

I don't want any team I follow giggling and smiling while they are getting smashed.
I was working in a bar at Ricjmond on the day of the 07 GF.

The Port fans that turned up after the game were pretty good and accepted they got smashed by an all time great team.

How do NZ go in South Africa?

That would require them actually traveling.

This is only their 5th away series in 3 years.

They lost 1-0 (2 test series) in 2016.

They’ve only toured there 4 times since 2000.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back