Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
On Western United, they had 5,084 at Mars Stadium for their first game in Ballarat. Looks like a lot of Kiwis have made the trip to Ballarat after boxing day. Still, not the worst number for Western United in regional Victoria

The big issue is Geelong for Western United. It is not a good base for a Melbourne team. The attendances for Geelong games in every sport(bar the Cats) have been poor this year.

i find great irony that a certain someone is complaining about name-calling when he is the worst offender in this thread.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
On Western United, they had 5,084 at Mars Stadium for their first game in Ballarat. Looks like a lot of Kiwis have made the trip to Ballarat after boxing day. Still, not the worst number for Western United in regional Victoria

The big issue is Geelong for Western United. It is not a good base for a Melbourne team. The attendances for Geelong games in every sport(bar the Cats) have been poor this year.

i find great irony that a certain someone is complaining about name-calling when he is the worst offender in this thread.
That’s not a bad effort as that would be about every single seat taken at Mars.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The big issue is Geelong for Western United.

The big issue is western united are dead on arrival. There is no coming back. They are inflating attendance numbers to 5 thousand and it is not even half way through their first season.

If there was a 15K seat stadium already sitting in , say, Sunshine they may have had a fighting chance

No, I just get under a few people's skin on this forum. For you I suspect "worst offender" can be translated to "guy who gets under my skin the most".

I am certainly not claiming purity here. I have often engaged in ad hominem and occasionally even instigated it. I have certainly not done it four times in the same discourse despite the other person not retaliating on any occasion

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
smfcmike is very much biased against the A-league and should be taken with some very large grains of salt. Try to refrain from posting it here.

Actually I posted a link to a tweet from a handle called "trna" who presciently predicted that a crowd of 5k would be announced despite it being demonstratively impossible. Ie only seated area were used and those seats were at most 2/3rds full.

More generally are you seriously moderating linking to prove because they are biased? Really?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Actually I posted a link to a tweet from a handle called "trna" who presciently predicted that a crowd of 5k would be announced despite it being demonstratively impossible. Ie only seated area were used and those seats were at most 2/3rds full.

More generally are you seriously moderating linking to prove because they are biased? Really?

I made a request,.

Im moderating this one instance based on my knowledge of the person tweeting through my extensive dealings with him elsewhere. I wouldnt allow trolls here from anyone else, what makes you think i would allow you to repost the trolling from someone else?

A very strong 35k to an epic "Sydney Smash" last night, despite familiar statements on BF's cricket board in the preceding 24 hours that the Big Bash has lost its lustre or some such nonsense. If 3 people are served 10 pizzas for dinner and they only manage to eat 2, it doesn't mean pizza is losing its popularity (but if you understand that concept then apparently you're a CA mouthpiece!).

Not really. Boxing day - a public holiday, would be sold out at any ground around Oz.

And if 25,000 poms come out for the ashes and 15,000 kiwis fly over because its the first boxing day game in 32 years, 60k on day 2 is pretty normal.
Except it wasn't New Zealand's first boxing day match in 32 years. Last season, for example, they played at home on Dec 26 in front of a whopping crowd of 4,267. And yet, somehow, the Kiwis are now suddenly interested in attending games around Christmas...

It's hard for some interstaters to choke down the truth: the MCG--the mighty modern-day coliseum, the birthplace of Test cricket, the throbbing heart of the world's sporting capital, the melting pot of man's mastery over concrete and steel with the mystical aura and beauty of heaven itself--is the main drawcard, and everything else is just the cherry on top.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I made a request,.

Im moderating this one instance based on my knowledge of the person tweeting through my extensive dealings with him elsewhere. I wouldnt allow trolls here from anyone else, what makes you think i would allow you to repost the trolling from someone else?

Well, there's logic there so fair enough....he certainly fits most definitions of "troll". I'll refrain from posting his tweets in the future

On this occassion I was more primarily trying to
Highlight trnas tweet correctly predicted a brazenly and demonstrably inflated attendance figure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
A very strong 35k to an epic "Sydney Smash" last night, despite familiar statements on BF's cricket board in the preceding 24 hours that the Big Bash has lost its lustre or some such nonsense. If 3 people are served 10 pizzas for dinner and they only manage to eat 2, it doesn't mean pizza is losing its popularity (but if you understand that concept then apparently you're a CA mouthpiece!).

Except it wasn't New Zealand's first boxing day match in 32 years. Last season, for example, they played at home on Dec 26 in front of a whopping crowd of 4,267. And yet, somehow, the Kiwis are now suddenly interested in attending games around Christmas...

It's hard for some interstaters to choke down the truth: the MCG--the mighty modern-day coliseum, the birthplace of Test cricket, the throbbing heart of the world's sporting capital, the melting pot of man's mastery over concrete and steel with the mystical aura and beauty of heaven itself--is the main drawcard, and everything else is just the cherry on top.
The game that got 1000 will knock around an avg when you have only played 15 odd games (considering it’s getting compared to a 20,000 avg the year before) plus only having played about half the games at their home grounds doesn’t help. Being down 25% doesn’t mean much this early imo.

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some very interesting reading on the Western United issue. i'm a football person and care more about the vibrancy of the sport than any one club. A-League fans however will either agree they're a shitfest or defend them to the death.

Reality is, some weird s**t is going on.

FFA clearly took the money and run, knowing a loss-maker could be a one-off cash cow before they live export it to the club owners. don't forget: the A-League does not have teams in Canberra or Wollongong while Tasmania is seen as a 'please, try it' by football fans here. there are quite literally 10 markets that are sensical and inevitable additions that have been hopped over by a team in the very vague locale of 'western.' at this stage we don't even know what its west of? not Melbourne. Victoria?

The issue with the A-League is that it was hijacked.

The Crawford Report made the following suggestions. don't forget this was government-implemented and okayed by intelligent, passionate Australian football people:
• the erasure of the National Soccer League in favour of a fully professional Australian Premier League
• the main aim of the new competition should be to advance the national team
• this is done by encouraging youth development, finally creating clear pathways from grassroots to professionalism – football never had this, unlike the unreal Auskick > junior club > TAC/WAFL colts/Teal Cup > AFL streamline
• clubs should embrace local areas and local players should be aided by the experience of a small number of overseas players, who locals can learn off in a footballing and professional sense
• 10 teams
• Sydney to be split in three (northern beaches/North Sydney, southern Sydney/Sutherland, western Sydney) and Melbourne in two (north-west and south-east)

That charlatan John O'Neill had a fixation with trying to make the new competition just like rugby union. fifteen years on and what a crock. there's no worse league to template and emulate than super *in rugby. his one-team, one-town mantra disregarded the history of the sport – abroad and in Australia, which thrives with intra-city rivalries.

The league was doomed as soon as it had a stiffy for wanting Sydney FC to be some proto-LA Galaxy, with massive crowds everywhere and shiny imports. nearly two decades on, and Dwight Yorke is still the second best marquee we've had. ask him, and the cheeky little bastard'll tell you he is the best.

The APL/A-League should have accepted its position as a platform in a relatively niche, but passionately supported game. embrace it's unique culture – ethnic backgrounds are celebrated far more in Australia now than they were in 2004. idiots. there should now be a minimum of 14 teams, all playing in small venues where there's a good atmosphere, tickets are cheap, and clubs run on smaller budgets. a good import should be someone who's played some second tier English football and can maybe make some connections with his old clubs, get a few ex-pats down to games, and teach younger players a few things.

The competition's point for players should have been comparable to the Sheffield Shield. it's not especially marketable these days, but it serves a huge purpose.

A day at the A-League should be 15 bucks to walk in, sit on a hill or behind the goals with your mates, and enjoy a nice sunny afternoon. clubs should embrace their niche market. have craft beer being sold by local breweries – people would love that, a real point of difference to the $9 mid-strengths at the MCG. get some local, and authentic, food going. souvas, gyros, raznjići, even fish and chips or chicken balti pies at the more anglo clubs. get vibrancy going where Western Sydney fans relish away trips to Cronulla (...) or up to Newcastle, instead of it being a blasé loss. each club would have its own ground too... amazing, you just don't get that anymore in Australia's professional leagues.

Now no more clubs can exist in Melbourne proper. Heart/City haven't really done much wrong, but how could they do anything right? go for a specific area and risk being too small while infringing on Victory land regardless. go the whole city and have no identity.

Pillocks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back