Current Royal Commission into Lawyer X gangland convictions on tainted evidence & police corruption

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
You don't?

What exactly do VicPol inter-political politics at head office have to do with this Royal Commission?
Because Ken Jones raised it 10 years ago and he raised it again at the RC. Silvester is giving background to that. Silvester even intimates ''Nicola Gobbo was only a small piece of the dispute, which really revolved around Overland’s leadership style.''

It fleshes out the dispute

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Simon Overland had been headhunted by Christine Nixon to become assistant commissioner crime as a new broom, and then promoted to deputy. In 2009 he was appointed the new chief.

As a publicity stunt the then premier John Brumby pinned Overland's insignia on his uniform. It was a bad look, undermining the independence of the office.

The fall out was inevitable, with claims of media leaks, dodgy statistics, witch-hunts, political appeasement and backstabbing.

Friday's hearing at the royal commission was a public airing of a decade-long, festering feud. Both men and their supporters believe they were victims. Both professionally perished from self-inflicted wounds.

Jones paid a heavy price
– never returning to full time policing. Overland was eventually forced to resign and is now unemployable in law enforcement. This week he was sacked as CEO of Whittlesea Council.

Hate to see full on damage control if this is what you think. Listen I get your pathological hatred of Silvester - he writes better than you - but you need to let it go.

He has written what most of us saw occurring. Overland was an ambitious jumped up wannabe. Gobbo was a symptom of that that reckless ambition. Overland cut corners all in the name of ''gangland wars'' . He will see his day in court

I see no damage control here.

It’s a limited hangout.

He’s ignored the content of the hearing and focusing on a minor aspect. Thus giving the impression of being critical.

There’s no reporting of the actual allegations, frames KJ’s testimony as professional rivalry and ignores the elephant in the room being that KJ alleges command acted illegally.

It’s pure deflection, so yes it is damage control in that respect.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
It’s a limited hangout.

He’s ignored the content of the hearing and focusing on a minor aspect. Thus giving the impression of being critical.

There’s no reporting of the actual allegations, frames KJ’s testimony as professional rivalry and ignores the elephant in the room being that KJ alleges command acted illegally.

It’s pure deflection, so yes it is damage control in that respect.
It's a journalist writing a story. Everything he writes doesn't need to be about Gobbo or who said what in the RC. Look at Mr Snake above - there's very little he posts that isn't critical of police but surely police do some good as well and at worst they're a necessary evil? Perhaps we have Snake in one corner and Sylvester in the other? Both biased in their own way. The main difference is that Snake airs his grievances far more often than Sylvester airs his support of VicPol.

His argument unravelled under scrutiny.

e84b930f4bc97920c01f4d2b30bb560e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The head of the Lawyer X royal commission has asked for a "please explain" after Nicola Gobbo gave a media interview despite claiming she was too sick to front the public inquiry.

"I would like to know why the commission was not informed ... at that very time she [Ms Gobbo] was flying to an international destination and giving a lengthy interview to nationwide media and ... instead the commission was being told that she was too unwell to give evidence," Commissioner Margaret McMurdo said on Wednesday morning.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
When Simon Overland says there's no link between the disappearance of Prideaux and Carl Williams death, then there probably was. Did they ever find the missing CD?

MISSING jail boss David Prideaux had copies of statements made by gangland serial killer Carl Williams and his father, George, including sensational allegations of police involvement in corruption and murder, when he disappeared in Victoria's high country during a hunting trip in June 2011.
It is understood that police have been unable to locate the explosive statements, contained on a CD-ROM, since Mr Prideaux's disappearance.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Nothing to see here apparently.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Wesman

Draftee
Dec 31, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Happy for convictions to be set aside but a new judge will look at what evidence is on offer and go from there . Untainted by what has preceded.
These guys are genuine flight risks so if a new trial looks like it will happen they may struggle to get bail.
Still want to know why Vic Pol legals signed off on this. Think there is a bit more we dont know.
Good observation. It's worse but, reading Ken Jones summary. Gobbo made bucks via a vicpol settlement. Dodgy, no notes

spike101

All Australian
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nothing to see here apparently.

In this article DP is called variously “slick, capable, smartest, over prepared, never took risks...” Why didn’t he then take his phone?
Dog handler “he’s not there, the dogs would have found the scent”. These inconsistencies cause doubt in my mind. He oversaw or didn’t because he was on “secondment” in the same prison CW’s incarceration. There could well be a connection in my mind.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
In this article DP is called variously “slick, capable, smartest, over prepared, never took risks...” Why didn’t he then take his phone?
Dog handler “he’s not there, the dogs would have found the scent”. These inconsistencies cause doubt in my mind. He oversaw or didn’t because he was on “secondment” in the same prison CW’s incarceration. There could well be a connection in my mind.
Phone might've been locked in the car because he doubled back and left to be picked up at a prearranged pick up with the motorcyclists

Crimewavex

Debutant
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wonder if David Prideaux’s disappearance will get a mention anytime?
I believe Adam Shand is working on something about him at the moment/has recently finished something about him where he speaks to the Prideaux family about things.

He had a brief mention on the jailhouse lawyer podcast he did about/with David Mcculloch

Back