The Bigfooty Official Week 10 NBA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know his price is irrelevant, and Conley's probably not the type to make waves.

But considering they used all their trade collateral and sacrificed depth to land him, it's not ideal.

Or he becomes their bench along with Clarkson.

I'd feel very comfortable with Mike Conley coming off the bench as a Jazz starter knowing that you've got a damn good player entering the game that won't f*** up the hard work we've just done.

Besides a 3 man rotation of Ingles/Mitchell/Conley running the point for 48 minutes is pretty damn versatile.

Or he becomes their bench along with Clarkson.

I'd feel very comfortable with Mike Conley coming off the bench as a Jazz starter knowing that you've got a damn good player entering the game that won't f*** up the hard work we've just done.

Besides a 3 man rotation of Ingles/Mitchell/Conley running the point for 48 minutes is pretty damn versatile.

Yeah it's a nice luxury to have.

The problem is though that their back-up bigs - Niang, Davis and the dearly departed Uncle Jeff - have been absolutely horrible.

Ingles and Mitchell have both tried playing with that group, to no avail. Their best bench player thus far has been Mudiay, which tells you how bad their bench is. Having Conley/Clarkson/Mudiay coming off the bench is decent guard depth, but when Gobert in particular wants a breather they need to find a solution.

This is where they miss Favors and Crowder.

Lol, overreactions in December are a annual occurrence.

Their main 6/7 guys outside of Conley and Ingles' slow start have been fine. It's been the bench which has killed them.

View attachment 799382

They should try this, if for no other reason that Ingles has good chemistry with Gobert, and he and Mitchell have been essentially splitting de facto PG mins.

Bringing Conley off the bench is not an optimal way to use a $32 million point guard, but they should at least give it a go.
Yeah it's a nice luxury to have.

The problem is though that their back-up bigs - Niang, Davis and the dearly departed Uncle Jeff - have been absolutely horrible.

Ingles and Mitchell have both tried playing with that group, to no avail. Their best bench player thus far has been Mudiay, which tells you how bad their bench is. Having Conley/Clarkson/Mudiay coming off the bench is decent guard depth, but when Gobert in particular wants a breather they need to find a solution.

This is where they miss Favors and Crowder.

Niang, Davis & Bradley probably haven't been given a decent shot given they've likely had 10-12 relief minutes a match to split between the three of them. Do they really suffer when Gobert is off for such a small amount of time?

Royce O'Neal has been pleasantly surprising and as surprising is to see Jinglin Joe strike some form again.

As mentioned previously, this is Donovan's team and it looks infinitely better with him running the point. Bring Conley on to lead the second unit & let him take as many shots as he likes in that instance.

Niang, Davis & Bradley probably haven't been given a decent shot given they've likely had 10-12 relief minutes a match to split between the three of them. Do they really suffer when Gobert is off for such a small amount of time?

Bradley you could probably argue deserves a bit more time.

But overall, the bench has been abysmal. You can see that the guys who have played with the bench - Ingles, Mitchell, Conley - have had their +/- stats dragged way down, while the guys that haven't - Gobert, Bogdanovic & O'Neale - have awesome +/- metrics.

They were really banking on Ed Davis to replace Favors, but he's having the worst season of his career. As nahnah said it's surprising as he's usually solid.

Royce O'Neal has been pleasantly surprising and as surprising is to see Jinglin Joe strike some form again.

O'Neale was pretty good last year too. Great glue guy. They just don't have a like for like replacement buried on their bench though.

As mentioned previously, this is Donovan's team and it looks infinitely better with him running the point. Bring Conley on to lead the second unit & let him take as many shots as he likes in that instance.

I think it's more a case of Ingles having good chemistry with Gobert, which gives them three shot creators on the floor along with Mitchell and Bogey. That and the fact that Conley hasn't really developed chemistry with the other starters yet either.

They might be able to get by with an eight man rotation if Davis picks up his game. If not there are rumours that Portland would like him back, but at his salary it'll still be hard to find a decent bench big at this stage of the season. If Cleveland buys out John Henson they might give him a look.

But overall, the bench has been abysmal. You can see that the guys who have played with the bench - Ingles, Mitchell, Conley - have had their +/- stats dragged way down, while the guys that haven't - Gobert, Bogdanovic & O'Neale - have awesome +/- metrics.

They were really banking on Ed Davis to replace Favors, but he's having the worst season of his career. As nahnah said it's surprising as he's usually solid.

O'Neale was pretty good last year too. Great glue guy. They just don't have a like for like replacement buried on their bench though.

I think it's more a case of Ingles having good chemistry with Gobert, which gives them three shot creators on the floor along with Mitchell and Bogey. That and the fact that Conley hasn't really developed chemistry with the other starters yet either.

They might be able to get by with an eight man rotation if Davis picks up his game. If not there are rumours that Portland would like him back, but at his salary it'll still be hard to find a decent bench big at this stage of the season. If Cleveland buys out John Henson they might give him a look.
What benefit would the Cavs get out of buying out Henson who’s played well so far? We have a roster spot + well below tax line

What benefit would the Cavs get out of buying out Henson who’s played well so far? We have a roster spot + well below tax line

Purely a goodwill gesture on your part.

If his salary was a little less, I daresay you'd stand a chance of trading him. Has looked decent since he returned.

God Sacramento are horrid

Walton surely is under pressure

Fox being injured is so no excuse for some of the crap they have dished up

I don't really understand where the expectation that they'd be any good this year comes from.

1577626548751.png

Not exactly a roster that screams "playoffs!" to me, especially with Fox having missed 18 games, and Bagley missing 23 games so far.

That being said, I don't understand why they play such a slow-paced, plodding style. I feel like they've got the tools to at least be the Wizards of the West - Losing record, but lots of scoring and fun to watch.

If a traditional centre as part of their 2nd unit isn’t working and their bench is as bad as the stats say they should blow it up & start again.

Taj Gibson is doing nothing for the Knicks if they’re really keen on trying another smaller C, but they really need shooting as far as I can tell looking at that list.

What’s Trevor Ariza doing these days?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back