Play Nice The Other Codes - Participation, Admin, Ratings, Crowds etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
1. Female contact RU (mainly 7's) & RL (latter off a small base) are having significant growth in Australia, which will greatly help RU & RL...and reduce nos. for female AF in NSW, ACT & Qld.
The schoolgirls' team has just won a world Schoolgirls' 7's competition in NZ.

2. Australian women have just finished 2nd (to NZ) in Cape Town In a World Series 7's competition.
(The Australian men's 7's team, surprisingly, finished 12th, to Canada).

I'd hazard a guess that the success of the Women's team at the Olympics would have had a positive impact on the growth of Rugby 7's

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
1. Female contact RU (mainly 7's) & RL (latter off a small base) are having significant growth in Australia, which will greatly help RU & RL...and reduce nos. for female AF in NSW, ACT & Qld.
The schoolgirls' team has just won a world Schoolgirls' 7's competition in NZ.

2. Australian women have just finished 2nd (to NZ) in Cape Town In a World Series 7's competition.
(The Australian men's 7's team, surprisingly, finished 12th, to Canada).

Well BBT you could be right about the AFL Women being affected recruiting wise.
However we have to try and increase the numbers against considerable odds. Its a different world in Sydney for everything not just sport having lived there for 10 years.
But it is the last region with a considerable suitably aged female population where our games penetration is I still say low- It is going to be a slog for sure.
Keep your eyes open for a 2019 Total NSW Female participation report - The only thing I have found is 15,000 new players for 2019 to be added to previous total ??????

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Keep your eyes open for a 2019 Total NSW Female participation report - The only thing I have found is 15,000 new players for 2019 to be added to previous total ??????
1. The NSW/ACT growth of 15,000 more females in 2019 appears to be very good- depends on how many play in crucial Club & school competitions; or rubbery one-off Gala days etc (which have minimal value for true expansion of AF)

2. An inaugural state-wide female RL comp. will commence in Qld. in 2020: the QRLW.
The women will play a 7 week Home & Away season. The NRL is now devoting some solid funding for female contact RL.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is just a reminder of how big women's soccer is outside of Australia.
Over 77,000 paying fans for this one game, let alone other women soccer games that have been played in front of very large crowds.
Its a reminder how minuscule ALFW is.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Over 77,000 paying fans for this one game, let alone other women soccer games that have been played in front of very large crowds.

And you still say you arent a troll eh.

Any reminder that people are willing to pay to watch women play their country's native football code is good for AFLW, probably makes Gill McLachlan feel even more satisfied with his decision to fast track the league.

And in March, when (with a bit of luck) cricket breaks the record for the highest attendance to a standalone women's sporting event (surpassing soccer), I suspect the AFL will welcome that as another Australian public endorsement of Girls Playing Those Sports and perhaps be motivated by it too.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
National match between two of the biggest soccer playing nations on Earth, held in a city with population of 8.9 million, got twice as many as a game between Adelaide and Carlton, in Adelaide, population bugger all.

I can see why you want to compare English national team soccer match crowds, to Australian footballs womens domestic league crowds, and not Englands womens domestic league crowds.

If you did that, people may wonder how come the almost new AFLW averages crowds that are over 50% higher than the FA womens super league.

Could it be, that people in power in Soccer, fap themselves over the headlines they get for national team games, but dont give a * about the womens game in general. What do you think the reason is for almost half the clubs in Englands top female comp getting smaller crowds than GWS's womens team?

It does beg the question, how much of a minnow can AFLW be, if its bigger than Englands womens super league (its supposed to be super)

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
National match between two of the biggest soccer playing nations on Earth, held in a city with population of 8.9 million, got twice as many as a game between Adelaide and Carlton, in Adelaide, population bugger all.

I can see why you want to compare English national team soccer match crowds, to Australian footballs womens domestic league crowds, and not Englands womens domestic league crowds.

If you did that, people may wonder how come the almost new AFLW averages crowds that are over 50% higher than the FA womens super league.

Could it be, that people in power in Soccer, fap themselves over the headlines they get for national team games, but dont give a fu** about the womens game in general. What do you think the reason is for almost half the clubs in Englands top female comp getting smaller crowds than GWS's womens team?

It does beg the question, how much of a minnow can AFLW be, if its bigger than Englands womens super league (its supposed to be super)
There were over 77,000 PAYING fans.
How much does the GWS women team charge admission?
How do they count the crowd are GWS women's games?

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth

Could it be, that people in power in Soccer, fap themselves over the headlines they get for national team games, but dont give a fu** about the womens game in general. What do you think the reason is for almost half the clubs in Englands top female comp getting smaller crowds than GWS's womens team?
And the AFL doesnt....The AFL also love the "one-off" event, like the grand final, opening day etc.

The AFLW resembles the UEFA champions league more than a normal Aussie Rules Comp. A marketing tool than a sporting comp. If AFL was fair dinkum about improving the game, players and the sporting league, it would increase the length of the season. But as seen in the CBA negotiations, they are very resistant to that.

Let's be honest, the AFL is doing exactly what you say the English FA are. Regardless, The AFLW doesn't need to be compared to another sport in another country. It is a stupid comparison to start with.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
There were over 77,000 PAYING fans.

For a national team clash in what is the largest sport in that continent by a fair margin.

How much does the GWS women team charge admission?
How do they count the crowd are GWS women's games?

Who gives a damn how much they charge. The AFL doesnt want to charge, they dont have to - theyve gomne for the belief that promotion and free entry contribute to the games development early on. GWS womens crowds are presumably counted through the turnstile like everyone else if they play at an enclosed venue like North Sydney oval, Blacktown and Manuka.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
And the AFL doesnt....The AFL also love the "one-off" event, like the grand final, opening day etc.

The AFLW resembles the UEFA champions league more than a normal Aussie Rules Comp. A marketing tool than a sporting comp. If AFL was fair dinkum about improving the game, players and the sporting league, it would increase the length of the season. But as seen in the CBA negotiations, they are very resistant to that.

Game in development stages still. By the end of its current CBA the AFLW season will be almost as long as the W-league and WBBL seasons.

Let's be honest, the AFL is doing exactly what you say the English FA are. Regardless, The AFLW doesn't need to be compared to another sport in another country. It is a stupid comparison to start with.

Everyone has their own way of promoting womens sport and driving new growth into their competitions and womens games. I dont think theres any wrong way of doing it at this stage, its up to each sport to find their own way. If you can afford free entry, then why wouldnt you? If you can afford it and still want to charge, then thats their perogative too.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Game in development stages still. By the end of its current CBA the AFLW season will be almost as long as the W-league and WBBL seasons.
I hope so. The bare min these girls should get is to play each other once in the season proper.

Everyone has their own way of promoting womens sport and driving new growth into their competitions and womens games. I dont think theres any wrong way of doing it at this stage, its up to each sport to find their own way. If you can afford free entry, then why wouldnt you? If you can afford it and still want to charge, then thats their perogative too.
I am for free entry. Getting people interested, watching and going is an achievement in itself. I just think that comparing a womens national soccer game and even league in another country to the AFLW is stupid and full of flaws. Some comparison between the leagues is good, but a measuring contest is not one of them.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
When they go through the turn styles after paying their admission fee
You like the comparison when it's in your favour. But if you crow over the peaks, you have to accept the troughs.

I don't crow about the Freo Optus game, the 2019 grand final, or the leagues opening game. These arent representative, a 5000 game is more representative of a decent AFLW game.

You cannot crow about an international game getting 77000 showing AFLW us a minnow, then get defensive at this supposed giant of women's Sports having a whole host of big clubs struggle getting more than 2000 through the gate.

That you actually demonstrated that AFLW is holding its own as a women's domestic league may not be what you were after, but it's a valuable contribution none the less.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
EVen I'm surprised at the English Super womens league getting such paltry crowds.
There are reasons. Everton, for example, play 30 miles away from their normal home ground at a tin shed of a lower league club. That is very common among the bigger clubs. It has been out of sight a lot of the time as well. Add in the fact that not all the biggest clubs make it to the top league. For example, This year is Man Utds(who were very very slow to the women's game) first in the top div. They replaced Yeovil Town, who were relegated last year and whos men's team only averaged 3K in league 2.

It has improved a lot this year. Thanks to a post-world cup boom and one-off special games at the clubs normal home grounds, have seen total attendance for the season to reach 400K, with 2-3 months to go(half a season) Think that is an average of around 4K. Last year, the full season only had 220K at an average of 1K.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
You like the comparison when it's in your favour. But if you crow over the peaks, you have to accept the troughs.

I don't crow about the Freo Optus game, the 2019 grand final, or the leagues opening game. These arent representative, a 5000 game is more representative of a decent AFLW game.

You cannot crow about an international game getting 77000 showing AFLW us a minnow, then get defensive at this supposed giant of women's Sports having a whole host of big clubs struggle getting more than 2000 through the gate.

That you actually demonstrated that AFLW is holding its own as a women's domestic league may not be what you were after, but it's a valuable contribution none the less.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
I only deal in facts unlike you who deals in fantasy
EVen I'm surprised at the English Super womens league getting such paltry crowds.
Over 4,000 on average who all pay. You could quadtruple that if it was free admission

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Its a scientific fact that you will get more people watching if its free, compared if you have to pay.
Its also a scientific fact that you get more people turning up if they are given free tickets.
The real challenge is getting people to turn up if you are charging admission. :)

Its a scientific fact that you will get more people watching if its free, compared if you have to pay.
Its also a scientific fact that you get more people turning up if they are given free tickets.
Already backpeddling from "quadtruple" eh, Mr. Facts. Hahaha.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
The real challenge is getting people to turn up if you are charging admission. :)
A league would get lock outs if that was true.

AFLW isnt 'free', nothing is. You have a commitment of time, there is the cost and effort of transport. There is food. There is the 'opportunity' cost, which is, there are other things you could have been doing, but now arent.

Super league tickets (adult), range from 5 - 9 quid, with an average of 7.

If your prepared to take the time and effort to get your family to the AFLW for a game, $10 isnt stopping you.

Your quadruple comment is ridiculous. 10% maybe

The Eagles Freo game is going to be ticketed, its a requirement of having a game at Optus, there will be a charge. By your reckoning, its going to get less than the average AFLW game?

I went to the last AFLW game at Optus. I bought 3 tickets ($15). I had to drive 90 min, then get on a train for about 30 min. Have a meal out (maybe $20). Then train and drive home. Total investment of time, about 6 hrs. How high do ticket prices need to go before the cost of the ticket becomes the determining factor? A $5 ticket becomes the determining factor for very few imop (note, imop, maybe I should call it a scientific fact?). Its a scientific fact that the difference between a free ticket and a cheap ticket on determining fans behaviour is minimal.

Question for you, why are clubs like Everton, getting only a couple of thousand to a game, charging an entry fee? Why, whats the point? The whole season is going to bring in 100 000 or so in gate fees. Is that like 0.02% of turnover?

They could quadruple their crowds, and it would only cost them a pittance. Would make more in food and drinks than they lose in tickets. You should give them a heads up.

AFLW isnt 'free', nothing is. You have a commitment of time, there is the cost and effort of transport. There is food. There is the 'opportunity' cost, which is, there are other things you could have been doing, but now arent.

If your prepared to take the time and effort to get your family to the AFLW for a game, $10 isnt stopping you.

The Eagles Freo game is going to be ticketed, its a requirement of having a game at Optus, there will be a charge. By your reckoning, its going to get less than the average AFLW game?

I went to the last AFLW game at Optus. I bought 3 tickets ($15). I had to drive 90 min, then get on a train for about 30 min. Have a meal out (maybe $20). Then train and drive home. Total investment of time, about 6 hrs. How high do ticket prices need to go before the cost of the ticket becomes the determining factor? A $5 ticket becomes the determining factor for very few imop (note, imop, maybe I should call it a scientific fact?). Its a scientific fact that the difference between a free ticket and a cheap ticket on determining fans behaviour is minimal.

Question for you, why are clubs like Everton, getting only a couple of thousand to a game, charging an entry fee? Why, whats the point? The whole season is going to bring in 100 000 or so in gate fees. Is that like 0.02% of turnover?

They could quadruple their crowds, and it would only cost them a pittance. Would make more in food and drinks than they lose in tickets. You should give them a heads up.
Casey Fields is impossible to get to unless you drive, and is off on a corner of Melbourne. I'm sure the people who went either via public transport or to drive 45+ minutes there, would have still gone if they had to pay $5 or $10 or whatever, given the commitment they had to going anyway.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne

There is a reason why its free entry to AFLW games and that is if they charged a fee it would only have 1 man and his dog watching.
The AFL has an unhealthy lust for money and if they thought that people would pay to watch they would charge.
There is a reason why the AFL gives out lots of free tickets to certain clubs.
The AFL doesn't do something for nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back