EPL Matchday 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously, no one has any clue what happened. The game is played in real time. God help us when every single decision is reviewed frame by frame - games will go for days and the current Christmas congestion will look like Childs play. They will need to defer internationals to allow players who are waiting for VAR decisions to become available.

Jeez this is a bore

If you think it's all fine, just move on. Nothing we say is going to change anything now.

One thing that I keep coming back to. If pigmol came out explained how decisions were made there would be much less of this confusion and cynicism.

I don't understand why they're not more open.

Sack Riley.

We are making assessments in slow motion from footage filmed off a TV screen :oops:
Like we've been doing for decades.

Doesn't hurt anyone, if you're not interested you're not forced to participate.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
yeah should be given too. I just don’t understand the game any more.
I dont understand why Arsenal supporters think the Jorginho non card cost the game yet ignore the Guendouzis one that happened earlier.

Both s**t decisions but i guess they cancelled each other out.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
I dont understand why Arsenal supporters think the Jorginho non card cost the game yet ignore the Guendouzis one that happened earlier.

To be honest, I didn’t even see this one. Must have been in the toilet. I guess with Guendouzi, you could argue the ref didn’t see it as he was watching the ball but with Jorginho it’s right in front of him. Regardless, both are supposed to be yellow card offences.

Not really as Guendouzi being sent off would've been an advantage for Arsenal.

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, Patriots & UConn
I’m still not even sure what they are basing it on. If it’s the hand it’s a joke, if it’s the foot, well it’s hardly advantageous but I guess to the letter of the law it’s offside. It’s also not a clear and obvious error so referees decision should stand too but who knows the actual rules anymore.

Why the apathy for the Wolves goal and the outrage for the Mane goal? Surely you wouldn't be applying a double standard...

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
Arsenal were humming early, to get nothing out of that game would be disappointing.
I am a very frustrated arsenal fan. Can anybody explain why we have been so bad since the beginnig of october. We have got 9 points in last 12 games. Even worse, this loss means we are 11 points off 4th, rather than 5 points behind which we were at the 82nd minute mark of this Chelsea game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a very frustrated arsenal fan. Can anybody explain why we have been so bad since the beginnig of october. We have got 9 points in last 12 games. Even worse, this loss means we are 11 points off 4th, rather than 5 points behind which we were at the 82nd minute mark of this Chelsea game.

IMO the full backs not being fit hurts, The CB and midfield options need to be improved. Pepe also needs to play ahead of Nelson. Maybe the midfield needs to provide more cover to the defence and that may include going from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-3.

We thought Van Dijk handballed it as well in the lead up to the goal. Then he tells me Van Dijk's too far away, I can't get my head around it.

That's from Coady. I did read yesterday that Taylor had said that it was handball but it was too far back to be seen as part of the buildup.

This seems to back that up, to me it's a totally flawed application of the law by Taylor and VAR.

And the second time a handball in the leadup to Liverpool's opening goal has been ignored.

Jan 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, PAOK
If that is true then that is ridiculous. What seems to make sense is that the footage is inconclusive and they aren't going to overturn the on-field decision based on the footage we have seen until now.

VAR is a good idea but the way it's enforced is heavily flawed as many have pointed out and we are seeing that on a weekly basis. What is partly to blame is the grey area with some of the rules and things that are left to interpretation, whether that be handball or what is deemed "enough contact" to go down.

That's from Coady. I did read yesterday that Taylor had said that it was handball but it was too far back to be seen as part of the buildup.

This seems to back that up, to me it's a totally flawed application of the law by Taylor and VAR.

And the second time a handball in the leadup to Liverpool's opening goal has been ignored.

Taylor might not have deemed it relevant but VAR did check it and found the footage inconclusive. VAR did what it was supposed to do in this case.

It wasn't ignored, just like TAAs handball wasn't ignored earlier this season. They were cleared, you're just coming off as bitter because the official interpretations doesn't suit the outcomes you wanted.

It wasn't ignored, just like TAAs handball wasn't ignored earlier this season. They were cleared, you're just coming off as bitter because the official interpretations doesn't suit the outcomes you wanted.
Sorry old buddy,

moomba was the one making sense that convo.

Sorry old buddy,

moomba was the one making sense that convo.

Not really, he's asserting:
-VAR didn't check it (They did)
-It was a clear handball ( It wasn't clear, video was inconclusive as the ball didn't deviate when it went past his arm. A still frame where you can't tell how far his arm is from the ball isn't much evidence either due to the angle).

It was checked and cleared, not ignored as Moomba is saying.

Last edited:
-It was a clear handball ( It wasn't clear, video was inconclusive as the ball didn't deviate when it went past his arm. A still frame where you can't tell how far his arm is from the ball isn't much evidence either due to the angle).

I stand corrected. Seems the flogs are having a VAR debate in two match day (not the VAR thread lol) and he’s bang on in the other one.

play on.

Taylor might not have deemed it relevant but VAR did check it and found the footage inconclusive. VAR did what it was supposed to do in this case.

I can disagree with a decision without bitterness having anything to do with it.

TAA absolutely was handball imo. VVD looks it to me, but I can see that there is doubt there. No bitterness there, just as I'm sure you've disagreed with decisions in the past without bitterness being involved.

But it's just my opinion, and in the long run my opinion matters not one bit in the ultimate scheme of things.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool

Correct. Maybe I’ve missed something but I honestly don’t know what the fuss is about. I’m still yet to see any footage conclusively proving Van Dijk touched the ball with his arm, and would’ve resulted in the goal being overturned. I assume those who are irritated at the decision have seen said footage, if they could share in here that would be great.

With regards to the other decision referenced, frequently when I see it discussed here or on Twitter, the fact that Silva handballed it into Arnold is conveniently overlooked. It was one that could’ve been argued in half a dozen different ways, hardly clear cut that we unfairly benefited from an incorrect decision.

On the other side of the ledger, thanks to a 10mm goal line VAR decision we missed out on an invincible, possibly league title winning season last year. There are many other instances where (rightly or wrongly) it hasn’t gone our way, there are many when it has. Like any supporter I’m grateful for the ones we get and I’ll piss and moan about the ones we don’t, but personally I’m one for sticking with the null hypothesis until someone can present actual, robust data to prove the conspiracy narrative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back