Rate the best performing clubs of the AFL era (1990-). Looking beyond number of premierships and at overall performance

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Let’s face it, this thread is, was and will always be about Richmond.

Actually it was pumping up Geelong.

Pity you decided to derail it by harping on about Richmond who finally pulled themselves out of mediocrity for a few seasons.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Actually it was pumping up Geelong.

Pity you decided to derail it by harping on about Richmond who finally pulled themselves out of mediocrity for a few seasons.

You cannot derail a thread by talking about the real reason the thread exists. A moderator has dematerialised several of my posts for being "off topic.” Interesting concept that. More like people didn’t like inconvenient truths being pointed out regarding their pet teams or about Richmond’s current domination. Weak.

It must be pretty humiliating to have about 10 posters do their worst and not lay a glove on my arguments and all the time digging themselves in a deeper and deeper hole so they have to start staging for phoney free kicks from the umpire as well. Gutless.

Someone who seeks to deal with his opponent's argument by silencing the opponent’s more difficult points gets no respect from me in any substantial conversation.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
You cannot derail a thread by talking about the real reason the thread exists. A moderator has dematerialised several of my posts for being "off topic.” Interesting concept that. More like people didn’t like inconvenient truths being pointed out regarding their pet teams or about Richmond’s current domination. Weak.

It must be pretty humiliating to have about 10 posters do their worst and not lay a glove on my arguments and all the time digging themselves in a deeper and deeper hole so they have to start staging for phoney free kicks from the umpire as well. Gutless.

Someone who seeks to deal with his opponent's argument by silencing the opponent’s more difficult points gets no respect from me in any substantial conversation.
Huh? I think you’ll find all of us had our posts deleted for being off topic, which they were.

You’re not special snowflake and neither is your team.

Move on and stop derailing the thread.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
1. Geelong
2. West Coast
2. St Kilda
3. Collingwood
4. Hawthorn
5. Brisbane
6. Sydney
7. Adelaide

9. North
10. Richmond

11. Essendon

Only a Geelong supporter would rate teams on performance, eliminating the primary performance measures.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Only a Geelong supporter would rate teams on performance, eliminating the primary performance measures.

Finally someone who agrees with me that it should be judged by the primary performance measures(can you have primary measures? Surely a primary measure, a secondary measure and so on...) So the primary measure is Grand Final win/loss ratio. The secondary measure is percentage in Grand Finals. And the tertiary measure if ever needed to still further separate clubs can be something less significant like how many premierships you have won. That way it is clear cut and we can all be happy. :cool::cool::cool:

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Yeah you used Capriati points system.

Now Use my system which adds points for finals wins.....

Premiership : 5 points
Grand final Appearence: 2 points
Minor Premiership: 2 points
Finals win: 1 point
Finals appearence: 0.5 points
1). West Coast = 77.5
2). Geelong = 73.5
3). Hawthorn = 72
4). Sydney = 60
5). Collingwood = 53.5
6). Essendon = 51.5
7). Adelaide = 45.5
8). North Melbourne = 45
9). Brisbane Lions = 42.5
10). Port Adelaide = 31
11). Carlton = 29.5
12). Richmond = 29
13). St Kilda = 25.5
14). Western Bulldogs = 25
15). Melbourne = 19
16). Fremantle = 13.5
17). GWS = 10
18). Gold Coast = 0

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
1). West Coast = 77.5
2). Geelong = 73.5
3). Hawthorn = 72
4). Sydney = 60
5). Collingwood = 53.5
6). Essendon = 51.5
7). Adelaide = 45.5
8). North Melbourne = 45
9). Brisbane Lions = 42.5
10). Port Adelaide = 31
11). Carlton = 29.5
12). Richmond = 29
13). St Kilda = 25.5
15). Melbourne = 19
16). Fremantle = 13.5
17). GWS = 10
18). Gold Coast = 0

Where is the bullett next to the 12? ;)

13). St Kilda = 25.5
Any success measuring system that can allow a premiership winner to sit below a non-premiership winner just doesn't seem to sit right for me. I'm sure there's plenty of St Kilda supporters who would gladly trade in their 1997, 2009 and 2010 seasons in for the Bulldogs 2016 season in a heart beat.

That's just me, so I'd be interested to know if there are any St Kilda fans who do feel like they've been more successful than the Bulldogs over the last three decades. I wouldn't consider them far below the Bulldogs. They got very close multiple times. Arguably as close as you can possibly get without getting there.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Any success measuring system that can allow a premiership winner to sit below a non-premiership winner just doesn't seem to sit right for me. I'm sure there's plenty of St Kilda supporters who would gladly trade in their 1997, 2009 and 2010 seasons in for the Bulldogs 2016 season in a heart beat.

That's just me, so I'd be interested to know if there are any St Kilda fans who do feel like they've been more successful than the Bulldogs over the last three decades. I wouldn't consider them far below the Bulldogs. They got very close multiple times. Arguably as close as you can possibly get without getting there.
I would glady trade Freos 2013 Grand final season which we made the grand final and freos 2015 season which we won the minor premiership and even the 2014 season as well when we made top 4 for the dogs 2016 season. I would trade that with no hesitiation.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
At some point more wins, more Minor Premierships, more Finals series and more Grand Finals have to outweigh the extra premiership though right?

Fwiw, my list would be:

Hawthorn
West Coast
Geelong
Sydney
Brisbane
Collingwood
North
Adelaide
Richmond
Port Adelaide
Bulldogs
Carlton
St Kilda
Fremantle
Melbourne
Giants
Gold Coast
Your selling your team short mate, at the end of it there is one thing that counts PREMIERSHIPS the rest means jack squat. Richmond have won 2 in 3 years mate. Ask any other side would take in a heart beat.

I did the top 10

1.Hawks (6 grand finals 5 flags OUTSTANDING)
2. West Coast (7 grand finals and 4 flags)
3. Geelong (4 grand finals and 3 flags)
4 Brisbane (4 grand finals and 3 flags)
5 Sydney (5 grand finals and 2 flags)
6 Richmond (2 flags in 3 years is pretty impressive)
7 Collingwood (6 grand finals and 2 flags)
8 Adelaide (2 flags from 3 grand finals)
9 North (2 flags from 3 grand finals)
10 Essendon (2 flags from 3 grandinals)

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Wait, is this thread about 'who built the best list in the AFL era' or the actual thread title?

It is pretty clear who is the best performing club of the AFL era in regards to Premierships.
Premierships are invariably the best metric for 'performance' or 'success' in sport.
I would also be pretty confident that if you asked anybody else - they would prefer to win 1 premiership in 30 years than to have the 'best list' for 30 years straight but have 0 premierships.

Nice attempted troll.
Finally some sense, i agree it all comes down to Premierships. You can play as many finals as you want.

Lolbert

Team Captain
May 9, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Finally someone who agrees with me that it should be judged by the primary performance measures(can you have primary measures? Surely a primary measure, a secondary measure and so on...) So the primary measure is Grand Final win/loss ratio. The secondary measure is percentage in Grand Finals. And the tertiary measure if ever needed to still further separate clubs can be something less significant like how many premierships you have won. That way it is clear cut and we can all be happy. :cool::cool::cool:
If every bad Richmond stereotype had a orgy and delivered a baby, you would be it.

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Your selling your team short mate, at the end of it there is one thing that counts PREMIERSHIPS the rest means jack squat. Richmond have won 2 in 3 years mate. Ask any other side would take in a heart beat.

I did the top 10

1.Hawks (6 grand finals 5 flags OUTSTANDING)
2. West Coast (7 grand finals and 4 flags)
3. Geelong (4 grand finals and 3 flags)
4 Brisbane (4 grand finals and 3 flags)
5 Sydney (5 grand finals and 2 flags)
6 Richmond (2 flags in 3 years is pretty impressive)
7 Collingwood (6 grand finals and 2 flags)
8 Adelaide (2 flags from 3 grand finals)
9 North (2 flags from 3 grand finals)
10 Essendon (2 flags from 3 grandinals)
Would put Richmond above sydney but otherwise spot on

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Would put Richmond above sydney but otherwise spot on
no you wouldnt. Not yet anyway. Richmond should be 10th on that table you quoted

Both teams have won 2 flags.

But the difference is, Swans have made finals 20 times since 1990. Tigers only 8 times.

How ever.... if the tigers win another flag in 2020, they should jump over Essendon, Magpies, North, Swans and Crows as they have each won 2 flags since 1990.

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
no you wouldnt. Not yet anyway. Richmond should be 10th on that table you quoted

Both teams have won 2 flags.

But the difference is, Swans have made finals 20 times since 1990. Tigers only 8 times.

How ever.... if the tigers win another flag in 2020, they should jump over Essendon, Magpies, North, Swans and Crows as they have each won 2 flags since 1990.
Says you. Pull your head in.

Back