News NMFC AFLW 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is an issue women will have to come to terms with as the game becomes more professional, I am happy for her on a personal level, but it has really hurt the club.

I do not know what is going to happen if half the side gets knocked up in a given year? Do you just pack it in and say * it?

Even just looking through a narrow football-oriented lens, the only bad news about Jess' announcement is that she isn't having octuplets (assuming the mother-daughter/mother-son rule is ratified at some point in the next 18 years). Regarding a list replacement, we lost a player after the cut-off last year in less special circumstances and were still able to get an exemption which led to signing Beth Lynch.

I've already anointed Grierson (her knee is clearly fine going by this undeniable evidence) as the natural successor to Duffin, so is this simply an opportunity for me to be proven a genius earlier than expected?

Are aflw kids eligible to be picked up as mother-sons
They're currently far too small and slow to cut it at the top level! In all seriousness, there will be a rule in place when the issue arises, no different to the father-daughter rule.

Duffin is having a girl, to be clear, but it's still a relevant question because there is already one North AFLW player, Sophie Abbatangelo, with a son:
I will always try to encourage my kids to see their strengths and use them, whether it’s Hendrix’s hand-eye coordination and great ball skills that might have him playing under the mother-son rule

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Just a heads up for anybody thinking of attending our Round 3 game vs Richmond (Sunday 3.10pm, 23 Feb), your chances of successfully doing so have dramatically increased now that this particular fixture has been moved from Punt Road Oval to Ikon Park.

And while I'm here, may as well mention the AFLWebsite has been posting the results of a 14-player (one from each club) survey. Obviously should be taken with a grain of salt, but even moreso given that a zero-gamer earned a mention. Nevertheless, it's mostly what you'd expect, including votes floating around for a few Kangas.

Best Ruckman
7 - Lauren Pearce (Melbourne)
3 - Emma King (North Melbourne)
1 - Breann Moody (Carlton), Alison Downie (Carlton), Mim Strom (Fremantle), Erin McKinnon (GWS)

Best Midfielder
4 – Erin Phillips (Adelaide)
1 – Ellie Blackburn (Western Bulldogs), Kiara Bowers (Fremantle), Jenna Bruton (North Melbourne), Brianna Davey (Collingwood), Dana Hooker (West Coast), Emma Kearney (North Melbourne), Elise O'Dea (Melbourne), Alyce Parker (GWS), Karen Paxman (Melbourne), Daisy Pearce (Melbourne)

Best Forward
7 – Jasmine Garner (North Melbourne)
3 – Stevie-Lee Thompson (Adelaide)
2 – Erin Phillips (Adelaide)
1 – Darcy Vescio (Carlton), Jess Wuetschner (Brisbane)

Some mad respect there for our own Jam Master G, whom I personally ranked as the league's 2nd most valuable player in a thread on the main women's footy board last month.

Less than four weeks until the first game. Does anyone know if there’s a practice match or intra club planned in the lead up?
There was a practice game last year, so I assume so.

We will have our one official practice match on the Australia Day weekend (my almost baseless guess is it'll be against Melbourne again but at Arden Street this time, even though we play each other in R1). A few teams, at least, will be playing additional and unofficial practice matches this weekend too. Don't think any info specifically regarding North's plans has been made available yet.

So according to this article there'll be a joint session with Collingwood on Saturday 11am at Arden Street concluding with a bit of match stuff. The limited info floating around at the moment is our practice match proper, the following weekend, will be against Carlton. Playing neither team in the H&A season at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back