With foxtel dropping Eurosport in 2020, anyone know how we will watch the cycling?

Aug 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For those who hate the know it all's of this world, here is a reply I received from Greenedge cycling today

Hi xxxx,

We’re in contact with Eurosport Australia and keeping an eye on their plans for 2020 in order to be able to let you and all of our fans know their plans.

Unfortunately teams, like us, have no control or say over television rights in cycling, they are 100% owned by the races themselves. That means our influence is limited, but we are hopeful of a solution for our Australian fans.

We will keep you posted as soon as we hear more.

Regards,

Communications Director

Mitchelton-SCOTT UCI WorldTour Team
Mitchelton-SCOTT UCI Women's WorldTour Team
Mitchelton-Bike Exchange UCI Continental Team

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Also do we yet know which races Eurosport is going to carry versus SBS?
The main events missing from the SBS calendar are the Italian races, owned by RCS Sport. That's races like the Giro d'Italia, Milan-San Remo, Strade Bianche, Tirreno-Adriatico, and the Giro Lombardy.

SBS used to have the rights to these races, but in 2018 RCS decided not to let the FTA companies bid for the rights, selling them only to Eurosport and a couple of other Pay TV providers.

SBS still has all of the races owned by ASO, which includes the Tour, Vuelta, Paris-Roubaix, and a lot of the French stage races. They also have the rights to all of the non-Italian classics (Tour of Flanders, Amstell-Gold, Fleche-Wallone, Liege-Bastogne-Liege).

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
We're getting to have way too many subscription TV services; Netflix, Stan, Amazon, Foxtel / Kayo, Disney, Apple TV, Fetch / Optus.

Hulu coming soon too.

Surely there's a point where we're oversaturated and companies are better to combine their services in to a lesser number of platforms?
Yep, the market is screaming out for a streaming aggregator, who will allow you to stream several of these services for one reasonable price. Right now though, everyone has seen what Netflix did and wants to have their own slice of the pie. Soon the pie will be sliced too thinly, and a lot of them will go under - if they don't allow aggregation to happen.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
The main events missing from the SBS calendar are the Italian races, owned by RCS Sport. That's races like the Giro d'Italia, Milan-San Remo, Strade Bianche, Tirreno-Adriatico, and the Giro Lombardy.

SBS used to have the rights to these races, but in 2018 RCS decided not to let the FTA companies bid for the rights, selling them only to Eurosport and a couple of other Pay TV providers.

SBS still has all of the races owned by ASO, which includes the Tour, Vuelta, Paris-Roubaix, and a lot of the French stage races. They also have the rights to all of the non-Italian classics (Tour of Flanders, Amstell-Gold, Fleche-Wallone, Liege-Bastogne-Liege).

As long as I can watch Flanders & Roubaix I'm happy. The Tour and Giro are good but very disruptive to follow day-to-day.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
As long as I can watch Flanders & Roubaix I'm happy. The Tour and Giro are good but very disruptive to follow day-to-day.
All good. Roubaix is owned by ASO, and SBS have a broadcast contract with them.

SBS also cover the Belgian cobbled classics & the Ardennes classics, so you're covered for Flanders as well.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
We're getting to have way too many subscription TV services; Netflix, Stan, Amazon, Foxtel / Kayo, Disney, Apple TV, Fetch / Optus.

Hulu coming soon too.

Surely there's a point where we're oversaturated and companies are better to combine their services into a lesser number of platforms?
Streaming like Netflix slowed piracy and torrents through their convenience and low price point. Now they all want $10 a month from us and more and more services are popping up they're sending us all back to illegally finding their content. Their own greed will be the death of a lot of these...

Optus won't be in sport much longer, they've made no inroads despite spending millions on EPL, who uses Fetch?! Never met anyone with that or Amazon here. 5 years from now at least 4 from that list won't exist

Streaming like Netflix slowed piracy and torrents through their convenience and low price point. Now they all want $10 a month from us and more and more services are popping up they're sending us all back to illegally finding their content. Their own greed will be the death of a lot of these...

Optus won't be in sport much longer, they've made no inroads despite spending millions on EPL, who uses Fetch?! Never met anyone with that or Amazon here. 5 years from now at least 4 from that list won't exist
I have Amazon Prime and it's good. I've only watched The Magicians so far however, and a tiny bit of Good Omens.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

I've got Amazon, mostly due to the Grand Tour (ex. Top Gear) but they've had a handful of decent shows, also bundles with Amazon Prime for discounted delivery, though Amazon's product offering here isn't as broad as overseas, it's a fairly easy one for them to sell people on.

Aug 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

That will be good enough for me. I'll pass on fetch...Another box, another subscription service.

I should be able to get Eurosport on live net tv app and chromecast.

Or maybe I'll just get some sleep this year instead

thegrach

Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2006
Bendigo, Vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, 49ers
I've signed up for the GCN Racepass, takes the Eurosport feed and you can use Chromecast with it. It's been really good so far, shown all the big races so far and us about $12 per month. I'll only use it for 3-4 months per year, so not bad value really.

Back