EPL Matchday 21

Remove this Banner Ad

Foden kicks Sidibes achilles.
What was his Achilles doing there sliding in from behind not getting the ball?

You have to punish the defensive player, not the guy shooting for goal.

What was his Achilles doing there sliding in from behind?

It's a challenge from the side, not behind. If Liverpool got awarded the very same penalty by VAR youd be taking digs at Pigmol & VAR all day long.

We haven't played our best defence with a manager who has half a brain so who knows. I believe a back four of Bellerin, Chambers, Holding & Tierney is pretty solid. (And I think Leno is probably better than all their keepers except for Alisson and maybe Ederson too).

Our midfield is pretty ordinary. Torreira is pretty good, Ozil is elite when at his best (few and far between though, but looking much better under Arteta), inclined to agree though.

Chambers and Holding.. Yikes.

It's a challenge from the side, not behind. If Liverpool got awarded the very same penalty by VAR youd be taking digs at Pigmol & VAR all day long.

And you would be writing chapters on how it was the correct decision. FWIW I have rarely commented on Liverpool's penalties, it's just not worth it.

But if Liverpool received a penalty in that situation I would have thought it was the correct decision.

If people disagree that's fine. One thing that is for sure, if we're relying on clear and obvious error and that isn't one then we're either going to have to get more calls on the pitch, or we're not going to get many penalties under the current setup.

And you would be writing chapters on how it was the correct decision. FWIW I have rarely commented on Liverpool's penalties, it's just not worth it. But if Liverpool received a penalty in that situation I would have thought it was the correct decision.

Sure you would have.

Sure you would have.
When have I last criticised a Liverpool penalty decision? I'm not like you.

Maybe commented on one or two in the past 18 months, you've certainly had a few more than one or two in that period.

Chambers and Holding.. Yikes.
We have Saliba coming in during the summer who from all accounts has been fantastic for St Etienne.

Holding has potential, most seem to think so.
Arsenal fans getting hyped beating a team who lost to Watford by the same score a few weeks ago? Bless ‘em, it doesn’t take a lot to get them pumped these days
Mate Ljungberg was manager and his team selections were truly awful.

How does he kick Foden, with his heel?
If you go to ground in the penalty area, don't get the ball and make contact with a bloke shooting for goal do you not think that's a fairly straightforward foul?

We have Saliba coming in during the summer who from all accounts has been fantastic for St Etienne.

Holding has potential, most seem to think so.

Mate Ljungberg was manager and his team selections were truly awful.
Arsenal, Spurs and United are all way off the pace. You lot make me laugh, perhaps the most deluded fanbase on here. Least us spurs fans know we are s**t at the moment

Arsenal, Spurs and United are all way off the pace. You lot make me laugh, perhaps the most deluded fanbase on here. Least us spurs fans know we are s**t at the moment
Oh, we are well aware how bad we are.

It was a different team this morning. Not played like that for a very long time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, we are well aware how bad we are.

It was a different team this morning. Not played like that for a very long time.

Do you reckon Arterta can motivate Ozil to work hard for the team and play to his abilities? That would almost be like a new signing for you guys as he has been ineffective for quite some time.

Do you reckon Arterta can motivate Ozil to work hard for the team and play to his abilities? That would almost be like a new signing for you guys as he has been ineffective for quite some time.
His stats last night say yes. Most recoveries and highest distance covered by an arsenal player.
First half was good. Second half not so much
disagree on the second half. We lack the fitness to continue what we did in the first half so we sat back and attempted to congest our own half. Don’t think United really threatened to be honest.

Last edited:
If you go to ground in the penalty area, don't get the ball and make contact with a bloke shooting for goal do you not think that's a fairly straightforward foul?

It's completely irrelevant who is attacking and who is defending. Like chef said it appears on the replay that Sidibe got inbetween Foden/ ball and was kicked on the achilles when attempting a shot on goal.

100% a scenario that VAR should be nowhere near and referees decision absolutely should stand. If you expect a VAR review on an incidebt like this you are going to be disappointed regularly.

Foden kicks Sidibes achilles.
That is true.
Moomba has it wrong in that Sidibe didn't kick Foden.

However, Sidibe is the defensive player and has put his leg in front of the attacking player, in an attempt to tackle, has not got the ball and the attacking player has been forced to make contact with Sidibe.

Think there should be an onus there on the defending player to make contact with the ball.
Yep, Foden should have seen red.
Nonsense.

What was his Achilles doing there sliding in from behind not getting the ball?

Spot on imo.
Treat it like a player stepping across an attacker, surely he has to win the ball?

His stats last night say yes. Most recoveries and highest distance covered by an arsenal player.

disagree on the second half. We lack the fitness to continue what we did in the first half so we sat back and attempted to contest our own half. Don’t think United really threatened to be honest.

I'd like to see Ozil in full flight again. Needs to focus and stop getting involved in off field controversies.

First half was good. Second half not so much
Fitness is still an issue for Arsenal, it was the same on Sunday. They blitzed us in the first half and we were lucky not to be more than 1-0 down. They faded and, with the assistance of a Leno blunder and Jorginho not being sent off, we were able to sneak in 2 late goals and win. I can already tell that Arteta has restored belief in the team and has them playing an exciting brand of football but, right now, it's not quite sustainable meaning they need to make the most of their first halves or they will still drop points. Early days but they do look like they're gradually turning the corner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back