Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was an Iranian military official leading and organising militias within another country in Iraq, so it isn’t murder in the more conventional/civil sense. Iran can’t really choose to complain when they have military operatives being killed in another country that they are supposed to be at peace with.
I tend to disagree, Iran and Iraq have every right to complain, it’s effectively killing of a general, by a third party, who’s in charge of foreign policy, visiting a neighbouring country.

Forget about Qassem history of violence for a second.

what do you think the Americans would do if a nation state all of a sudden shot Pompeo, during a visit to Canada.
It’s a complete act of war, that shifts from proxy into a full blown conflict.

Last edited:
I tend to disagree, Iran and Iraq have every right to complain, it’s effectively killing of a general, by a third party, who’s in charge of foreign policy, visiting a neighbouring country.

Forget about Qassem history of violence for a second.

what do you think the Americans would do if a nation state all of a sudden shot Pompeo, during a visit to Canada.
It’s a complete act of war, that shifts from proxy into a full blown conflict.
Feel free to disagree, I was writing fairly generally on my phone.

It is that history of violence, mass protests against Iranian influence and the prescense of proxy militias that reduces the right to complain, but I appreciate your point as the general was formally invited by the Iraqi government. When that general and his government are organising militias, who have killed Iraqi protesters complaining about Iran's influence, whilst on his visit (and his previous visit in October), then you cannot compare the good general to your Pompeo-Canada example. Just on your example, they probably would have done what they just did, assassination of the ringleaders.

It could result in a full-scale war, but unless Iran has Russia's backing (which cannot by 100% assured despite their 'friendliness'. Plus, the Russian military has a few weaknesses that would be badly exposed in a conventional war) or China's support (which is also debatable), Iran is not likely to resort to a full military response. Their proxy strategy continues to be working fairly well (in Syria and Iraq), so why not double down on that stratagem, rather than risk destruction.

In saying all that, the Iranians are having their own internal issues that aren't just related to sanctions or fuel, so they might use the bombing to galvanize the regime.

If we look at the last 5 decades of America's history with both Iran/Iraq, then they have every right to complain and even hate Washington with a burning passion, but that's another discussion.

Last edited:

International law doesn’t apply to the US
They wrote a lot of those laws too. The good old global rules-based order, it’s why the yanks often get away with their hypocrisies when they commit them.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now they're turning on each other.

The extremist elements of the climate groups have really hurt the moderates attempts to deliver the message that they may possess a balanced solution.

They will always turn on each other, academics like Lindsay and co have been pointing out how there are some real Puritan and shaming types within the broader social justice and climate movements.

Lakes Entrance has been covered in smoke all week. There’s an eerie feeling about tomorrow.

Okay, so how we attempt to "fix" this?

Take back burning seriously? Replace native plants with evergreens?

Okay, so how we attempt to "fix" this?

Take back burning seriously? Replace native plants with evergreens?

There needs to be a clearing zone around the major roads - no trees should be within 50 meters of freeways. There needs to be 2 points of entry/exit, people need to adhere to fire safe instead of waiting till after the event.
Enough warning was given but everyone did f... all.
What’s happended will prompt change, I just hope it’s not too late for some towns.
You need to be here to see the impact

Scott Morrison. Problem is he’s excruciatingly bad at it. Worst leader I’ve seen in a crisis. Completely ballsed it up.
Yes and no.

There’s been a lot of lies, sensationalising and politicising during the entire saga, from both sides. It’s been nothing short of disgusting and has made me quite angry and frustrated, so that’s why I’ll leave it alone for now.

There needs to be a clearing zone around the major roads - no trees should be within 50 meters of freeways. There needs to be 2 points of entry/exit, people need to adhere to fire safe instead of waiting till after the event.
Enough warning was given but everyone did f... all.
What’s happended will prompt change, I just hope it’s not too late for some towns.
You need to be here to see the impact
Good luck KG.

I've got a relative in Lakes who has decided to stay at home, while his wife has left to stay with family in Melbourne. He says there is cautious optimism that Lakes might be ok, otherwise he has to hightail it to the beach/lake.

Scary scary times.

Good luck KG.

I've got a relative in Lakes who has decided to stay at home, while his wife has left to stay with family in Melbourne. He says there is cautious optimism that Lakes might be ok, otherwise he has to hightail it to the beach/lake.

Scary scary times.

Thanks OP, it’s very serious. We are staying also, we should be ok but in case embers start coming in I want to protect from that.

Yes and no.

There’s been a lot of lies, sensationalising and politicising during the entire saga, from both sides. It’s been nothing short of disgusting and has made me quite angry and frustrated, so that’s why I’ll leave it alone for now.

And no? What has he done right? He’s completely cocked it up. Zero leadership skills.

Edit- I also don’t know what you mean by lies from both sides? We only have one PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back