Preview Season 2020 - Do we start with our LIDS OFF? AKA Kane Cornes get in the bin.

DO THE BRISBANE LIONS DESERVE TO START SEASON 2020 WITH THEIR LIDS OFF?

• 100% - ALL LIDS ARE OFF!

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • I have put the lid back on and will wait and see

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • We will make the finals, but after that, who knows?

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Opposition teams will be on to us in 2020 and we are going to miss the finals.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cautiously optimistic , but undecided. I am holding the lid, but don't know what to do.

Votes: 16 20.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lid off the more I think about it.Is there a logical reason we can’t improve? It’s not about emulating last year’s ladder position either.It’s about not getting embarrassed like we did two weeks in a row last season.

Disclaimer would be we are maybe one year too young to cover a couple of important players out for a chunk of the year with injury.

I noticed bookies offering $2.50 to miss the 8 and $2.50 to make top 4.My choice is clear of those two.

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lid off the more I think about it.Is there a logical reason we can’t improve? It’s not about emulating last year’s ladder position either.It’s about not getting embarrassed like we did two weeks in a row last season.

Disclaimer would be we are maybe one year too young to cover a couple of important players out for a chunk of the year with injury.

I noticed bookies offering $2.50 to miss the 8 and $2.50 to make top 4.My choice is clear of those two.

Seems the top 4 is under priced if it's priced the same as missing the 8, seems clearly a better chance. What're they paying for us to make the 5-8 range?

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I can't see us going backwards . Plenty of guys in the twos who can only improve. . The only area where we really don't have young emerging players is the ruck . Wouldn't like to see Stef go down. Plus we've brought in 3 who fit and well would probably be top 22 in nearly every team.

It all gets back to injuries to key players and how much opposition teams have improved. Which is beyond our control.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Happy new year everyone, first post for the year and all.
I think Ive recalibrated my expectations this year and it is a new year so the lid is back on, for now.
put the bar up.
i think we can expect us to be in the finals again this year , that should hopefully be a given (touch wood).
The lid will come back off when we can have inside 50's land to advantage or even better a player on a lead or out in the open.
Kaos ball was good but not good enough to win a final .
Also our ball movement coming out of the back was pretty good but lacked someone with the confidence who could kick a dart into the corridor or even a 60mm dart to switch the angle of attack.
Sides like Richmond do these things.
Lid on , could blow off very quickly though .

I think Ive recalibrated my expectations this year and it is a new year so the lid is back on, for now.
put the bar up.
i think we can expect us to be in the finals again this year , that should hopefully be a given (touch wood).
The lid will come back off when we can have inside 50's land to advantage or even better a player on a lead or out in the open.
Also our ball movement coming out of the back was pretty good but lacked someone with the confidence who could kick a dart into the corridor or even a 60mm dart to switch the angle of attack.
I hear you about the leading inside 50.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
put the bar up.

Not sure it's this simple.

In finals the pressure is higher, therefore it is more difficult to quickly move the footy to enter the forward 50 with space for the forwards to lead in. While being able to play a territory game under pressure does hold you in good stead for finals.

I do agree with the quick ball movement though. This will then allow space inside forward 50 for the forwards to lead into. But chaos ball is a good fall back.

Lid is definitely off with this leadership group. We are going to win the flag this year.

The thing that I found hard the last decade or so was the variation in our performance in both the team and individual players. I’d go to/watch games and have no idea of how we’d go or that matter how we’d screw up.

2018 was a turning year for me. Sure we lost a lot, but there was more consistency and less individual performances. Was a lot happier pre games and didn’t have to hide behind the lounge in the 4th quarter as often (and yes, that is a KPI for me).

2019 turned those flashes into flashy but solid performances.

2020 has no limits. The players lost the lid in 2019, and they‘ll show that they’re at the place where consistent winning is easier than finding the damn lid.

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
I'm starting with no lid but slightly p.... off as I cannot get Mich R on my membership card.

Had changed my credit card so my automatic membership thingo wouldn't work so I rang up last week and the young person on the phone said Mich is VERY popular but I he isn't available.

I hope he kicks the winning goal in the GF, wins the Norm Smith and the Brownlow to see what the club does then. Seriously though I think it shows the club has lack of understanding of what the fans think.

One difference since Fagan has been around in pre seasons is the fact that for at least the last two pre seasons we have been having more match practice and having it earlier. Under Leppa and Voss IIRC we would get one or two intra club matches, pre season comp & then straight into it. I could have it wrong as I don't actually ever go and watch training nor is this based off any data, just feels like our players are putting more effort into their fitness so they are conditioned to play games earlier.

Anyway...seems like we were early into the practice matches again so LIDS OFF for me. We should be able to match last years effort at the very least. Hodge on the sidelines + a few best 22/borderline best 22 players + a healthy list puts us in the best possible position to get another home final and win.

THE LID IS OFF!

Having said that, it is important to continue to practice ‘social distancing’ and frequently wash hands thoroughly using soap and water. It is important that you wash hands for as long as it takes to sing the Brisbane Lions club song twice.

The virus bombardment has done my head in and I’ve spent countless hours reading papers and reports and it does’t change anything.

This weeks round is already making me happy and I’ll be watching every single game.

it’s a huge undertaking for the players to isolate themselves, maintain their hygiene and commit to playing in an unknown format at unknown times and destinations. Thanks guys.

During the worst of times we need people to stand up and create a break in the bleak, I hope this works out well for everyone involved.

The virus bombardment has done my head in and I’ve spent countless hours reading papers and reports and it does’t change anything.

This weeks round is already making me happy and I’ll be watching every single game.

it’s a huge undertaking for the players to isolate themselves, maintain their hygiene and commit to playing in an unknown format at unknown times and destinations. Thanks guys.

During the worst of times we need people to stand up and create a break in the bleak, I hope this works out well for everyone involved.
I hope you stay well Gadzorks. Keep healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back