B: Rawlings, Icke, Ackerley
HB: Smith, Colbert, Cowton
C: Armstrong, Ebert, Holt
HF: Furey, Jonas, McCarthy
F: Love, Rocca, Sutton

R: Hale, German, Romero

Int: Greenwood, Spargo, Pratt, Spencer

Emg: Sinclair, Clarkson, Jones

Great thread and something to keep my mind off whether my house is going to burn down today or not.

A large portion of my list are players through the 90’s. It was such an incredible era where we were a top 4 side for near on 10 years. I truely feel sorry for the people who were born after the 90’s or were too young to remember.

Scholl - He was so consistent up both ends of the ground. As a forward in particular he really didn’t get the recognition he deserved, most likely due to Carey and others taking the spotlight. He was a beautiful long kick of the footy and was a great set shot at goal.

R. Smith - Mr reliable down back, tough as nails, consistent and always beat his opponent. He truely deserved a medal around his neck in 96 and it’s a shame his body just fell short in getting him there. You never hear him mentioned too much and he should be more as an all time great of the club.

Mckernan - I think most are aware he was a great player, but I’m not sure people remember or know just how got this bloke was. That 3-4 year period in the mid 90’s is up there with the best football I have ever seen from a player. He was a ruckmen/mid and it was such a delight to go watch him and Carey rip sides apart.
His game in the 99 grand final was criminally underrated also. He had a huge influence on that game particularly when Carlton were sticking with us. When the game was there to be won that day his presence and performance was instrumental.

Laidley - He doesn’t get much recognition and didn’t get much during his playing days either. A bit like smith he was as tough as they come and would generally always beat his opponent. His desperation to win the ball and put his body on the line was a pleasure to watch. For someone not overly gifted with footballing traits, he forged a great career.

Allison - I loved watching him play and he had a beautiful left foot kick. I wouldn’t have him in the top group of small forwards to play the game, but he would definitely be in that second tier, which is why he deserves more recognition. Another one of those players who was a huge part of our success during the 90’s, but you don’t really hear about nowadays.

C.Jones - Unfortunately his career was cut short by injury, but he was as good as any half forward in the game for a 4-5 year period. He was versatile in that he could play on a wing or across half back. In his prime he was one of those types that you would love to have a few running around on game day with his versatility.

Rocca - He was an incredible player over his whole career. He really doesn’t get the recognition he deserves for his career at both clubs. He was one of the best ever forwards at Collingwood and his ability to forge a career after being written off shouldn’t go unrecognised. I think most north fans appreciate how well he performed with us, but I think his career as a whole is severely underrated.

Adams - Again another player who’s career was cut short. Considering he hasn’t been out of the game too long, he already seems like a forgotten man. I loved watching him play and he was definitely underrated during his playing days. He was the ultimate team player crashing in, but offensively was able to also hit the scoreboard and set up in attack.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ross Smith was one of my favourites and I was so disappointed when he missed the 96 flag. Started in the 80’s during a tough era.
Great player who was rarely beaten and a team first player.
He was studying at Vic Uni whilst I was there and the rumour was that Pagan made him choose between uni and footy and given he missed a few training sessions as a result of his studies was left out of the side.
He should have had a premiership medal around his neck, very stiff!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great thread and something to keep my mind off whether my house is going to burn down today or not.

A large portion of my list are players through the 90’s. It was such an incredible era where we were a top 4 side for near on 10 years. I truely feel sorry for the people who were born after the 90’s or were too young to remember.

Scholl - He was so consistent up both ends of the ground. As a forward in particular he really didn’t get the recognition he deserved, most likely due to Carey and others taking the spotlight. He was a beautiful long kick of the footy and was a great set shot at goal.

R. Smith - Mr reliable down back, tough as nails, consistent and always beat his opponent. He truely deserved a medal around his neck in 96 and it’s a shame his body just fell short in getting him there. You never hear him mentioned too much and he should be more as an all time great of the club.

Mckernan - I think most are aware he was a great player, but I’m not sure people remember or know just how got this bloke was. That 3-4 year period in the mid 90’s is up there with the best football I have ever seen from a player. He was a ruckmen/mid and it was such a delight to go watch him and Carey rip sides apart.
His game in the 99 grand final was criminally underrated also. He had a huge influence on that game particularly when Carlton were sticking with us. When the game was there to be won that day his presence and performance was instrumental.

Laidley - He doesn’t get much recognition and didn’t get much during his playing days either. A bit like smith he was as tough as they come and would generally always beat his opponent. His desperation to win the ball and put his body on the line was a pleasure to watch. For someone not overly gifted with footballing traits, he forged a great career.

Allison - I loved watching him play and he had a beautiful left foot kick. I wouldn’t have him in the top group of small forwards to play the game, but he would definitely be in that second tier, which is why he deserves more recognition. Another one of those players who was a huge part of our success during the 90’s, but you don’t really hear about nowadays.

C.Jones - Unfortunately his career was cut short by injury, but he was as good as any half forward in the game for a 4-5 year period. He was versatile in that he could play on a wing or across half back. In his prime he was one of those types that you would love to have a few running around on game day with his versatility.

Rocca - He was an incredible player over his whole career. He really doesn’t get the recognition he deserves for his career at both clubs. He was one of the best ever forwards at Collingwood and his ability to forge a career after being written off shouldn’t go unrecognised. I think most north fans appreciate how well he performed with us, but I think his career as a whole is severely underrated.

Adams - Again another player who’s career was cut short. Considering he hasn’t been out of the game too long, he already seems like a forgotten man. I loved watching him play and he was definitely underrated during his playing days. He was the ultimate team player crashing in, but offensively was able to also hit the scoreboard and set up in attack.

Adams is a good one

Just wanted to add another thing about The Doc Scholl......one of my all time fave North players. I’ve followed us since the 70’s, having followed Malcolm over the SA border around the same time, and cant remember any player, let alone a North player, being as good running flat stick at the ball and marking it without breaking stride. His hands were Incredible.

Rossy Smith had super skills and never lost his feet, all class IMO.

Corzer owned everybody he played on. Unstoppable. I remember the Kouta spoof-fest after the ESS-BLUES Prelim. Corey did that every other week. He was tough as too.

JYD also had a great set of hands. He’d drift in from the side often and just pluck the grab. Read the play like few others.

Fruity roving any pack was a thing of beauty. Timing was off the charts. A bit like Winnie in that he never really appeared to actually “pick“ the ball up.....he just flew through in motion and magically had the pill.

CJ should be the mentor for Mason Wood.......he approached the ball in the air with reckless abandon, absolute gun footballer. No surprise he went back to country footy and kicked bags. Made the skill set required to play this game look easy.

Big Sav wheeling around at CHF and roosting the ball through post high had to be seen to be believed.

Patch was not quite quick enough, not quite big enough, couldn’t kick the ball quite far enough, but geez he could bloody play.
Hard as a cats head and as brave as they come. Whenever he won the ball s**t happened in a good way.

I wanna add 2 more names:

Matty Capuano just didn’t drop marks. I don’t reckon he even double grabbed one his whole career, or I don’t remember him doing so.

Winnie. Hardly under rated, but gotta be up there with our classiest player I’ve ever seen. Able to take the ball in full flight, either via a mark or contested loose ball and just instantly change direction without breaking stride.

Ross Smith was one of my favourites and I was so disappointed when he missed the 96 flag. Started in the 80’s during a tough era.
Great player who was rarely beaten and a team first player.
He was studying at Vic Uni whilst I was there and the rumour was that Pagan made him choose between uni and footy and given he missed a few training sessions as a result of his studies was left out of the side.
He should have had a premiership medal around his neck, very stiff!

Can't agree mate. Was a favourite of mine but had lost two yards of pace between the end of 1995 and the start of 1996.

Adam Simpson
Scott Thompson
Brent Harvey - 10th most Brownlow votes in the history of the competition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved Germo but I don’t reckon he ever tapped into his full potential.

Wasn't quite quick enough.

Right up there with the best running shots for goal that I have ever seen.

Just wanted to add another thing about The Doc Scholl......one of my all time fave North players. I’ve followed us since the 70’s, having followed Malcolm over the SA border around the same time, and cant remember any player, let alone a North player, being as good running flat stick at the ball and marking it without breaking stride. His hands were Incredible.

Rossy Smith had super skills and never lost his feet, all class IMO.

Corzer owned everybody he played on. Unstoppable. I remember the Kouta spoof-fest after the ESS-BLUES Prelim. Corey did that every other week. He was tough as too.

JYD also had a great set of hands. He’d drift in from the side often and just pluck the grab. Read the play like few others.

Fruity roving any pack was a thing of beauty. Timing was off the charts. A bit like Winnie in that he never really appeared to actually “pick“ the ball up.....he just flew through in motion and magically had the pill.

CJ should be the mentor for Mason Wood.......he approached the ball in the air with reckless abandon, absolute gun footballer. No surprise he went back to country footy and kicked bags. Made the skill set required to play this game look easy.

Big Sav wheeling around at CHF and roosting the ball through post high had to be seen to be believed.

Patch was not quite quick enough, not quite big enough, couldn’t kick the ball quite far enough, but geez he could bloody play.
Hard as a cats head and as brave as they come. Whenever he won the ball s**t happened in a good way.

I wanna add 2 more names:

Matty Capuano just didn’t drop marks. I don’t reckon he even double grabbed one his whole career, or I don’t remember him doing so.

Winnie. Hardly under rated, but gotta be up there with our classiest player I’ve ever seen. Able to take the ball in full flight, either via a mark or contested loose ball and just instantly change direction without breaking stride.

Great call on Capuano and I was tossing up whether to add him in or not.
I think playing second fiddle to Mckernan for a period of time and then injuries really hampered his career.
He could have been anything if it wasn’t for bad timing and injury. Maybe it’s a case of what could have been, rather than being underrated (although he did play some great football).

Laidley - when we were up and coming, led from the front by being tough and ruthless, set the tone for a young team
Schwass- won B and Fs when the Duck was flying
Carey - no one can rate him high enough

Can't agree mate. Was a favourite of mine but had lost two yards of pace between the end of 1995 and the start of 1996.

He played every game in 95 and was one of our best that year. Not sure where he placed in the B&F however would’ve been high.
I think he was used as a scapegoat in 96 as he went from playing every game to only 3-4 in our premiership year.
Probably did lose a bit of pace, will agree with you on that, but he was still treated unfairly.

He played every game in 95 and was one of our best that year. Not sure where he placed in the B&F however would’ve been high.
I think he was used as a scapegoat in 96 as he went from playing every game to only 3-4 in our premiership year.
Probably did lose a bit of pace, will agree with you on that, but he was still treated unfairly.
Harshly perhaps, but not necessarily unfairly. It’s hard to argue with Denis when his decisions produced the ultimate football glory.

Ross Smith is a good example of how elite the game is at the highest level. As a kid, he was a highly skilled and quick midfielder. Won a stack of comp B&F's. As an AFL player, he plied his trade as a tough, dour and in the end slow small defender.

The guy that probably cost him his spot in the 96 flag, Stuart Anderson, definitely deserves a mention on this thread. A smooth mover and an elite kick.

The GOAT is underrated?
In a similar vein, I reckon Cunners gets massive unders accross the competion. He struggled a touch early in his career and I recall Brayshaw being critical of him not achieving rising star status. If he played for the filth he'd be talked up to Greg Williams proportions by now.

Ross Smith is a good example of how elite the game is at the highest level. As a kid, he was a highly skilled and quick midfielder. Won a stack of comp B&F's. As an AFL player, he plied his trade as a tough, dour and in the end slow small defender.

The guy that probably cost him his spot in the 96 flag, Stuart Anderson, definitely deserves a mention on this thread. A smooth mover and an elite kick.

To smooth perhaps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back