Electric Cars and Solar Power

Could not find a thread, and just checking whether this fits into lifestyle. I think it does.
Wondering if anyone here is into electric cars.
The Tesla 3 has just been released here in Melbourne, and it was purported to be the cheap, affordable version, hence huge nation-wide interest.
Turns out it will still cost nearly $78K for the non-performance model.
Does anyone own a Leaf?
Will anyone be looking at others as they enter our market- the VW for instance?

Is solar, renewable energy all it is cracked up to be?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Could not find a thread, and just checking whether this fits into lifestyle. I think it does.
Wondering if anyone here is into electric cars.
The Tesla 3 has just been released here in Melbourne, and it was purported to be the cheap, affordable version, hence huge nation-wide interest.
Turns out it will still cost nearly $78K for the non-performance model.
Does anyone own a Leaf?
Will anyone be looking at others as they enter our market- the VW for instance?

Is solar, renewable energy all it is cracked up to be?
Not yet. But Solar power will be more then its cracked up to be around 2030.

Dont buy electric cars until after 2030. If our power is primarily coal driven then electric cars result in more emissions not less. Plus australia doesnt have the adequate electric vehicle infrastructure yet.

Not yet. But Solar power will be more then its cracked up to be around 2030.

Dont buy electric cars until after 2030. If our power is primarily coal driven then electric cars result in more emissions not less. Plus australia doesnt have the adequate electric vehicle infrastructure yet.
2030- I may not be able to drive at that stage!!

Yeah, I wouldn't go buying an electric car at this point.

I'm all on board with the idea of electric vehicles, but the lack of EV infra is a huge downside for me and the main deterrent.

Hopefully soon the market becomes a bit more competitive so we can see fairer prices.

Yeah, I wouldn't go buying an electric car at this point.

I'm all on board with the idea of electric vehicles, but the lack of EV infra is a huge downside for me and the main deterrent.

Hopefully soon the market becomes a bit more competitive so we can see fairer prices.
take a test drive in the Tesla 3.
0-100 in 3.6 seconds!
Tesla has chargers all over and the range is Melbourne to Albury.
The prices are an issue.

And the emissions from extra coal power. They are also an issue.
The sooner we catch up here in every capacity to make electric cars the way to go, the better. It's only time. The current demand for Tesla3's way exceeds supply. It's happening.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The sooner we catch up here in every capacity to make electric cars the way to go, the better. It's only time. The current demand for Tesla3's way exceeds supply. It's happening.
It is happening and it will be a great thing for energy security and the environment in 15 years time. But right now its worse for the environment whilst its powered off black and brown coal electricity. Petrol has lower emissions.

It is happening and it will be a great thing for energy security and the environment in 15 years time. But right now its worse for the environment whilst its powered off black and brown coal electricity. Petrol has lower emissions.
For it to happen in 15 years time properly, steps need to be made now. From little steps...
I get what you're saying, but electric cars NOW are no worse than car fuels given their relatively small number.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
For it to happen in 15 years time properly, steps need to be made now. From little steps...
I get what you're saying, but electric cars NOW are no worse than car fuels given their relatively small number.
If you drive a petrol car now and then switch to electric you will be adding more emissions to the air then if you comtinued drivng petrol. Unfortunately as an australian that is our reality. Go nuts on electric vehicles if you plan on drivng in europe though.

The small steps would be to vote out the libs and vote in the greens if you care about reducng the emissions of power and thus electric vehicles.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Electric cars dont stack up if you are doing it to just save money.
Medium term it will

For me in rural remote area it also doesnt stack up because of range anxiety

It is the future we will all jump on at some stage we just dont know when,it will require subsidies infrastructure and carbon tax to speed the process along

Electric cars dont stack up if you are doing it to just save money.
Medium term it will

For me in rural remote area it also doesnt stack up because of range anxiety

It is the future we will all jump on at some stage we just dont know when,it will require subsidies infrastructure and carbon tax to speed the process along
Tesla 3 range 460 km (standard) to 620 km (long range).
The rest are nowhere near as good

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Tesla 3 range 460 km (standard) to 620 km (long range).
The rest are nowhere near as good
Doesn't stack up financially for me either as I spend about $300 a year on fuel doing a few 3 hour round trips for shopping.
It would take a long time to recoup the initial purchase price/investment
My car purchases are not really ego driven,I usually buy a second hand car in good nick and drive them until the repairs cost more than the car, then its time to get another one.

I've looked at hybrids but there isn't enough stop start motoring to charge the batteries in a regional setting.

If I drive long enough I imagine my next car or the one after will be at least a second hand hybrid, if not electric or fuel cell....depending on price, condition, fuel costs and circumstances

Doesn't stack up financially for me either as I spend about $300 a year on fuel doing a few 3 hour round trips for shopping.
It would take a long time to recoup the initial purchase price/investment
My car purchases are not really ego driven,I usually buy a second hand car in good nick and drive them until the repairs cost more than the car, then its time to get another one.

I've looked at hybrids but there isn't enough stop start motoring to charge the batteries in a regional setting.

If I drive long enough I imagine my next car or the one after will be at least a second hand hybrid, if not electric or fuel cell....depending on price, condition, fuel costs and circumstances
My 2008 Honda Euro Accord costs on average $100 to fill with PUL. I may have to do this every 2-3 weeks. Still a great car, and crazily, Honda has ceased its production, bur it will be time in the next year or 2 to go Electric I suspect,

Typo $300?

Last edited:
I’m thinking of a EV or PHEV ... looking at a IONIQ or maybe KONA, range is an issue for me as I live in regional VIC. just fact finding and researching at the moment and I’m finding things change fast new cars coming on the market etc

I’m thinking of a EV or PHEV ... looking at a IONIQ or maybe KONA, range is an issue for me as I live in regional VIC. just fact finding and researching at the moment and I’m finding things change fast new cars coming on the market etc
The Kia sounds like the best option of the lot reading reviews, but we probably won't get to see one given the lack of policy for CO2 regulations here

Back