What radio station do you listen to?

Remove this Banner Ad

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
In this age of Spotify do people still listen to the radio?

As a teenager I was absolutely glued to the radio...

I'd sit alone and watch your light
My only friend through teenage nights

These days if ever I listen to the radio I'm probably more interested in news and information - RNZ, RN, BBC...

I'll tune into JJJ when in the mood... but mostly if I feel like some music in the background

4KQ's my station.

When I'm not listening to Spotify or podcasts, these are my 12 presets on my car radio and any digital radios I have.

1 - ABC Newsradio
2 - WSFM
3 - 2Day Oldskool
4 - ABC Sydney
5 - 2GB
6 - Macquarie Sports Radio
7 - ABC Grandstand
8 - Smooth FM
9 - KIIS 90s
10 - WSFM 80s
11 - SWR 99.9
12 - 2RPH

When I'm back in Newcastle, I only listen to ABC 1233 or Newsradio. In the Upper Hunter, it's either ABC or Newsradio or 2NM.

Whats with JJJ?
besides a track here and there...pure unadulterated utrter drivel.
I mean seriously, barely what Id call music.
How far we have fallen.

Whats with JJJ?
besides a track here and there...pure unadulterated utrter drivel.
I mean seriously, barely what Id call music.
How far we have fallen.
just a guess but maybe it's not them, its you.
triple J have always catered to certain demographic that you're probably not a part of anymore.

If I have to listen to the radio, it's triple R or PBS - if nothing's on those stations I might try Smooth or Gold FM but it doesn't generally stay on there for long
RRR and PBS are my go to stations as well. if there's nothing on those 2 that i like then i'll give 4ZZZ a shot.

just a guess but maybe it's not them, its you.
triple J have always catered to certain demographic that you're probably not a part of anymore.
Good point and certainly true.
Dosent have anything to do with the utter crap that passes as "music" they play. Crap is crap. nothing to do with demographics,

Good point and certainly true.
Dosent have anything to do with the utter crap that passes as "music" they play. Crap is crap. nothing to do with demographics,
but if you were 18 yrs old today perhaps the music they play wouldn't sound like crap to you?

I’m an old campaigner, (50) and listened to the Js from when I was 16 until about 5 years ago. Yeah, I know, getting old and all that, but they just seem so soft these days.

There was a good doco on them, a while back, covering the stations history from the very beginnings, and someone said the same thing, along the lines of they’ve lost their edge, the music, is too quiet, too boring, non threatening, no matter the genre.

I haven’t quoted whoever it was very well, but I remember thinking “Yes, you’ve nailed exactly how I feel!”

Oh, and I know that I have definitely grown out of new music played on an alternative/indie station (or whatever JJJ is labeled as these days) when they play stuff like the utter crap that is Tones and I!!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back