Rate the best performing clubs of the AFL era (1990-). Looking beyond number of premierships and at overall performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Says you. Pull your head in.
I'm not trying to be offensive.

Your team is in the same bracket as crows, north, swans, Essendon and Magpies as they all won 2 flags each.

It's the lack of finals between 1990-2012 that has not Done your team favours.

Saying that, Richmond will jump above all those sides if your team gets one more flag.

This is a silly way to measure what team is the most successful.

By your standard, Richmond with 2 flags and and 6 other appearances in finals is greater than teams like Adelaide and Essendon or Collingwood who all have two flags, additional grand final appearances and many top 8 finishes. That is a ludicrous belief to hold.

As an eagle I love that we have 4 flags, but I am also extremely proud as a fan of our achievement of most appearances in finals and most finals played. Does that make up for the extra flag hawthorn has? No it doesn’t. If Brisbane win next year and you say that Brisbane is greater because they have a 4/5 record compared to our 4/7 record in grand finals you will be, and should be laughed at.

In order to get a proper ranking, we should allocate points per achievement for eg:

Premiership: 5 points
Grand final: 2 point
Minor premiership: 1 point
Making finals: 0.5 points

Then we could have a quantitative measure for success to determine a ranking.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Quantitative, but still somewhat arbitrary

Interesting points system you got there.

Making finals is 0.5 points but not winning a final doesnt count.

I dont mind your proper points ranking..... But how about this.....

Premiership: 5 points
Grand final: 2 point
Minor premiership: 2 points
Winning a final: 1 point
Making finals: 0.5 points

That would make that interesting.
Needs more points for finishing 9th. And for win streaks at MCG.

The problem with a lot of peoples blind logic here is Geelong were 1 quarter off having 4 premierships (and thus Hawthorn having 4 premierships). The rule that resulted in that win was changed swiftly the following year. Geelong, Hawthorn and WC would've each had 4 premierships and Geelongs records in almost every other aspect would've trumped them all

The problem with a lot of peoples blind logic here is Geelong were 1 quarter off having 4 premierships (and thus Hawthorn having 4 premierships). The rule that resulted in that win was changed swiftly the following year. Geelong, Hawthorn and WC would've each had 4 premierships and Geelongs records in almost every other aspect would've trumped them all
Shoulda, woulda, coulda, didn’t.
You were closer to losing 09 than winning 08 anyway.

I've always felt that 1990 was such an arbitrary rebadging of the competition. Surely the AFL era truly began in 1987 when the league actually expanded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always felt that 1990 was such an arbitrary rebadging of the competition. Surely the AFL era truly began in 1987 when the league actually expanded.
Depends on where you want to begin.

1982 is when the league went interstate for the first time with the relocation of South Melbourne to Sydney.

The first AFL draft was held in 1986 in the lead up to the 1987 season.

1987 saw the introduction of West Coast and the Brisbane Bears.

1990 is the first year of when the league became known as the "AFL".

Depends on where you want to begin.

1982 is when the league went interstate for the first time with the relocation of South Melbourne to Sydney.

The first AFL draft was held in 1986 in the lead up to the 1987 season.

1987 saw the introduction of West Coast and the Brisbane Bears.

1990 is the first year of when the league became known as the "AFL".

Hawks supporters are happy to go with any of the above :)

Flags: Hawthorn (5) (followed by West Coast (4), Geelong and Brisbane = on 3)
GFs: Geelong = West Coast (7)
Finals Appearances: West Coast (21) followed by Geelong (21)

It's hard to argue with the top 3 clubs: Hawthorn, West Coast, Geelong Richmond, Richmond and Richmond
I argue that over time premierships fade away. I mean who really gives a s**t about a premiership that happened 5 years ago. It might have personal significance but to the majority of people it's worth very little. The last 3-4 premierships have significant weight. The previous premiership has the greatest weight but from the moment the next season starts, there is a significant drop off because all that matters from then is the current season and premiership.

I argue that over time premierships fade away. I mean who really gives a s**t about a premiership that happened 5 years ago. It might have personal significance but to the majority of people it's worth very little. The last 3-4 premierships have significant weight. The previous premiership has the greatest weight but from the moment the next season starts, there is a significant drop off because all that matters from then is the current season and premiership.

All I know for sure is there will be two massive improvers in season 2020.

Richmond.

And Richmond VFL.

I would argue that recency and relevance are different things. I agree that as each season begins, most supporters have a refreshed sense of optimism because every club starts off with 0 premiership points and no-one knows for certain who is going to be good and who is going to be s**t.

That doesn't mean that past premierships are not relevant though.

Premierships sell memberships, memberships increase revenue, these clubs then have more $$ to spend on facilities, support staff etc. This in turn helps to attract the best on and off field talent to these successful clubs and also builds a culture of success. This effect lasts a lot longer than 3-4 years and it is cumulative. This is why clubs are referred to as "destination clubs" - players (and coaches etc) want to get to these clubs as they have a proven track record of success.

And you were a score review system away from not winning the 2009 flag at all. At least the scoreline in the 2008 GF was in line with the rules at the time, and a lot of them would have still been legal rushed behinds under the new rule anyway (less so under further interpretation changes nearly a decade later).

Hilarious thread. More of my posts deleted. Even on Bigfooty the umpires try to keep the West Coast Illegals ahead of the game. Can’t cope with one fringe Tiger supporter running rings around about 20 of their “elite” posters, so they do the only thing they know how to do....cry to the umpire. 😭😭😭

Weak Coast Eagles.

Whinge Coast Eagles.

West Cry Eagles.

Take your pick.

This is my first interaction with Whinge Coast supporters on this thread. I have never met one before, I don’t think there are any over here in Australia. 😂.

show me where eagles supporters are whinging in this thread

wipe your chin mate, you're embarrassing yourself

Hilarious thread. More of my posts deleted. Even on Bigfooty the umpires try to keep the West Coast Illegals ahead of the game. Can’t cope with one fringe Tiger supporter running rings around about 20 of their “elite” posters, so they do the only thing they know how to do....cry to the umpire. 😭😭😭

Weak Coast Eagles.

Whinge Coast Eagles.

West Cry Eagles.

Take your pick.

This is my first interaction with Whinge Coast supporters on this thread. I have never met one before, I don’t think there are any over here in Australia. 😂.
No one is whinging here, WCE have been a successful team over the past 32 years to win 4 flags. Same as Richmond have done well to win their 2 flags.

I cannot, because it is done surreptitiously to the moderators. I make a perfectly sensible post, they make a pathetic attempt to answer it, I destroy their arguments with a few taps at my keyboard, they go whingeing and whining to the moderators because it is a bit too tough to stand on their own two feet, it is just not the whinge coast way. My posts get deleted. How the f*ck did you weak lot ever win that 2018 Bland Final against Collingw....ah no need to answer, it has now become evident, they just don’t win them. One in 62 seasons attests to that. Never seen anything more boring than that last quarter, when everyone on the world knows the result all the way, as no chance Lollingwood can win from any position. Even Jack DarlingI’mhome couldn’t choke it for you against the master chokers, despite her best efforts. ;)
How did we win the 2018 grand final i am pretty sure we were in front at the end of the game :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back