News 2020 Pre-season - New and Improved after Rd 1 with Rd2 in June. ***

Remove this Banner Ad

If you think O'Connor is slow, you need to have another look. His ball use has also improved markedly...

He will play plenty of games this year.
I'm putting out a bounty for anyone who can actually provide objective proof that any player in the AFL is slow.

Spoiler warning - you can't.

Just looking at the Sam Simpson footage, it looked like Parsons owned him in the one on one contests... :D

Interesting that Selwood called him a High-Half Forward or Winger type... I thought he would be a classic Rover if he's good enough, but not sure on that. I don't think he has the natural forward craft creativity to play mainly as a forward.

I don't share your perspective on this.
Many many many things have to align to win a flag.
Once again, we didn't make the grade in September.
It was for many varied reasons, but I don't believe player management was a big factor.
The proof is in the pudding. No we didn't win the flag, but we got very very close.

Just looking at the Sam Simpson footage, it looked like Parsons owned him in the one on one contests... :D

Interesting that Selwood called him a High-Half Forward or Winger type... I thought he would be a classic Rover if he's good enough, but not sure on that. I don't think he has the natural forward craft creativity to play mainly as a forward.
Where do you see that footage?

It was an strange highlights package. It looked like a Parson highlight reel lol.

It was an strange highlights package. It looked like a Parson highlight reel lol.
I like Simpson heaps. I reckon in the VFL players just aren't quick enough to take advantage of his evasivness and creativity.
That and always tries to do way to much.
But then again Im probably wrong cause he should of done a fair bit more by now if true.

He SHOULD have been an AA defender this year. He will never be an AA ruck, midfielder or winger and should never be put in those positions.

Not having him on Lynch cost us a Prelim. How stupid does the MC have to be not to keep him back there?

Our best defensive line up next year involves Kolo on one KPF, Blicavs on one KPF, O'Connor and Stewart permanently down there and rotating either quick guys like Clark off HBF or elite ball users like Duncan off HBF.

If we fail next year its because we have guys like Bews and O'Connor off HBF, where they aren't pacey or good ball users, or taking guys like Kolo and Blicavs and moving them elsewhere. Like the wing (both failed there) or the ruck (moving Blicavs hurt us in the QF and PF).

He should never NEED to be moved.

We now have better equipped players for the wing who are faster than him, and if we play them Blicavs should be behind Stanley, Esava and Jenkins in the ruck.
So wrong on O'Connor he has pace and will be a first in best 22 next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Simpson needs a lot more work still... His hand-balling looks too loopy and slow, and I'm not sure of his opposite foot either. Sure he can look classy at times in traffic, but I don't think he's Sam Mitchell level. I think the club sees him more a outside midfielder, but tbh, he skill is evasiveness is best suited as an inside midfielder. However, I just don't think he is good enough for the inside midfielder role at AFL level; at VFL yes. But happy to be proven wrong.

I probably would've preferred Cunico on the list as an outside midfielder, but I understand why they cut him, his body may not be robust enough for AFL.

No one wants this, least of all the club. For me - a lot went wrong for us at the wrong time due to personnel being unavailable.

Agree, but i will also contend that, at various times, we sabotaged ourselves by trying to be too cute at the selection table and in the coaches box.

Anyhow, 2019 is done, and the record book will simply show that we blew yet another finals series.

I'm really keen to see how our MC and coaching crew demonstrate the lessons they've hopefully learned.

IMO Parsons is close. He does have some good skills in open spaces (not a small forward) can create chances for others and has pace too.

To win a spot though he has to play tougher. For mine, too often, he relies on the deft touch when the full body behind the ball is called for.

Lets hope he backs himself and steps up. We need every player contributing.

IMO Parsons is close. He does have some good skills in open spaces (not a small forward) can create chances for others and has pace too.

To win a spot though he has to play tougher. For mine, too often, he relies on the deft touch when the full body behind the ball is called for.

Lets hope he backs himself and steps up. We need every player contributing.
OOC so it's now or never

Second part of the bolded "Or good ball users".

I addressed that....its improved markedly....last year with an 80% DE...he's 22 and started from behind the 8 ball....and he's resilient...23 games last year.

Personally I think his progress is little short of remarkable. And, he's as hard as a cats head.

He'll play plenty next year and could well become a 100-200 game player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back