Greatest Premier League team

Which is the best team to grace the Premier League?

• Total voters

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Let’s be real about that invincible team, they got blown away by Chelsea the following season and the season after that they only just scrapped into the top four courtesy of some team eating a dodgy lasagne. I’m not talking their achievements down, but for me they’re probably not one of the five best prem teams of all time. Had some great players as already mentioned, but a lot of average ones in there too

Let’s be real about that invincible team, they got blown away by Chelsea the following season and the season after that they only just scrapped into the top four courtesy of some team eating a dodgy lasagne. I’m not talking their achievements down, but for me they’re probably not one of the five best prem teams of all time. Had some great players as already mentioned, but a lot of average ones in there too
Not being in the top 5 premier league teams ever is a far cry from your comment that they probably wouldn't finish in the current top 4

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
And where were Chelsea the season before?

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Pre-Jose, might have been pre Roman too. They still managed to knock you out of the CL that year though
We're talking about a team's achievements in the Premier League though.

Just like City winning with how many points it was doesn't take shine off them not winning the CL.

Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Al-Nassr FC
Yeah they were pretty much overrated. Being undefeated in the EPL doesn't mean much, for example only Man United was good back then and I guess they just got lucky against Man U that year. IN the CL Arsenal got rekt.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’ll stop being slightly disingenuous to the Arsenal invincible side and after giving it some thought I’ve come up with the definitive top 10 teams of the prem era. I’m not ranking it on one season alone, but more on the seasons the team peaked in. In reverse order.

10 Leicester 2015/16. They have to be there because the achievement outranks anything seen yet

9 Man Utd 1992-95. Peaked in 93/94, but lost out to Blackburn the following season

8 Chelsea 2008-12. This was an evolving team that probably peaked in 2009/10 under Ancelotti but arguably biggest achievement came in 2012 when they won the CL

7 Man City 2010-14. Spread across two managers that delivered two title wins, but by and large the same side. Can’t be denied a place in the top 10

6 Man Utd 1996-2003. Again an evolving team over a number of seasons but essentially this was the “Fergie Fledglings” side whose greatest achievement came in 98/99 with the proper treble. Team probably got even better over the following two seasons though before being knocked of its perch by Arsenal

5 Arsenal 2000-2006. The Invincible team who won two titles and reached a CL final in 2006 but was well past its best by then. Some say introduced modern football to England

4 Chelsea 2004-08. Peaked in the two 2 PL winning seasons of 04/05 & 05/06 where they set new records but was usurped by the United team of the late 00’s who also beat them in the 2008 CL final.

3 Man Utd 2006-13. The best team Fergie built. 5 league titles in 7 seasons plus 3 CL final appearances in 4 although only winning one of those. Fading team still managed to win a title in 2013 despite being long past it best.

2 Man City 2017-19. Maybe this team has already come to the end, or maybe not. I think a new team will be assembled over the sumner. Two domestic campaigns that yielded 5 trophies out of a possible six. Surely the records set cannot be surpassed...

(or can it...)

1 Liverpool 2018-present. This team is the best we’ve seen yet. It has to be. People may scoff, but the records are going to be rewritten over the next couple of years at least. People may think I’m trying a jinx here (and they’d be right) but all in all this team is the strongest we’ve seen with a manager who at present walks on water

1 Liverpool 2018-present. This team is the best we’ve seen yet. It has to be. People may scoff, but the records are going to be rewritten over the next couple of years at least. People may think I’m trying a jinx here (and they be right) but all in all this team is the strongest we’ve seen with a manager who at present walks on water
What have they done with the real Wealstone? You sure it's not due to VAR, luck and being kissed on the you know what?

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I respectfully disagree.

You can't mention Arsenal 2000 and The Invincible's in the same breath.
Don’t be daft. 2000 was the year Henry came to the club, and that was pretty much the invincible side in place. Don’t forget that invincible side won the league in 01/02 and probably should have won it in 02/03 also. Teams don’t just last one season you know

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Don’t be daft. 2000 was the year Henry came to the club, and that was pretty much the invincible side in place. Don’t forget that invincible side won the league in 01/02 and probably should have won it in 02/03 also. Teams don’t just last one season you know
Nah, between 2000 and 2002ish the club was in transition.

99/00 we finished 18 (!) points behind United, and we were second.
00/01 we finished 10 points behind them, also in second

We definitely should have won it in 02/03 and it still burns me we didn't.

We probably could have won it in 99 too but after we lost to United in the FA Cup, all the damage was done.

01/02 we also didn't have Lehmann, Ashley Cole and Gilberto, three massive players in that Invincibles side.

I am reading John Cross's book on Wenger at the moment, and Vieira was close to leaving in 00/01 unless we significantly strengthened/challenged. Campbell coming across was enormous in us winning those two titles.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Nah, between 2000 and 2002ish the club was in transition.

99/00 we finished 18 (!) points behind United, and we were second.
00/01 we finished 10 points behind them, also in second

We definitely should have won it in 02/03 and it still burns me we didn't.

We probably could have won it in 99 too but after we lost to United in the FA Cup, all the damage was done.

01/02 we also didn't have Lehmann, Ashley Cole and Gilberto, three massive players in that Invincibles side.

I am reading John Cross's book on Wenger at the moment, and Vieira was close to leaving in 00/01 unless we significantly strengthened/challenged. Campbell coming across was enormous in us winning those two titles.
This thread is about the greatest team, not greatest season. Great teams win multiple titles and have longevity, like the Liverpool teams in the 70s and 80s or the two dominant Fergie teams.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My reasons for putting Liverpool top is obviously tongue slightly in cheek, but I actually do expect them to go on and be regarded as the best ever PL side. I can’t see anyone stopping them in the next couple of seasons at least. It’s up to them to fulfill on that promise

Lol no it doesn't. The exact opposite in fact.
1578446745603.png

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Eras work when talking about a club in isolation but you can't compare them from club to club. because the general mandates (same manager, core team, similar style, a certain trajectory) can last two seasons for one club or eight for another. and that becomes a bit unfair.

Back