Resource 2022 NMFC Membership thread - Final Tally: 50,191

Remove this Banner Ad

My kids were running round this morning saying:

Wow when I'm 58/54 North will be 200 years old. Asked me how old I'll be but I didn't feel like telling them I'd be unlikely to be around.

That 150 edition has made them feel part of something much bigger than they realised.

Tossing up what to do for membership this year.
My partner is a Brisbane supporter but she still enjoys going to North games, but not enough to justify buying 2 premium memberships (especially with the 4 games in Tas) and I can get free access to members for most MCG games.
Given we have 8 home games and 3 MCG games I can get a 10 game flexi membership for $200 and the both of us can get to 8 games together for the season.
that leaves 14 regular season games to watch on TV.
Of our pathetic amount of free to air TV slots, I think only round 10 and Marvel is a non home game / non mcg game.
As such I need to find a way to watch most the season....
Unfortunately I live in a dry area, so no sport bars/pubs within walking distance so that makes streaming/cable the best option.

Has anyone found a work around for streaming the telstra streaming service on the TV?
tossing up whether to send a north melbourne cap/scarf to an overseas friend and sign them up to an international membership and watch via VPN or get Kayo....

How is everyone else watching our away games?

Tossing up what to do for membership this year.
My partner is a Brisbane supporter but she still enjoys going to North games, but not enough to justify buying 2 premium memberships (especially with the 4 games in Tas) and I can get free access to members for most MCG games.
Given we have 8 home games and 3 MCG games I can get a 10 game flexi membership for $200 and the both of us can get to 8 games together for the season.
that leaves 14 regular season games to watch on TV.
Of our pathetic amount of free to air TV slots, I think only round 10 and Marvel is a non home game / non mcg game.
As such I need to find a way to watch most the season....
Unfortunately I live in a dry area, so no sport bars/pubs within walking distance so that makes streaming/cable the best option.

Has anyone found a work around for streaming the telstra streaming service on the TV?
tossing up whether to send a north melbourne cap/scarf to an overseas friend and sign them up to an international membership and watch via VPN or get Kayo....

How is everyone else watching our away games?

If you love Sports just get Kayo.

I am ditching Poxtel this year and going to it...unless Poxtel give me something worth staying for when I make the call in a fortnight. It would have to be the whole package I am thinking.

If you love Sports just get Kayo.

I am ditching Poxtel this year and going to it...unless Poxtel give me something worth staying for when I make the call in a fortnight. It would have to be the whole package I am thinking.

Yeah, looking at it, it does seem the better deal.... no lock in contract, so If I use it purely for the AFL season it is basically the same price as the AFL international subscription anyway and Mrs Coalface can watch her Intl Cycling and South American Soccer.

And given the whole dry area situation I've set up a home brew kegerator in the lounge room so it's going to be a s**t load cheaper than going to the pub anyway.

crisis over.

Yeah, looking at it, it does seem the better deal.... no lock in contract, so If I use it purely for the AFL season it is basically the same price as the AFL international subscription anyway and Mrs Coalface can watch her Intl Cycling and South American Soccer.

And given the whole dry area situation I've set up a home brew kegerator in the lounge room so it's going to be a s**t load cheaper than going to the pub anyway.

crisis over.

Seems like a good plan to me mate.

crisis over.

A dry area? Where are you Camberwell?

Box Hill, closest thing a pub is the RSL but they only have free to air TV

Ha still?!

I can remember venturing over there in the late 1980's and you had to go to the next big Pub east of Box Hill to get a counter meal.

Do you like have sly grog and gangsters?

Why is this still the case?

crisis over.
From personal experience I can tell you that kayo and home brew go very well together!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a missed call from NMFC a few minutes ago.

Rang back to a recorded message.

I hope they are not looking for old Raffle Tickets.

Anyone else had any calls?

Yeah, received a call just prior to Christmas and you’re on the money as it was offering me the opportunity to purchase expensive raffle tickets. I couldn’t say “yeah nah” quickly enough.

Yeah, received a call just prior to Christmas and you’re on the money as it was offering me the opportunity to purchase expensive raffle tickets. I couldn’t say “yeah nah” quickly enough.
I got one yesterday re expensive raffle tix.

I have had these calls in the past and they put the big friendly guilt trip on. Apparently they’re an external third party that do it for all Clubs.
Pathetic

Ha still?!

I can remember venturing over there in the late 1980's and you had to go to the next big Pub east of Box Hill to get a counter meal.

Do you like have sly grog and gangsters?

Why is this still the case?

Laws go back to the prohibition era, in fact the dry area reaches it centenary this year - ....Yay. The laws have apparently been quite difficult to repeal and there are still groups like the Dry Area Preservation Society that lobby for it to be retained!

It has improved though, it's now much easier to get a liquor licence for a cafe or restaurant than it was even 5 years ago. There are now bottle shops and licenced cafes but no pubs. There is even a cafe at the Box Hill station/shopping centre area that is more of a bar than cafe but it's a motley crew that assemble there....

Just googled an article about it and this is particularly wild.....

"In days past, residents were required to attend a polling place to vote on a restaurant's bid for a liquor licence, and were fined for not doing so.

But laws have loosened over time, with restaurants slowly granted the right to a licence without a community vote. It was only in 2015 that Boroondara residents were no longer required to vote on restaurant liquor licence applications, although polls are still required for pub and club licence applications."

I'm sure there are developers just waiting for a full repeal who have sites landbanked for pubs, though for now it's pretty ******* shite!

Anyway, I'll get around to getting my bottom shelf flexi10 membership and kayo sport package and resign myself to the home pub for this season and hope things improve next year.

I come in to a decent quid and I'll build an old school North supporters bar.

Pots: 3 bucks (No "designer" beers)
Mixed grill: 20 bucks

...........and NO hipsters!

1578522832118.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back