Opinion Footy was better with Channel 10's 5 minute warning

Was footy better with the 5 minute warning?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari

I'm going to use a couple of examples particularly close to my own heart, the 2006 and 2018 West Coast premierships.

For those who may not remember or weren't old enough to remember - Channel 10 used to change the traditional countdown clock seen on all modern AFL telecasts to a count-up clock for the final 5 minutes of matches they televised.

5min.PNG 5min 2.PNG

This gave viewers at home a similar level of suspense to those who were at the ground. It meant that viewers didn't know when the siren would go, as we all know the count-up clock doesn't stop for stoppages and scores.

In blowouts this was largely redundant, but for close, nailbitting affairs like the 2006 Grand Final, it got the heart racing just a little bit more. Losing an idea of when the siren would go made me personally sit on the edge of my seat right up until the last stoppage on Sydney's right forward flank. When the siren went it was a release of pure elation.

Contrast this to the 2018 Grand Final, where once the ball went out of play in West Coast's right forward pocket we knew the game was done, as we knew there was under 10 seconds left thanks to 7's traditional countdown clock. At this point my family all started hugging and ya'hooing as we knew the game was done. Had the 5 minute warning still been in use, we would've still been glued to the tele. It would've made an already adrenaline rushing afternoon go up another notch. I may have actually died without the clock in this match.

Just had this exact conversation with someone the other day. They didn’t like the 5 minute warning, they preferred to know exactly how long to go. Myself, I found it far more suspenseful when you don’t know how long to go. Like when you’re at the ground.

The conclusion to the epic ‘13 PF, for example, would have been even more exciting if we had no idea how long to go when Varcoe kicked the final point...

I destroyed a phone trying to use the stop watch function to work out the time left in the 2006 Qualifying Final. Siren went and it was in my hand and losing by 1 point after the previous year's grand final, you can bet it met the end of it's life by being thrown against the wall.

Suffice to say, I'm not a fan of the 5 minute warning.

Didn’t mind the old Channel 10 format but I don’t see it as an issue either way.

Slightly off topic but what’s actually an issue is players not knowing the time remaining. Forget the suspense, it’s just amateurish and completely unprofessional that all involved are kept unaware of something so critical.

Appreciate that our game is unique and I’m not one to preach changes just to be in line with American sports, but in the case of a count down clock at the ground/arena there’s a good reason why they all have it.

Didn’t mind the old Channel 10 format but I don’t see it as an issue either way.

Slightly off topic but what’s actually an issue is players not knowing the time remaining. Forget the suspense, it’s just amateurish and completely unprofessional that all involved are kept unaware of something so critical.

Appreciate that our game is unique and I’m not one to preach changes just to be in line with American sports, but in the case of a count down clock at the ground/arena there’s a good reason why they all have it.
Trainers communicate it to players where possible, the Eagles players around the final stoppage were all aware of the time remaining.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be interested to hear peoples arguments against the idea

I dislike people mandating their personal preferences on others. Ideally both options should be available and each consumer can chose how they consume a product. Low tech idea if u don’t like the count down clock just put a tissue box or something over it haha

too gimmicky for my liking
In the old days of broadcasting they had no idea eactly how long was left, they would just pan the camera to the clock and show how long the quarter had been running. The people at the ground don't know how long there is to go, radio broadcasts 80+ years ago didn't know how long there was to go.....the real gimmick was showing people exactly how long to go..

Anyway I loved the 5 minute warning, bring it back

Back