News Update: Confirmed - Victoria v Allstars, February 28th, Marvel Stadium, broadcast on 7 & Fox

Remove this Banner Ad

Official game day thread for the Vic v All-Stars match:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, next year should be WA v Big V.
South Australia can play NSW/ACT Rams as they not good enough match up for the top level states.
Tasmania can play Queensland in Hobart.
Three divisions.
If you win you get to play higher division the next year and so on.
No the big V must be included in an all stars team so vic fans can see how hollow it is to be in a hybrid team

No opinion either way other than not wanting players to get injured. Expecting it to be like the NBA All Star game with lots of scoring and bugger all tackling or pressure.

Simply looking at the best 22's show how mismatched the game would be. It would essentially be an AFL team up against a lower quality VFL team.
Looks a mismatch but at moment but so does SA v Vic. Each state has to play someone. Until Queensland or Tasmania beat the other they start in lower division and stay there until they win. Cycles , just like New Zealand a mismatch against Aussies in recent Test series. Sometimes you going to get thrashed. All part of learning curve.

No the big V must be included in an all stars team so vic fans can see how hollow it is to be in a hybrid team
Never going to happen. Victoria invented the game. True representative footy for each state is next step in not too distant future, hopefully.
Step in right direction having one state with team this year. Hopefully five more states get a team within a few years. Then the game will be far healthier when state football at end of every summer is part of the football calendar.

Looks a mismatch but at moment but so does SA v Vic. Each state has to play someone. Until Queensland or Tasmania beat the other they start in lower division and stay there until they win. Cycles , just like New Zealand a mismatch against Aussies in recent Test series. Sometimes you going to get thrashed. All part of learning curve.

Terms of tiers i would go with

Tier 1
Victoria

Tier 2
Western Australia

Tier 3
South Australia
NSW/ACT
Queensland

Tier 4
Tasmania
Northern Territory

Tier 1
Victoria

Tier 2
Western Australia

Tier 3
South Australia
NSW/ACT
Queensland

Tier 4
Tasmania
Northern Territory

Fair view but if going to want a regular format that allows the smaller states a chance to get near playing a Vic side ever, you cannot have it 4 tiers and make it work well.
Plus Big V has to play someone in our tier so WA should be it to at least start with.

Hopefully the clubs are more reasonable than that. If not I hope the AFL starts punishing the dickish clubs.

They didn't when SOO was a 'real' thing, it's hard to imagine them doing it now.

Problem was/is always that it's too hard to determine which excuses are valid, especially during pre season (so you can't even require them to miss the week before or after).

That said, I dare say they'll have preseason rules and behaviors in place, so extended benches, some limiting of minutes, relatively soft contact, etc. All of which will make clubs more likely to take the risk.

Would have been cool if they got 50 players to sign up, picked 2 captains out of them, and then got them to pick players one by one on the night like at lunch time at school. Give them 10 minutes after the teams are picked to talk tactics, then just get into it. You wouldn't have all of these lesser-Australians complaining about definitions, and you'd probably end up with a pretty open game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have been cool if they got 50 players to sign up, picked 2 captains out of them, and then got them to pick players one by one on the night like at lunch time at school. Give them 10 minutes after the teams are picked to talk tactics, then just get into it. You wouldn't have all of these lesser-Australians complaining about definitions, and you'd probably end up with a pretty open game.

Then no one could really go for any team. Victoria vs All Stars is not perfect but at least there is an obvious team everyone can pick to cheer for.

Tier 1
Victoria

Tier 2
Western Australia

Tier 3
South Australia
NSW/ACT
Queensland

Tier 4
Tasmania
Northern Territory

Something like this is probably the best solution if SOO was to return. 6 states, sorry NT, unless you split up Vic Country and Metro. Then have teams promoted and relegated from games 1, 2, 3 each year as below. You get an "Origin" weekend, Friday/Saturday nights and Sunday.

Example of how it would work

1578616013143.png

Something like this is probably the best solution if SOO was to return. 6 states, sorry NT, unless you split up Vic Country and Metro. Then have teams promoted and relegated from games 1, 2, 3 each year as below. You get an "Origin" weekend, Friday/Saturday nights and Sunday.

View attachment 804135

I like that idea. Is not perfect but I think it would provide a real State of Origin feel. I also think NSW/ACT has a real chance of beating SA. In fact I think NSW/ACT would go in as favourites.

Nobody has yet to explain how it isn't state of origin.

You are picked for the team based on your state of origin. If you originated in Vic you can player for them, if you originated in another state you play for the All-Stars.

Its still state of origin, its just not the state of origin we all wanted.

State of origin invented by a western australian iirc
Yes, the idea invented by some club official in West Australia. Never been followed fully to the letter I believe.
Mike Fitzpatrick played for West Australia and wore the Big V too despite being after idea invented. Terry Daniher played for NSW and Victoria.
So have others. Barry Mitchell from Victoria played against Victoria for New South Wales in 1990 simply because he was playing for Swans in Sydney at the time...Jason Dunstall from Queensland played for Big V in famous thrashing of SA at MCG in 1989. Just about every state game I seen has some anomalies.

Still unclear whom Eddie Betts can play for. Born in SA but under age footy when he drafted was from Calder Cannons in Victoria. He could end of on either side on Feb 28

Last edited:
Yes, the idea invented by some club official in West Australia. Never been followed fully to the letter I believe.
Mike Fitzpatrick played for West Australia and wore the Big V too despite being after idea invented. Terry Daniher played for NSW and Victoria.
So have others. Barry Mitchell from Victoria played against Victoria for New South Wales in 1990 simply because he was playing for Swans in Sydney at the time...Jason Dunstall from Queensland plated for Big V in famous thrashing of SA at MCG in 1989. Just about every state game I seen has some anomalies.

Still unclear whom Eddie Betts can play for. Born in SA but under age footy when he drafted was from Calder Cannons in Victoria. He could end of on either side on Feb 28

How Dunstall played for Victoria basically makes the entire State of Origin concept back then a sham.

I like that idea. Is not perfect but I think it would provide a real State of Origin feel. I also think NSW/ACT has a real chance of beating SA. In fact I think NSW/ACT would go in as favourites.
Agreed. I just knocked that up quickly of an example of how it would work. In that scenario it would be pretty exciting if NSW/ACT, QLD or Tasmania were able to play in game 1. Game 1 could almost be a championship like game with an Origin trophy going to the winner if this all star game is a success and the AFL is serious about bringing origin back.

View attachment 804135

Basically what I been saying for years and by accident the AFL will get closer to it not by deign this end of summer. The time to play state of origin has always looked obvious to me to be end of summer in footy pre-season a number of weeks before the club premiership season starts. If the game goes great on February 28th they will realise there is a spot for it on footy calender every year. I've said for years on All Australian night they should name state squads from the season form and that squad is what the players are chosen from at end of summer to pick an actual team. Ever since they got rid of the pre-season trophy is has seemed so obvious where state of origin should fit into the whole scheme of things. The elite players never get much of our pre-season practice matches as it becomes more about playing fringe players to experiment where they could develop. The established elite players having a higher level to go to has always made sense for years. Then the clubs get one last practice game to tune up with a team closer to their real best 22 before round one. Never understood why AFL cannot see it staring them in face. This game will only make it more obvious to them in time.

Tier 1
Victoria

Tier 2
Western Australia

Tier 3
South Australia
NSW/ACT
Queensland

Tier 4
Tasmania
Northern Territory

Don't know how a team compirising of Fyfe, Cripps, Mitchell, Kelly, Coniglio, Nic Nat tapping it to them with Buddy up forward is a tier 2 team. Vics may have a better defence, but that WA midfield wins on current form if fully fit.

As much as the All-Stars idea isn't exactly enticing, the potential of Grundy and Nic Nat in the same team is.

Grundy is the ideal ruckman to complement big Nic and vice versa. Play Nic in the centre square and Grundy around the ground.

Hell, play them both on ball around the ground. Grundy to Nic, try and stop that clearance.

And before Eagles' folk get scared about him playing, the reality is he needs a warm-up and an exhibition game isn't a bad time for it.

All players will on programs including the pre season games, particularly any player with a history of problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back