Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty s**t I'd imagine.

What's that got to do with a Tassie team?
Well
Pretty s**t I'd imagine.

What's that got to do with a Tassie team?
Well people want to question a Tasmania’s teams ability to draw crowds as a reason not to get a licence but then sit back and say it’s perfectly fine for gws to continue to draw tiny unstable crowds at least the suns have an exscuse for there poor crowds the giants have none!

Probably around the same as Tassie if they are s**t.

They don't have derbies to boost crowds either.
How do you come up with this conclusion ? considering we’re getting similar crowds to you now watching neutral fifo clubs with no connection to Tasmania I also imagine a lot more visiting Victorian supporters would be more likely to travel to Tasmania then they would western Sydney!

How do you come up with this conclusion ? considering we’re getting similar crowds to you now watching neutral fifo clubs with no connection to Tasmania I also imagine a lot more visiting Victorian supporters would be more likely to travel to Tasmania then they would western Sydney!

You don't even know for sure that Tassie AFL fans will ditch their old clubs for a new Tassie one yet and yet you think that they will be there rain, hail or shine.

You don't even know for sure that Tassie AFL fans will ditch their old clubs for a new Tassie one yet and yet you think that they will be there rain, hail or shine.
How many north and hawthorn supporters do you think there is in Tasmania over 50 percent of the fifo crowds are neutral supporters I’ve been to a number of fifo games just to watch afl games we’re a football state no offence but you don’t have this in nsw with neutral interest so you honesty believe a local team will get worse crowds then we’re currently getting for the fifo games ?

How many north and hawthorn supporters do you think there is in Tasmania over 50 percent of the fifo crowds are neutral supporters I’ve been to a number of fifo games just to watch afl games we’re a football state no offence but you don’t have this in nsw with neutral interest so you honesty believe a local team will get worse crowds then we’re currently getting for the fifo games ?

Honestly have no idea if they would get better or worse. We will find out soon hopefully.

I've went to a few away games down there myself. Against North they were 98% North fans.

I'm just saying that some fans attachment to their club goes beyond state lines and they may not jump on board.

If every passionate Aussie Rules fan in Western Sydney jumped on board the Giants we would be selling out 40k stadiums. We aren't. Yet.
Instead they stuck by their clubs, fair enough to. I know many.

Well

Well people want to question a Tasmania’s teams ability to draw crowds as a reason not to get a licence but then sit back and say it’s perfectly fine for gws to continue to draw tiny unstable crowds at least the suns have an exscuse for there poor crowds the giants have none!

Giants and Gold Coast have growth potential.

Tassie's figures assume pie on the sky 20% of a cities population attending matches on a regular basis attendance.

Giants and Gold Coast have growth potential.

Tassie's figures assume pie on the sky 20% of a cities population attending matches on a regular basis attendance.
Ridiculous comment So only people from Hobart and Launceston will be attending games? You do realise there are a lot of people living outside these areas did you take into account that afl football currently has pretty much zero competition from other codes in Tasmania how many nrl and a league union clubs are based in nsw massive competition for support over there and the growth thing is massively over stated when you look at the limited crowds the nrl clubs get to games nsw just don’t support sports in general as much as the other states do I don’t think the growth is there as much as people think it is

1. The NBL crowd of 67,206 (for 9 games) broke a record that has existed since 1995.

As it appears certain Tasmania will get its own NBL team soon, male GR AF in Tasmania can be expected to continue to deteriorate if it is continually denied having its own elite AF team in the AFL (no AF "glamour & tribalism").

2. Hawthorn President J. Kennett has said 11.12.19

" I find it discriminatory (my emphasis) that we have not been given the opportunity to be included in the AFLW thus far".
(In reality, the AFL did provide them with an opportunity to apply. Kennett is sometimes loose withe truth, particularly when commenting on the possibility of Tasmania becoming the 19th team).

Tasmania, heartland AF state, doesn't have a team in the AFL. It can be strongly argued it, also, is being "discriminated" against, if its Bid is not accepted by the AFL (I assume the Bid will present a sustainable financial case).

Kennett is a hypocrite- he has been publicly undermining Tasmania's Bid, & publicly attacking the very well-argued pro-Tasmanian Bid views of T. Lane etc.
Ironically, Hawthorn, a "victim of AFLW discrimination" will achieve very rapid salvation by 2024- the AFLW Competition Committee has recommended the AFLW be expanded to 18 teams by 2024. Tasmania has claimed it has been a victim of VFL/AFL carpetbagging/mistreatment etc. for decades.

3. WWOS 12.12.19

Quotes unattributed AAP Report, which states, re Tasmanian Bid, there is "...growing support for the state to be granted its own AFL team".

The AAP Report also quotes J. Kennett

"Hawthorn has always (my emphasis), and will always, support that which is good for Tasmanian football"!

Last edited:
The NBL crowd of 67,206 (for 9 games) broke a record that has existed since 1995.

As it appears certain Tasmania will get its own NBL team soon, male GR AF in Tasmania can be expected to continue to deteriorate if it is continually denied having its own elite AF team in the AFL.

Problem with the NBL crowd "records" is that they are claimed on total round figures - and the number of games in that round was huge.

Probably around the same as Tassie if they are s**t.

They don't have derbies to boost crowds either.
NO, but they have tens of thousands of supporters of all the traditional VFL/AFL clubs that will ensure that every Tas v Vic match will sell out. If Hawthorn v Freo can draw 13K, then Tas v Hawthorn would easily double that (capacity aside).

You also have to consider that the old VFL allegiances will only stick around for one generation. Kids growing up today in Tasmania will (hopefully) grow up with a Tasmanian team to support.

I'd become a dual supporter (and member).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NO, but they have tens of thousands of supporters of all the traditional VFL/AFL clubs that will ensure that every Tas v Vic match will sell out. If Hawthorn v Freo can draw 13K, then Tas v Hawthorn would easily double that (capacity aside).
Not according to the general giant the states been following afl football for a 100 years and are currently getting crowds the same as gws to watch fifo clubs but apparently the crowds won’t improve and will go backwards for a local team I’m not sure the logic in that 😂

Not according to the general giant the states been following afl football for a 100 years and are currently getting crowds the same as gws to watch fifo clubs but apparently the crowds won’t improve and will go backwards for a local team I’m not sure the logic in that

Where have I said that?

I've said no one knows for sure regarding crowds wether up or down, probably depends on where on the ladder as well.

I also just said that fans of clubs may not jump onboard the new club.

But keep on ranting.

University Of Melbourne Dr A Fuller 8.4.19

This website examines a range of issues pertaining to the interaction of AF & culture- there is much of interest.

Dr Fuller writes

"The success of the AFL is founded on the decline of the SANFL, WAFL, TFL (my emphasis) and VFA. The AFL is increasingly distancing itself from the grassroots' fans who have formed the foundation of the current elite versions of the game".
(WA & SA were able to protect AF in their states, as, crucially, they had their own AFL team, proper elite Academies & pathways etc. Tasmania does not have this defense)

"The game, its images, its iconography is part of our shared history, mythology and memories...we use this expression to express ourselves, shape our identities, and, of course, to have fun with families...".

By denying Tasmanians their own AFL team, & the many disadvantages (personal; & for the growth & prosperity of Tasmanian AF) emanating from this exclusion, the AFL has rightly attracted much opprobrium & disgust. This will increase considerably if the Bid is rejected (I am assuming the Bid shows the Tas. team is financially sustainable)

Last edited:
University Of Melbourne Dr A Fuller 8.4.19

This website examines a range of issues pertaining to the interaction of AF & culture- there is much of interest.

Dr Fuller writes

"The success of the AFL is founded on the decline of the SANFL, WAFL, TFL (my emphasis) and VFA. The AFL is increasingly distancing itself from the grassroots' fans who have formed the foundation of the current elite versions of the game".
(WA & SA were able to protect AF in their states, as they had their own AFL teams, proper elite Academies & pathways etc. Tasmania does not have this defense)

"The game, its images, its iconography is part of our shared history, mythology and memories...we use this expression to express ourselves, shape our identities, and, of course, to have fun with families...".

By denying Tasmanians their own AFL team, & the many disadvantages (personal, & for the growth & prosperity of Tasmanian AF) emanating from this exclusion, the AFL has rightly attracted much opprobrium & disgust. This will increase considerably if the Bid is rejected (I am assuming the Bid shows the Tas. team is financially sustainable)

I've said this in years gone by on BF.

The growth & expansion of the AFL SA & WA has been at the expense of the local competitions. Overall, That probably balances out to maintain the relative the strength of AF in those traditional states.

Not so in Tasmania. The VFL/AFL have sucked the life out of the game here, yet we have no AFL club here to balance that out & maintain the strength of the game here. We get criticised for the poor state of AF here. You can sheet the blame home to the actions or the non actions of the AFL.

Hoping, but not hopeful the powers that be will see fit to have a club here. I'll be happy if we get an NBL team. I'll ditch AF if the AFL just ignore us again.

1. Legislative Council Of Tasmania Select Committee re Formation of an AFL Team 20.8.19. Sworn Oral Submissions to the Select Committee (with corresponding questions by MP's)

It is interesting that Steve Martin ( National Party Senator), in his sworn oral Submission, said it was his understanding it is an AFL expectation that Tasmania achieve 50,000 members, if it is granted the licence. (Time frame for 50,000 members not clarified- probably after a licence is granted)

2. Adelaide Now M. Rucci 12.9.19
Rucci wrote an article on why he believes the AFL"...is trying to bed down the northern teams before it looks to expand to Tasmania".

(behind a paywall- can anyone open?)

EDIT:

3. Pursuit Uni.Melb. website C. Critchley September 2017

Re Professor J. Damousi's book "Footy Passions", Critchley refers to Prof. Damousi's comments, & states the book

"...has found that following footy provided connections often unavailable elsewhere, such as bonding to a community, a wider sense of the collective and connection with family and friends. This engendered a fundamental sense of belonging".

By denying Tasmania their own elite AFL team, these very important emotional & social bonds (which some refer to as "footy tribalism") are weakened for Tasmanians- & severely damage the growth & success of AF in Tasmania.

Last edited:
I've said this in years gone by on BF.

The growth & expansion of the AFL SA & WA has been at the expense of the local competitions. Overall, That probably balances out to maintain the relative the strength of AF in those traditional states.

Not so in Tasmania. The VFL/AFL have sucked the life out of the game here, yet we have no AFL club here to balance that out & maintain the strength of the game here. We get criticised for the poor state of AF here. You can sheet the blame home to the actions or the non actions of the AFL.

Hoping, but not hopeful the powers that be will see fit to have a club here. I'll be happy if we get an NBL team. I'll ditch AF if the AFL just ignore us again.

Hang on a sec, wasn't it reported that 90,000 tasmanians are AFL club members?

That doesn't say the game is weak. The complete opposite.

Hang on a sec, wasn't it reported that 90,000 tasmanians are AFL club members?

That doesn't say the game is weak. The complete opposite.
There’s always been strong support for the traditional afl clubs down here that won’t change the main problem is though our state league was run in to the ground buy the Robert auld led afl tas wouldn’t be much better then the neafl now there’s been no money or resources put into development for years as the afl have had tunnel vision less quality players then ever have been getting drafted over the last decade not having a tac side hurt massively also basketball is growing massively in juniors down which is only going to increase with the new nbl team afl need to do something soon if they even care !

Not suggesting otherwise, but it's a pretty big indicator of interest.

Not that I believe those numbers, but even 50,000 would be a huge number.

Well you said those AFL member numbers suggest the game here isn't weak. The game here is in fact ratshyte, pisssweak. Its nothing like the game was in relation to the rest of the country up until the late 1990's. That's the effect of AFL money going elsewhere & having no club here to balance the changes the game has gone through nationally at the professional level.

Hawthorn & North FIFO footy has probably made local footy even worse. Taking sponsorship, media, public & political interest. Despite what they say, they've returned SFA to local footy. Clearly a lot less than SFA, negative in fact.

So AFL numbers mean SFA to the health of Tassie footy.

Plain & simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back