Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We are fortunate on our board to have two quality posters who attend training on a regular basis.
Furthermore, they provide us with excellent insights and updates, often they are there at the same time.
In the spirit of teamwork, they have decided a shared thread is a good idea.
Please respect their efforts and keep the thread on topic.

FYI: Apples Gone Critical jathanas Jen2310 Maggie5 Magpie Girl

January 10th - Pre-season training.

I arrived about 9:30am, and the boys were starting to come out on the ground. The weather was icky. Very humid. Decided to go grab a water from inside the cafe, to be told they weren't selling water or soft drink. Not til after the AO. Only doing take-away coffee. But the girl gave me a glass of water to take outside anyway.

By that point they were warming up. Rather than listing the players, I'll just say who wasn't there. Beams, Langdon, Broomhead, Reid and Moore.
Stevo didn't do the warm up. Didn't do the drills. He just walked the boundary with appleby and then watched on. Not too soon later, he went inside. I assume they are taking it one step at a time given his illness. Appleby went inside around the same time.

First up was the time trial: There was a group that didn't participate, including Phillips, who seemed to be on his own individual schedule.

1st: Rantall. 6:10
2nd: Sidebottom 6:15
3rd: Lynch 6:21
4th: Will Kelly 6:22
5th: Murphy 6:26
6th: Howe 6:27
7th: Tom Wilson 6:30
8: Sier 6:32
9: Madgen 6:35
10th - 13th: Shaz, Pendles and Bianco 6:37
14th-15th: Roughy - 6:39 and Mihochek 6:40
16th - Tyler Brown 6:45
17th: Varcoe 6:46
18th: Maynard 6:47
19: Cameron 6:53
20th: Ruscoe 6:55
21st: Noble 6:56
22nd: Atu 7:01
23rd: Dunn 7:03
24th: Keane 7:16
25th: Cox 7:17
and Grundy last. 7:36

The later ones may not be 100% correct, but close enough.

After that, Jordy and Keane went inside. Keane wasn't feeling well. Irish don't handle the heat well, haha. Jordy just a little complaint in his back. Didn't need any medicos, just had a chat and left the ground. That tells me nothing serious. But probably didn't want to risk it.

Tohil didn't train, but was out there by the side, as he has his knee strapped. Not sure what happened though.

It was then onto group work, going through transitional ground ball work. Then little match sim. It felt pretty light for a main session, but probably being first day back, they are weaning them back into it.

Someone mentioned to me a funny thing. Cox is friendly to Grundy but not Darcy Cameron, as Cameron is after Cox's spot. That's his competition.

Also later on after the session, one of the young boys, their friend was unable to make it to training , so It was nice of some of the boys to send him a greeting on the phone. When it was Cox's turn, he actually had a chat to the kid on the phone.
That would have made his world. What a brilliant thing to do.

Midfielder Taylor Adams also joined in main training in the Magpies' first session after the main break having dispensed of the moon boot he was wearing in December.

Jaidyn Stephenson is expecting to be able to rejoin full training in early February as he works his way back to fitness from a bout of glandular fever.
Premiership defender Ben Reid was absent as he helps his family deal with the bushfires that have kept the north-eastern Victorian town of Bright on high alert in the past fortnight while the Magpies confirmed Darcy Moore was ill.

Last edited:
I went to training for parts of the morning this morning.

Couple of insights.
1. Time trial. Rantall took it home in 6.10, followed by Steele in 6.15. Lynch, Wilson, Murphy all did pretty good too. Most people done by 6.40ish.
2. Skills were sloppy across the board. A lot of rust it seemed. Even on a simple cross laneway drill, a lot of missed targets.
3. Best on the track looked like Daics (kicked 80% on his left, all hit the target nicely) Maynard, Wilson, Howe. Sharenberg was okay too until it got into game simulation where he reverted back to sideways short to the boundary instead of the probing aggressive kicks he was nailing earlier in training.
5. Rantall is a running / work machine, but we will have problems with his kicking. Not sloppy, but just not sharp. A lot like a Scott Burns / Taylor Adams. Not a great technique with ball control to the foot (unlike a Howe for example) instead just holds it out and drops it like the two mentioned above.

I went to training for parts of the morning this morning.

Couple of insights.
1. Time trial. Rantall took it home in 6.10, followed by Steele in 6.15. Lynch, Wilson, Murphy all did pretty good too. Most people done by 6.40ish.
2. Skills were sloppy across the board. A lot of rust it seemed. Even on a simple cross laneway drill, a lot of missed targets.
3. Best on the track looked like Daics (kicked 80% on his left, all hit the target nicely) Maynard, Wilson, Howe. Sharenberg was okay too until it got into game simulation where he reverted back to sideways short to the boundary instead of the probing aggressive kicks he was nailing earlier in training.
5. Rantall is a running / work machine, but we will have problems with his kicking. Not sloppy, but just not sharp. A lot like a Scott Burns / Taylor Adams. Not a great technique with ball control to the foot (unlike a Howe for example) instead just holds it out and drops it like the two mentioned above.

thanks for the report, and it encouraging that Wilson has a decent tank, cause he was gasping for air in his first few training sessions. I must say Im surprised you tar Scotty Burns with the same dodgy kicking brush as Taylor Adams. I always thought Burns was a good reliable kick

I arrived about 9:30am, and the boys were starting to come out on the ground. The weather was icky. Very humid. Decided to go grab a water from inside the cafe, to be told they weren't selling water or soft drink. Not til after the AO. Only doing take-away coffee. But the girl gave me a glass of water to take outside anyway.

By that point they were warming up. Rather than listing the players, I'll just say who wasn't there. Beams, Langdon, Broomhead, Reid and Moore.
Stevo didn't do the warm up. Didn't do the drills. He just walked the boundary with appleby and then watched on. Not too soon later, he went inside. I assume they are taking it one step at a time given his illness. Appleby went inside around the same time.

First up was the time trial: There was a group that didn't participate, including Phillips, who seemed to be on his own individual schedule.

After that, Jordy and Keane went inside. Keane wasn't feeling well. Irish don't handle the heat well, haha. Jordy just a little complaint in his back. Didn't need any medicos, just had a chat and left the ground. That tells me nothing serious. But probably didn't want to risk it.

Tohil didn't train, but was out there by the side, as he has his knee strapped. Not sure what happened though.

It was then onto group work, going through transitional ground ball work. Then little match sim. It felt pretty light for a main session, but probably being first day back, they are weaning them back into it.

Someone mentioned to me a funny thing. Cox is friendly to Grundy but not Darcy Cameron, as Cameron is after Cox's spot. That's his competition.

Also later on after the session, one of the young boys, their friend was unable to make it to training , so It was nice of some of the boys to send him a greeting on the phone. When it was Cox's turn, he actually had a chat to the kid on the phone.

Not sure if I love or hate seeing the taller guys like Lynch and Kelly up near the top!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good on them. To be that athletic can only help them and us in the long run.

Curious as to whether Lynch with his size and running ability could become a very big bodied mid for us? Can't see where his rucking opportunities would be with us, so he'll need to find a role for himself in the team.

Also love seeing the likes of Sier, Murphy and Shaz in the top 10-12 placers, I could easily see all three having roles to play in our midfield as early as this year, particularly Sier and Shaz.

Curious as to whether Lynch with his size and running ability could become a very big bodied mid for us? Can't see where his rucking opportunities would be with us, so he'll need to find a role for himself in the team.

Also love seeing the likes of Sier, Murphy and Shaz in the top 10-12 placers, I could easily see all three having roles to play in our midfield as early as this year, particularly Sier and Shaz.

Just came back into this thread to check Sier's time. Good to see!

Great to see the kids and emerging players so dominant in those times.

Lynch’s midfield prospects are roughly the same as yours or mine. We have 5 locked and loaded 20ppg players excluding Beams, Grundy and Sier whereas Lynch has never shown much of an ability to win the ball at VFL level as a ruckman. Ball winning is huge to our midfield. I get your angle though and finding him another role seems practical, but I just don’t see one given our depth of quality in 2020.

I must be quite burned, because in training reports, the first thing I'm looking for is injured.

I don't like: "Beams, Langdon, Broomhead, Reid and Moore."

Moore... and Langdon... damn.

Reid’s fit, Darcy’s ill and Beams will never play for us again. The only concerns are Broomhead and Langdon who were both no chance for Rd 1 anyway going back as far as December.

Lynch’s midfield prospects are roughly the same as yours or mine. We have 5 locked and loaded 20ppg players excluding Beams, Grundy and Sier whereas Lynch has never shown much of an ability to win the ball at VFL level as a ruckman. Ball winning is huge to our midfield. I get your angle though and finding him another role seems practical, but I just don’t see one given our depth of quality in 2020.
With our recent history a spot may very well open up for him as the pre-sesason progresses.

In what sense is Cox not friendly to Cameron?

I must be quite burned, because in training reports, the first thing I'm looking for is injured.

I don't like: "Beams, Langdon, Broomhead, Reid and Moore."

Moore... and Langdon... damn.

Moore is sick and Reid is helping with his family up in bright with the bushfires. Langdon is a wait and see. Hopefully he gets out to training soon.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back