Harness Racing

Remove this Banner Ad

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
There's concerns around integrity probably more so than gallops. Plenty of team driving but even beyond that the BF pre-race moves often tell a story on how the race will be run, who will lead etc. It's also quite easy to have a long shot pressure a leader, plus other tactics which can have a significant impact on the race outcome.
How dare people do the form and read the gate speed and hop on betfair!
Just as many integrity issues in the gallops but the rug isn't as big.

Feb 18, 2008
Nowra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How dare people do the form and read the gate speed and hop on betfair!
Just as many integrity issues in the gallops but the rug isn't as big.

Yep that's it, form analysis regularly causes the $1.60 shot to drift to $3.40 in the last 30 secs of trading before either galloping, handing up or being pressured in front :rolleyes:

Move on, nothing to see hear......

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep that's it, form analysis regularly causes the $1.60 shot to drift to $3.40 in the last 30 secs of trading before either galloping, handing up or being pressured in front :rolleyes:

Lol that doesn't happen though.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I almost gave up on the red hots when one day at Terang there was 2 horses that were about evens or less in a 7 horse field and one of them galloped in the score up and the other one raced erratically in front, then the one who galloped took the other one on and both finished out of the 1st four... and the 1st four paid... .less than $400....

Feb 18, 2008
Nowra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I like the trots, I use the trots a lot and find them profitable but there are definitely issues that need addressing. That said in some ways it's almost more profitable if they are not addressed but hurts the sport a bit

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Plenty of quality harness action this weekend from Cambridge, Gloucester Park, Shepparton and Hamilton

Personally I have never got into the trots as I find the races themselves boring as bat s**t - similarly as to why I don't watch the walking in the Olympics when I can watch Usain Bolt.

In contrast Greyhound racing does have a bit of an excitement factor and I could see myself getting into it if I had enough time to do the form/learn a completely different code.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton

A lot of that is due to there only being volume very late on betfair and pros not wanting to show their hand until as late as possible. Also the on track punters get a decent idea of drivers intentions by watching the warm up. Add in the fact it’s much harder to get on with corps for a harness punter than the gallops.

Harness racing definitely does have integrity problems, but it’s well overstated compared to thoroughbreds. Smerdon and Weir mugged off the biggest state turnover wise for the best part of a decade yet only the red hots have the integrity issues?

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
A lot of that is due to there only being volume very late on betfair and pros not wanting to show their hand until as late as possible. Also the on track punters get a decent idea of drivers intentions by watching the warm up. Add in the fact it’s much harder to get on with corps for a harness punter than the gallops.

Harness racing definitely does have integrity problems, but it’s well overstated compared to thoroughbreds. Smerdon and Weir mugged off the biggest state turnover wise for the best part of a decade yet only the red hots have the integrity issues?
Cannot like this post enough.

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
If anyone wants a money maker for the next week back Galactic Star in the WA Cup. Current two favourites are My Field Marshall and Alta Orlando. Alta Orlando will not be going and Field Marshall unlikely. Galactic Star is the best local and will have an easy run this week in on the fence in the Fremantle Cup so will be a bit fresher than his opposition for next weeks 2900m marathon. Could still even win or finish close tonight. Either way will shorten dramatically for WA Cup next week so you can hedge off for profit and be in the game with a horse who is over the odds and depending on the draw probably win.

Can get $7.50 using Ladbrokes odds boost. While $2.38 the place. Amazing overs.

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
First race at Redcliffe today $1.10 favourite off the pole gallops runs 4th you couldn’t make this s**t up.
Driven with gate speed to hold the pegs at its first look at Redcliffe, having its 4th start in a shitty maiden in a day meeting. Fav based on its Albion Park performances but literally couldn’t get two more different tracks than Redcliffe and AP.

There is an investigative steward whose job is to monitor wagering. Pretty sure he might notice someone trying to get a stack out of laying the fav in a race that would’ve held almost nothing. With margins even at that price it’s implied odds mean it loses 10+ % of the time

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It galloped at release making me think it was intentional.
A 3yo having just it's 4th start and was asked to burn the gate. The driver did not intentionally make it gallop. It's impeccably bred and a smart horse and they would be trying to educate for races like the Derby, not playing funny burgers and turning a good horse into a head case.

First race at Redcliffe today $1.10 favourite off the pole gallops runs 4th you couldn’t make this s**t up.

What a sport.

Imagine if an odds on fave buck jumped immediately out of the gates once a meeting at the gallops!

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
If anyone wants a money maker for the next week back Galactic Star in the WA Cup. Current two favourites are My Field Marshall and Alta Orlando. Alta Orlando will not be going and Field Marshall unlikely. Galactic Star is the best local and will have an easy run this week in on the fence in the Fremantle Cup so will be a bit fresher than his opposition for next weeks 2900m marathon. Could still even win or finish close tonight. Either way will shorten dramatically for WA Cup next week so you can hedge off for profit and be in the game with a horse who is over the odds and depending on the draw probably win.

Can get $7.50 using Ladbrokes odds boost. While $2.38 the place. Amazing overs.
So i watched but didnt have a bet. They interviewed the driver of the pole marker and i thought he said he was looking to hold the lead? He made zero attempt to hold it so i guess it was a practice run for next week too?
Anyway poor old Galactic Star got put through the fence but i think that might have been the drivers fault trying to force a run. Have no idea what to make of it

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Galactic Star driver decides to run inside them where there is no room and surprise surprise get his legs taken. Probably won't have a horse for next week now. Ducking hell

Back