Which team is in the most trouble replacing its aging players? - 2020 edition

Which team is in the most trouble replacing its aging players?

• Adelaide

Votes: 54 12.5%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 14 3.2%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 49 11.4%
  • Essendon

Votes: 19 4.4%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Geelong

Votes: 221 51.3%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GWS

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 90 20.9%
  • Melbourne

• North Melbourne

Votes: 16 3.7%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • Richmond

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • St Kilda

• Sydney

Votes: 21 4.9%
  • West Coast

Votes: 32 7.4%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Because you have Cripps.

Who are the inside mids at Essendon ?
If I was essendon would there be am option to just keep mcgrath and find another inside mid accumulator? Mcgrath has dash and impact. Harder to find those types. Essendon's lack of inside midfielders is a shortcoming of their list management but I'd still rather mcgrath over worpel while looking elsewhere for an inside mid. McGrath will be a dynamic footballer. Worpel will be a good footballer but someone who is pretty similar to your standard mid.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
No better supporters to comment on nu 1 draft picks they have so much experience.
Such an intelligent and insightful contribution. I apologised my valuation of two footballers is different to yours. Go start a poll....I doubt I'd be alone in preferring McGrath.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If I was essendon would there be am option to just keep mcgrath and find another inside mid accumulator? Mcgrath has dash and impact. Harder to find those types. Essendon's lack of inside midfielders is a shortcoming of their list management but I'd still rather mcgrath over worpel while looking elsewhere for an inside mid. McGrath will be a dynamic footballer. Worpel will be a good footballer but someone who is pretty similar to your standard mid.

Essendon havent had an inside mid in years. It explains where they are.

What do they lose with McGrath? What do they gain with Worpel?

At the same age, which inside mids were clearly better than Worpel? Given he just won a B and F.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Essendon havent had an inside mid in years. It explains where they are.

What do they lose with McGrath? What do they gain with Worpel?

At the same age, which inside mids were clearly better than Worpel? Given he just won a B and F.
In terms of football ability I'd take mcgrath. Simple. Inside mids are dime a dozen

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Worpel a dime a dozen inside mid. Your intelligent contributions across many threads towards the brown & gold is always one way traffic! Prefer that then to be everyone’s second favourite team I guess.
It is pretty funny.

McGrath is not as good of a player and has been in the AFL longer yet once again that magical ceiling that everyone mentions means McGrath will end up better lol.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It is pretty funny.

McGrath is not as good of a player and has been in the AFL longer yet once again that magical ceiling that everyone mentions means McGrath will end up better lol.

in terms of pure talent McGrath is one of the lowest of all number 1 draft picks. He is going to be a 200 gamer, but he isn't going to be winning many All Australians.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Worpel a dime a dozen inside mid. Your intelligent contributions across many threads towards the brown & gold is always one way traffic! Prefer that then to be everyone’s second favourite team I guess.
I don't know what you're talking about. I have a huge amount of respect for Hawthorn. Why are you so defensive? My opinion of Mcgrath and Worpel should be of no consequence.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Yet Essendon have zero.

For 2 dimes, name 24 ?
I have previously said that Essendon's lack of inside mids is a failure of list management. They definitely need to draft or trade in inside mids. I just wouldn't get rid of mcgrath for worpel. I'd keep mcgrath and look elsewhere for an inside mid as I like mcgrath's run and dash.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I have previously said that Essendon's lack of inside mids is a failure of list management. They definitely need to draft or trade in inside mids. I just wouldn't get rid of mcgrath for worpel. I'd keep mcgrath and look elsewhere for an inside mid as I like mcgrath's run and dash.

Every time I see you post I feel a sense of dread as I remember my "History of Sexuality" unit at university.

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ooft. I'd be taking Mcgrath every day of the week

I wasn't saying what a Carlton fan would do. Essendon need a player like Worpel much more than they need a player like McGrath - at least the player McGrath has been so far. It is possible he'll transition into being an inside bull - he's only turning 21 this year - but it doesn't look like that will be his strength at this stage. Essendon still need someone that can be that player. They've needed someone to do that role since the effects of the gear wore off on Jobe Watson.

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

We'd all like to keep our decent players and improve our list without having to pay for it, but generally things don't work that way (unless you are Hawthorn trading with GWS). Such is the urgency of Essendon's need, I have no doubt they would swap McGrath for Worpel in a heartbeat should the opportunity arise.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Well, currently you AREN'T a finals-quality team, so obviously there is some room for improvement for Hawthorn.

Gain Mitchell for 2020, but lose Impey. Gunston is on his last legs and won't be fit to start the year. Your forward line will be led by an injury-riddled tall and a kid who's played 14 games. Your #1 ruck is turning 31. Your two key pillars down back (Frawley and Stratton) are both 31 - who is your emerging talent in the key defensive stocks?

Almost 1/3 of your best 22 are over 30. That's a hell of a lot of players you'll need to phase out over the coming 2-3 years and currently I don't think you have the young talent to transition without falling down the ladder. We already saw Hawthorn drop from top 4 to 9th in one season and what's to say that fall won't continue now that a lot of your better players are starting to wind down? Hardwick, Lewis, Worpel and Scrimshaw all look good, but what about the rest of the young crop?

Hawthorn supporters sure get bitchy when you dare say that maybe Hawthorn won't be a powerhouse in the next 5 years. I'm sorry if my opinion has offended you. You'd kill to have a young talent like McGrath on your list.
Yes we do have the problem that players don't usually want to leave

Back