Bushfire Disaster Appeal 2020

I saw some of the donation amounts pop up in my Facebook feed, Instagram and all that jazz and it’s fantastic, I do wonder though if most people read, where their money is going. I was talking to my partner about whether it’s ok to feel a little envious of the RFS as they are up to over $25,000,000 but I haven’t seen much reported about the CFA appeal. Lots of my friends had donated and I wonder if they knew it was for the NSW appeal.

I also read this morning that one of the NSW wildlife funds, I think it was called WIRES was up to $9M and the Vic equivalent was just over $1M.

I hope people read where their cash is going and hopefully the $$$$$ end up in the all the communities that need them.
Hoping all the donations don’t encourage governments of any level to believe that they can ignore their responsibilities for helping fund the rebuilding efforts required once the damage has been assessed.

Seems too easy for the real needs and costs of running organisations to be passed on to the public by deliberate government underfunding, knowing that heartfelt pleas for assistance will be met with generosity from ordinary people in times of crises.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Hoping all the donations don’t encourage governments of any level to believe that they can ignore their responsibilities for helping fund the rebuilding efforts required once the damage has been assessed.

Seems too easy for the real needs and costs of running organisations to be passed on to the public by deliberate government underfunding, knowing that heartfelt pleas for assistance will be met with generosity from ordinary people in times of crises.

Seeing as though it seems there has been funding cuts to various organisations that deal with this type of stuff, I believe the government would use this as an excuse not to cough up.

Just last week, the federal government were steadfast in their delivery that funding to fire services was a state responsibility, trying to shift their responsibility.

Don’t get me started on how in 2020, with a huge need to fight fires, manage fuel loads, back burn, land clear, plan, manage and coordinate disaster response efforts, that we are relying on volunteers and we expect these men and women to risk their lives, skip work and put their families at risk for free. This in itself is an excuse to not cough up the $$$$$

euphegenia

Debutant
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
8DADFBB5-7332-4582-83FE-6FF57482015C.jpeg

868E830C-8E57-4E70-84DD-FFE883FD2CC6.jpeg

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I was number 70!!! Best birthday present i could have received!

Happy 70th birthday Gill 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously, well done for your contribution, I wish I could help myself, but am currently caring for medical issues for myself and my elderly mother, but am trying to chip in when i can.

The groundswell of support our hurting country is getting worldwide is also that reassures my faith in humanity in these troubled times globally

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Email I just received!

30babab3-50f7-4cc5-9420-1a14c062f379.jpg

The Carlton Football Club’s Bushfire Disaster Appeal has received over 675 donations in just five days and now sits at $78,651 on the back of the generosity of Blues fans and players.

Leading the way off the field as he does on the field, co-captain Patrick Cripps has raised over $30,000 to the appeal, donating 100 2019 Carlton guernseys and five Cripps Wings memorabilia pieces, all personally signed.

Cripps wasn’t alone as his fellow co-captain Sam Docherty along with Mitch McGovern, Nic Newman, Lochie O’Brien, Harrison Macreadie and Matthew Owies all rolled up their sleeves to pack much needed hampers at FoodBank.

AFLW star Tayla Harris is also auctioning off a pair of her match-worn boots, with the highest bid currently sitting at over $8,000.

It hasn’t just been the players who have put their hands up at the Club, with the Carlton Cheersquad holding a raffle that will see 100 per cent of proceeds going to those affected by the bushfires.

The Club is also fully committed to the industry-wide approach taken by the AFL and all 18 clubs to play a State of Origin game on Friday 28 February at Marvel Stadium.

A list of initiatives facilitated by the Club to assist impacted communities can be found below.
  • • A $50,000 donation from the Club, in addition to the $2,500,000 donation made by the AFL and the 18 clubs.
  • • Participation of Carlton players in the AFL State of Origin game on Friday 28 February at Marvel Stadium.
  • • Support for any player who wants to be involved in the State of Origin game.
  • • Player-led fundraising initiatives such as generous donations and volunteering.
  • • Creation of the Carlton Bushfire Disaster Appeal Go Fund Me page, which has accumulated nearly 700 donations totalling almost $80,000.
Carlton CEO Cain Liddle expressed his deepest sympathy to those affected by the crisis and was proud to see the response from everyone involved with the Club.

“We’ve all been moved by this crisis and it’s affected our whole club in different ways. It’s been fantastic to see players from our AFL and AFLW lists go out of their way to help those going through this difficult time,” Liddle said.

“The Blues faithful have once again shown their passion to support, digging deep with over 667 donations, contributing close to $80,000 to the impacted communities.

“As a club, we send our best wishes to all those battling the fires and we encourage all our members and fans to continue to contribute where they can.”

The Club still has a goal of raising $100,000 for the Bushfire Disaster Appeal, so for those that can, please continue to donate here to support the volunteers, wildlife and locals who have been impacted by this crisis.

I probably face a ban for using this word on a footy sight but we decided last night to use the bonbonniere at our upcoming wedding as a donation to the RSPCA on behalf of all guests in attendance.
Lovely sentiment. Careful how you transport it.

Croquembouche-GettyImages-86056299-57b6b28f5f9b58cdfd412a58.jpg

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I was number 70!!! Best birthday present i could have received!

That is a real beauty! Not only is it the best feeling in the world knowing that you can help people in need with your donation and every donation counts.

You’ve also received something so valuable from our captain and club legend.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Glorious rain !

I am no Ecology/Environmental expert, but sometimes rain and especially wind, can make these bushfires worse. But touch wood this is a much needed respite, cause January is traditionally the hottest month of the year in the Australian Calendar.

Nov 1, 2013
Cabal headquarters
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wouldn't dare...
I am no Ecology/Environmental expert, but sometimes rain and especially wind, can make these bushfires worse. But touch wood this is a much needed respite, cause January is traditionally the hottest month of the year in the Australian Calendar.
Rain can hamper efforts to use backburning to manage the fires. If it's enough to dampen grass but not put the actual bushfire out.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
Basically rain can turn containment lines into slush, making many fire affected areas inaccessible by vehicle.....particularly in steeper terrain.

Many of these containment lines are just freshly cut dozer tracks where the dust hasn't had time to settle, so rain can be a hindrance.....although it does reduce the the fire's rate of spread, and gives the firies a bit of respite.

Having said that, a week of heavy rain would make a difference.

Wind and convection/heat can actually create its on storm pattern, unfortunately it won't rain water. :(

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
I couldn't get outline/bitly to work on this link, someone else may be smarter than me - https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/v...s/news-story/4b54230a38fe606db67b5f29f2596e13 - I assume the state-based charity is WIRES who got a bizillion dollars compared to Wildlife Victoria.

Won't work for me as well.

Yes it is WIRES.

Millions of dollars raised by a New South Wales wildlife charity will be shared around Australia for shelters and to help carers battling the impact of the devastating fires.

WIRES, the Wildlife Information, Rescue and Education Service, has until now only been able to legally distribute funds to organisations in NSW.
WIRES had been receiving millions of dollars thanks to endorsements by celebrities such as Ellen DeGeneres, prompting Wildlife Victoria to issue a reminder than Victorian native animals also needed help.

Nov 1, 2013
Cabal headquarters
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wouldn't dare...
There’s talk that Celeste Barber’s 50mil can only be used by RFS trust for equipment.
I read that the rules pre-bushfire (in relation to how that particular RFS fund was set up) only allowed certain uses for the money but they were looking at how that could be changed. Watch this space I guess, hope they can figure something out. Apparently the rules also prevent the money being spent on/shared with other states.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Wires has come out in the last few days, stating that they will be sharing the money, which is a great thing.

It was also reported a few days ago, that Celeste Barber had been in contact with the organisation, the money she raised was going to, to tell them that she wanted it to be spread around.

I can imagine there would be a lot of bad press if these charities or organisations were blocked from sharing funds, due to red tape, or if the RFS refused to share funds raised. It seems people are doing the right thing so far which is good to see.

Back