10. Jason Castagna / Daniel Rioli (47

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
St Kilda. (Games played in brackets)

B: Wilkie (22) Howard (45) Paton (16)
HB: Clark (29) Battle (26) Coffield (18)
C: Billings (107) Steele (78) Jones (90)
HF: Parker (17) Membrey (92) Kent (76)
F: Butler (45) King (0) Lonie (63)
R: Marshall (33) Dunstan (103) Gresham (81)
I/C: Sinclair (86) Long (30), Hind (11) Bytel (0)
E: Mckenzie (49) Austin (20) Langlands (3) Phillips (11)

I reckon this is the second best side behind the dogs. No real obvious holes other than King being unproven.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I reckon this is the second best side behind the dogs. No real obvious holes other than King being unproven.
As a current team, probably up there.
But if you're projecting.. there are a lot of B-C graders who have probably shown their colours and have limited upside.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Seriously ?

Name the best 10 from that Saints team.

It’s the depth. Like their best U/25 team is practically their best 22. This isn’t a who has the best young talent thread it’s a who has the best u25 team.
As a current team, probably up there.
But if you're projecting.. there are a lot of B-C graders who have probably shown their colours and have limited upside.

Yeah not arguing otherwise. Given the spread of ruck talent in this hypothetical u25 comp I suspect a midfield of Marshall, Steele, Jones, Gresham, Clark, Sinclair and Billings would punch well above it’s weight on the back of Marshall dominance.

Last edited:

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Seriously ?

Name the best 10 from that Saints team.

1. Marshall
2. Billings
3. Gresham
4. Howard
5. Membrey
6. Steele
7. Jones
8. Battle
9. Clark
10. King

Membrey, Steele, Jones the most limited players there going forwards but all put together decent B-grade production as is. The top 3 are A grade talent, with Marshall performing as such and the other 2 borderline but need more consistency. The last 3 are A grade talent and raw. If Coffield or Long can jump into that group too it's a very solid list.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
very cold blooded on what your team did. Recruiting a lot of youf once Ross Lyon has left.

You really want none of your players to be connected with Ross Lyon with any way shape or form. I wouldnt of been suprised your team fumigated your training facilities at seaford and Moorabbin to get rid of the Old man Ross Lyon stench lol

Every team in the comp has a team full of under 25s since Ross Lyon left St Kilda.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1. Marshall
2. Billings
3. Gresham
4. Howard
5. Membrey
6. Steele
7. Jones
8. Battle
9. Clark
10. King

Not sure that compares with Brisbane's top ten:

1. Cameron
2. Andrews
3. McLugagge
4. Berry
5. Hipwood
6. Gardiner
7. Rayner
8. Witherden
9. McStay
10. Ah Chee

Note I am aware the ranking of St Kildas u25's as the second best behind the Bulldogs wasn't your idea, but you put up a list I could make a comparison with.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

1. Cameron
2. Andrews
3. McLugagge
4. Berry
5. Hipwood
6. Gardiner
7. Rayner
8. Witherden
9. McStay
10. Ah Chee

Note I am aware the ranking of St Kildas u25's as the second best behind the Bulldogs wasn't your idea, but you put up a list I could make a comparison with.
Very good list. Bright future ahead for the Lions. You guys have done very well.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
B: Miller Garthwaite Baker
HB: Vlastuin Balta* Eggmolesse-Smith*
C: Stack Ross Naish
HF: Castagna Chol * Rioli
F: Higgins Coleman-Jones Aarts
R: Soldo Collier-Dawkins Dow Bolton
I: Nankervis, Short, McIntosh, Cumberland

I'm excited by this team. The eight player bolded were in our premiership side while those under-lined were either emergencies for the grand final or out of the side due to injury but would otherwise be in. That's 12 players under 25 that are proven quality players. The asterisked* names are those that played this season at AFL level, for an extended stint. They all showed a huge amount of promise though are still raw. Finally the players who are italics have been smashing it at VFL level (particularly in the VFL Grand Final win) but just haven't been able to break into the team. I'm especially excited about Coleman-Jones - he's a 200cm forward/ruck who is a sensational mark. Collier Dawkins had a break out game in the midfield in the grand final and is a big bodied mid.

So all in all, the future's looking pretty bright for us imho even without knowing how our most recent draftees will preform or whether the likes of Miller and Aarts will develop.

Bring on the future I say!
Steven Armstrong was a premiership player.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
B: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
HB: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
C: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
HF: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
F: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
RUCK: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
INT: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
Wasn’t that the All Australian team last year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

1. Cameron
2. Andrews
3. McLugagge
4. Berry
5. Hipwood
6. Gardiner
7. Rayner
8. Witherden
9. McStay
10. Ah Chee

It’s depth where I rate the Saints. Reckon their bottom 12 is significantly better and you can already see it with Ah Chee making the Brisbane top 10.

Blokes like Sinclair, Butler, Kent, Lonie and Dunstan are established AFL players and would have no trouble beating other sides inexperienced players imo.

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
Melbourne's top 10 goes alright too.

1. Clayton Oliver
2. Jake Lever
3. Christian Petracca
4. Christian Salem
5. Bailey Fritsch
6. Sam Weideman
7. James Harmes
8. Angus Brayshaw
9. Marty Hore
10. Jack Viney

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It’s depth where I rate the Saints. Reckon their bottom 12 is significantly better and you can already see it with Ah Chee making the Brisbane top 10.

Blokes like Sinclair, Butler, Kent, Lonie and Dunstan are established AFL players and would have no trouble beating other sides inexperienced players imo.
Fair point in terms of experience. Brisbane drops away at about 14 or so players. I put Ah Chee in there on potential more than anything with regular best 22 players McInerney and Bailey possible at that position. You do make a good point about the Saints having close to their best 22 being under 25 though.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
1. Patrick Cripps
2. Sam Walsh.
3. Charlie Curnow.
4. Jacob Weitering.
5. Harry McKay.
6. Will Setterfield.
7. Jack Martin.
8. SPS
9. Zac Fisher.
10. Mitch McGovern

Plus Paddy Dow, Lachie OBrien, Liam Stocker, Caleb Marchbank, Tom De Koning, Lachie Plowman, Tom Williamson, Jack Silvagni, Michael Gibbons, Brodie Kemp, David Cuningham and Matthew Kennedy.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Melbourne's top 10 goes alright too.

1. Clayton Oliver
2. Jake Lever
3. Christian Petracca
4. Christian Salem
5. Bailey Fritsch
6. Sam Weideman
7. James Harmes
8. Angus Brayshaw
9. Marty Hore x Langdon
10. Jack Viney
I don't agree with the order but take out Hore and include Langdon, who's coming off two straight years in Freo's top 5 B&F (whatever that's worth).

I suspect others, such as Petty, will quickly be on this list.

We need all of the above to have their best years in 2020. If they do it will go a long way to moving much higher up the ladder.

I don't agree with the order but take out Hore and include Langdon, who's coming off two straight years in Freo's top 5 B&F (whatever that's worth).

We need all of the above to have their best years in 2020. If they do it will go a long way to moving much higher up the ladder.

Seriously good top 10. I predicted Melbourne for top 4 in 2020 and got laughed at though.

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.

Wasn't in order mate, just a top 10 in no order. No way I'd have Viney ranked 10th. Was just a quick throw together from a neutral. Seriously good under 25 list. Rate it above Saints and Bris personally.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah well 16 of that 22 played at least half of our games last season, and that doesn't include Jones, Howard, or Butler, who we've just brought in, or Mckenzie, who played 15 (and was just given a new 3 year contract), but who didn't make the 22. Or Coffield, who played 8 games from R11 until injured in R21.

So yeah, that 22 is probably about the equivalent of some of the teams we fielded last season, thanks to our very bad injury run. With another preseason under their belts it might even be a stronger one!

Last edited:
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Yeah well 16 of that 22 played at least half of our games last season, and that doesn't include Jones, Howard, or Butler, who we've just brought in, or Mckenzie, who played 15 (and was just given a new 3 year contract), but who didn't make the 22. Or Coffield, who played 8 games from R11 until injured in R21.

So yeah, that 22 is probably about the equivalent of a lot of the teams we fielded last season, thanks to our very bad injury run. Especially with another preseason under their belts.
would you want ross lyon back at your club? lol

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Given the spread of ruck talent in this hypothetical u25 comp I suspect a midfield of Marshall, Steele, Jones, Gresham, Clark, Sinclair and Billings would punch well above it’s weight on the back of Marshall dominance.
Not to mention Dunstan (top 10 in the B&F last year) and potentially Bytel- who in his underage year had better numbers in the TAC Cup than everyone bar Sam Walsh, despite- like Walsh- being a year younger than most of the rest of that comp (including the likes of Worpel, Clark, Dow, LDU and Cerra).

Then had his draft year ruined by a bad back injury, but was training with our main group by the end of last season and then came 8th in the time trial to start this preseason, so is one, like King, who has the potential and ability to impact this year, if fit/available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back